• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I recently purchased a Kimber and was told this was a good model to go with. Being new to the 1911, I have read different threads concerning "mims" and they should be replaced to make the weapon more reliable.

Was hoping to get some insight from more experienced 1911 owners as to what should be replaced and if anyone could recommend a good gunsmith. So far I have 250 rounds down range with no problems. Just want to avoid them if its possible.

Thanks in advance for any replies :):

Pictures038.jpg

Pictures047.jpg

Listing my pic for test

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So far I have 250 rounds down range with no problems.

Sounds like you're on your way to meeting the definition of "reliable" already.

My advice (WARNING: <--- Glock guy) is shoot it a bunch, and fix what fails.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Congrats on the TLE/ RL, you will love it. I have a std. TLE:

KimberTLE002.jpg

As a current Kimber owner, and having many in the past.... I agree: Shoot it until something breaks, no sense replacing good parts.

Many manufacturers use MIM parts, as with anything else its the quality or lack of in the individual parts that cause problems. Personally I have never had a parts breakage issue with my Kimbers. The only real issue other than magazines was with an External Extractor on a Series II pistol, Kimber replaced the slide with an Internal Extractor and all was well after that.

Another point of attack on the Kimbers is the plastic backstrap, but it were metal or SS then they would grip about the extra weight on their compact .45!!! Theres no winning with the general shooting public and especially on the internet.

Invest in good quality mags (Wilsons) and plenty of ammo and practice, practice and practice....

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    That just kills me. You dump almost 1 K in a pistol and you want to make sure it fires every time. Not trying to be a drag but gosh golly. I love the look of the Kimbers but would never of thought

MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Nice gun lock-n-load, I believe LAPD SWAT carries the Custom TLE and swears by them.

As far as the dropping 1K on a pistol.... I know what your saying Ricnzak... its just after buying this 1911 on recommendations from personal friends, I looked up all the rants on the internet and started to worry and try to come to a solution before an actual problem existed.

I must say im loving the gun... its reliable so far and is very accurate. I read that if it does FTE or FTF in the first 500 rounds im not suppose to panic. Its considered the break in period. In all I believe she will be a keeper!

Thanks for the replies

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    most "experts" do a lot more talking than shooting! I have a kimber ultra carry II and its an excellent, reliable pistol. I highly doubt you will have any trouble with yours. shoot it!

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    most "experts" do a lot more talking than shooting! I have a kimber ultra carry II and its an excellent, reliable pistol. I highly doubt you will have any trouble with yours. shoot it!

Exactly...... out of probably 10 Kimbers over the years I had issues w/ 1 pistol..... dont get me started on the issues I've had w/ SA 1911s.... but they definately have their following too.

Alot of guys bash SAInc M1As on the web too, but I have 4 now and they are fantastic!!!!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    both of my kimbers have all of the original internals. both run as well as anything else others might mention. shoot it. if it breaks, fix it. ALL mechanical devices will fail at some point. MTBF.
    were i to replace parts on any pistol, i would look for alternatives to the mim parts. just me, the mim parts are likely fine.

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    When I got my TLE ii, I had very serious problems with the slide, either not locking back, locking back too soon, very frustrating. Sent back to Kimber, quit using Wilson Combat magazines, and only Kimber mags, the Tac-Pro mags have worked perfectly for quite some time now.

FWIW, hopefully you'll have no trouble.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I've had my Kimber over 3 yrs now and haven't had any problems at all with it. MIM parts are fine, the problem is all the INTERNET experts who read of someone having problems, so therefore they repeat it as gospel.

That said no manufacturer (yes, even Glock, which I do own and carry at times) has put out 100% problem free products all the time (including the custom houses). Maybe to help put your mind at ease, Kimber is by far the largest manufacturer of 1911's out there (comparison for you Kimber 50,000 + a year, Springfield 15,000+ a year) and they have been doing it year after year.

Your Kimber TLE is going to be good, but if you still are worried about the MIM parts you can send it to me and I will shoot it for you until they fail :D

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    the problem is all the INTERNET experts who read of someone having problems, so therefore they repeat it as gospel.

:+1:

I always find the arguments against 1911's comical when you see the sources people use, my friends, buddies, brother said type BS.

I had a TLE for a few years and never had a problem with it let alone concerns over MIM parts. The reality is a properly made MIM part could out perform a poorly made tool steel part. Like others have stated just shoot it and have fun.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Ok, I'll be the only one to answer the OP's original question...

MIM stands for Metal Injection Molding. Do any of you know what that is?

They take powdered metal, mix it with plastics and binders and inject it into a mold. They then bake or burn off the binders leaving a part that is not as dense as or anywhere near as strong as a forged or machined piece of metal.

Yes, it's true. They simply cannot be as strong as SOLID metal. Argue all you want, you are wrong.

This is not to say a MIM part isn't strong enough and a piece made of tool steel isn't overkill. You all obviously get by with MIM and don't need it.

Remember, you are just as bad as those "other" guys that call MIM junk if you are just going to throw out a blanket statement that MIM is just fine, etc.

To the OP- You can visit many of the 1911 forums to find out which parts are MIM. I'd do it if I were you. You will undoubtedly want to replace certain parts anyway so you may as well get rid of the MIM first, right?

Another thing- MIM sears and fire control parts will NOT and cannot be as precisely formed as a piece machined from tool steel. This is why it is very common to replace the sear and related parts with tool steel versions.

Brownell's will have what you will want or need...

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Kinetics | Metal Injection Molding

Today, MIM is serving critical performance applications in a wide range of industries and products including, automotive, aerospace and defense, cellular telephones, dental instruments, