• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My wife and I will "soon" be re-doing our kitchen - to include new appliances.

The choices are mind-boggling...

Which brands are y'all fond of? Note - we're not necessarily beholden to one particular brand for a whole "set". I've got my eye on a Bosch dishwasher - but don't really care about the range/oven or the fridge.

We'll also probably have to go with a combo range hood / microwave to give us more counter space. Not positive there. If it were as easy as just sliding in the microwave on a little "shelf" vs. a self-contained unit that would be great.

Budget is an issue - but we haven't set out pen to paper yet. Conservative would be $700-1000 for the dishwasher, $900-1000 for the GAS range/oven, and ~$2k for the fridge.

We're not even sure about what finish. Black or Stainless... And within stainless there's about half a dozen types. One thing for sure - she doesn't want the stove-top to be stainless. There are combo units out there that have a black paint / enamel stove top with stainless finish below.

(And then there's flooring...cabinets...lighting... *sigh*)

-J-

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We got an awesome Bosch dishwasher from hh Gregg cheaper than I could find online. I think we paid under $750. It has the third row on top and is freakishly quiet. That's my vote for one item.

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Dishwasher: Definitely go for either a Bosch or Kenmore dishwasher. Both are at the top of most ratings, last I knew (6 months ago). For that price range, you'll be able to get a very nice dishwasher and you should have no need for spending more. Once you get around 45 decibals on a dishwasher, most people can't tell the difference in further drops in volume. Don't spend more on this than your $700-$1000 idea.

Are you comfortable, though, with the fact that the Bosch dishwashers do not have heated dry cycles?

Range: Are you doing gas or electric?

Refrigerator: Samsung and LG have been on top in the refrigeration side of things for a while now. LG also manufactures some nice Kenmore refrigerators. Are you wanting French Door style or a Side by Side (fridge on right, freezer on left)?

On over-the-range microhoods: This is the industry standard now. They're much more powerful than your countertop microwaves and you'll enjoy having the extra space. I'm not sure what you meant about sliding it onto a shelf, but if you were talking about building a shelf and enclosing it in a wall, I would encourage: Do not go this route. If you're at all concerned about appearances, I've almost never had this work out well. Trim kits abound, yet are difficult to order and receive in a timely fashion, and none seem to ever work properly with your space without doing some cutting and refitting. Even then, most trim kits look dated and ugly. A standard range hood will cost you at least 2/3 of what you would pay for an over-the-range microhood combo. Just do the combo and enjoy. :)

--(former appliance salesman)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    We got an awesome Bosch dishwasher from hh Gregg cheaper than I could find online. I think we paid under $750. It has the third row on top and is freakishly quiet. That's my vote for one item.

Yeah - my mom has a Bosch, too. Really likes it.

Dishwasher: Definitely go for either a Bosch or Kenmore dishwasher. Both are at the top of most ratings, last I knew (6 months ago). For that price range, you'll be able to get a very nice dishwasher and you should have no need for spending more. Once you get around 45 decibals on a dishwasher, most people can't tell the difference in further drops in volume. Don't spend more on this than your $700-$1000 idea.

Are you comfortable, though, with the fact that the Bosch dishwashers do not have heated dry cycles?

Range: Are you doing gas or electric?

Refrigerator: Samsung and LG have been on top in the refrigeration side of things for a while now. LG also manufactures some nice Kenmore refrigerators. Are you wanting French Door style or a Side by Side (fridge on right, freezer on left)?

On over-the-range microhoods: This is the industry standard now. They're much more powerful than your countertop microwaves and you'll enjoy having the extra space. I'm not sure what you meant about sliding it onto a shelf, but if you were talking about building a shelf and enclosing it in a wall, I would encourage: Do not go this route. If you're at all concerned about appearances, I've almost never had this work out well. Trim kits abound, yet are difficult to order and receive in a timely fashion, and none seem to ever work properly with your space without doing some cutting and refitting. Even then, most trim kits look dated and ugly. A standard range hood will cost you at least 2/3 of what you would pay for an over-the-range microhood combo. Just do the combo and enjoy. :)

--(former appliance salesman)

Don't care for heated try on the dishwasher. We run ours at night most times - and things are generally "dry enough" by the following afternoon unloading that it'd be unnecessary.

It will be a gas range. Have an electric cooktop now. My wife HATES it.

As far as fridge: Not sure if we want a side-by-side or if we want an bottom freezer. Both my wife and I are quite tall and the thought of a bottom freezer, that we're into all the time, is the route we want to go.

What I was trying to describe as far as over-range-microwave/hood combo: A hood that had a built-in shelf where you could install your own microwave. Some of my in-laws purchased a VERY expensive whirlpool convection microwave/hood combo when they built their house 3 years ago. The microwave no longer works... And they don't have the money to replace the hood/nuker combo. I don't think they've had a repair estimated on it...

We already have a rather decent convection microwave that belonged to my mother-in-law. I'd just as soon use that one rather than buy another combo device that may have an expensive failure.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The first thing we did after we bought our house was rip the microwave/hood thing out and replace it with a real hood. We now keep a higher powered microwave across the room on a table. A nice Panasonic with tons of features for about $300 at Fry's. Over the stove units take a lot of abuse from grease and heat and die with alarming frequency. As your in-laws are learning. I'll never have another one. Real under the cabinet exhaust hoods are much better and easier to deal with. Available from Home Depot for about $130 for a nice stainless one. If you want to go the full power route get a real outside exhaust and do the renovation to exhaust to the outside. Those are more expensive but will keep grease and smoke outside. A bit harder to clean, but really nice.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    KitchenAid 6 or 7 quart stand mixer is invaluable to anyone who does any amount of baking. There are also antique hand-crank dough-kneaders that can get quite expensive, but they will also work when the power is out.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I have an open floor plan kitchen / living room and love my quiet Kitchen Aid dishwasher. The cheapie in the house before made it near impossible to watch tv with the dish washer going.

Mom im has a side by side and I sorta dislike it. Both sides are too narrow. Can't even fit a frozen Pizza laying down. I have a bottom freezer / single top door and greatly prefer it. Unfortunately, my cabinets are too low to fit most French door fridges like I want, so I'm just hanging on to this one until it dies. $2k should get you a nice one.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    We have a 1971 GE electric range that came with the house... I will shed a tear if we ever have to part with it. It's solid, thick, chromed and enameled American steel. It's a beauty and there is nothing like it on the market these days, but parts are extremely scarce.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Gas is not an option for us. Really wanted an induction stove. Supposed to be INCREDIBLE but would have busted the budget. $1000 for one. I love gas and would give it up for induction. No hot surface to deal with. = easy cleanup and no worries re kids getting burned.

Love our new Bosh dishwasher. There is a heated dry in it. I turned t off and thngs are still pretty dry when done.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Dude! $2k for a fridge? Is that what they go for these days?Find a Sears scratch and dent store. We got a stainless Kenmore a few years ago for half price just because it had three tiny dents on the exterior of the freezer drawer. Since it's a lower freezer drawer we hang a kitchen towel on the handle and you can't even see the dents.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Oh - we're for sure not above scratch and dent stuff!! There's a big Sears S&D store in Speedway. We plan on shopping there!

Our house is already fitted with a range hood vented to the outside.

Current microwave is on the counter but would love to have that space back.

We're also removing some hanging cabinets, removing a bulkhead, and moving the laundry into our back garage. Big pantry going in the vacated laundry closet.

Thinking cork flooring. New cabinets will be 42" up top and 3-4" higher than standard on the bottom.

Fun project...heh

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Whirpool is what I'd go with on the appliances. Don't touch Frigidaire... Loudest dishwasher I've ever heard.

If you're buying a new faucet, PM me first. I may or may not work for a manufacturer and can offer up some guidance. :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Whirpool is what I'd go with on the appliances. Don't touch Frigidaire... Loudest dishwasher I've ever heard.

If you're buying a new faucet, PM me first. I may or may not work for a manufacturer and can offer up some guidance. :)

Yep - new faucet will be included - along with the counter tops. Whole she-bang. Not sure if we'll go with natural stone, quartz, or acrylic. Heck, even stained concrete. Depends on the costs involved.

Cabinet guy is coming today to measure. Yay.

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Good on you for going gas with the range. I, too, hate electric.

You may have noticed this, but if you do go stainless steel for all these and you have an eye for details, you're going to find that different brands have slightly different tints to their stainless steels. A frustrating fact.

As for the microhood question: If you're wanting a convection microwave and all that, you probably are better off with the countertop model. Convection Microhoods are more in the range of $400 or so, much more than a traditional range hood. My concern would be, as some have cited, "more to go wrong" all in one appliance and you'd have to replace the whole thing. At the same time, I don't immediately agree about microhoods dying at an alarming rate. I've had microhoods last well over ten years. Most fall in the 7-10 year range. The ones that last longest are the simplest ones, though, so once again I would be hesitant to do a Convection Microhood model.

Have you considered whether or not you'll get a gas convection oven in the range? Perhaps that will influence your decision about the microhood.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Good on you for going gas with the range. I, too, hate electric.

You may have noticed this, but if you do go stainless steel for all these and you have an eye for details, you're going to find that different brands have slightly different tints to their stainless steels. A frustrating fact.

As for the microhood question: If you're wanting a convection microwave and all that, you probably are better off with the countertop model. Convection Microhoods are more in the range of $400 or so, much more than a traditional range hood. My concern would be, as some have cited, "more to go wrong" all in one appliance and you'd have to replace the whole thing. At the same time, I don't immediately agree about microhoods dying at an alarming rate. I've had microhoods last well over ten years. Most fall in the 7-10 year range. The ones that last longest are the simplest ones, though, so once again I would be hesitant to do a Convection Microhood model.

Have you considered whether or not you'll get a gas convection oven in the range? Perhaps that will influence your decision about the microhood.

Hadn't crossed the bridge yet if we'll get a bona-fide convection oven or not. Don't even know if we'll get a double/single...

Did see something like these at Lowe's the other day. Really caught our eyes: LG LRG3091ST: 5.4 cu. ft. Capacity Gas Single Oven Range | LG USA or LG LRG3093ST: 5.4 cu. ft. Capacity Gas Single Oven Range with Oval Burner and Griddle | LG USA

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The thing about Stainless Steel...

It ain't all the same. As mentioned above - if you mix brands, it won't all match. Not a super big deal to me.

What MAY be a big deal are the stainless finishes that you can put magnets on vs. those you can't. This may have to do with how thick the stainless steel is and if it happens to cover a standard steel chassis or not. Stainless, as we all know, isn't magnetic.

I have two young kids... If they/we can't stick things on the fridge - I'd imagine they wouldn't like that very much. ;)

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    You just can't win these days. Stainless gets scratched and shows finger prints like crazy, black has to be constantly dusted like it's a car and nobody wants white/eggshell any more lol

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Indy_Guy_77,

I know I am a bit weird about such things but when it comes to spending good money I want a good product.

I also know many people mean well but we all have different luck. One person may have a great experience with Kenmore while another may have a bad experience that leaves them sour.

Or you could find an excellent product with a good reputation like John Deere but is the extra price worth the quality?

This is why I subscribe to Consumer Reports and let them give me a fact based, unbiased review of the products that I am looking through. I choose the design, say a refrigerator with French doors, but amongst those I then refer to CR to show me what they are comparing and what they have found to be the "best" overall product.

It is AMAZING how much extra money one company can charge over another and yet have a poorer quality rating.

Once I pick a product using CR then I compare prices on that product amongst various dealers or distributors to get the best price on the best product.

Good luck on your choices!

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom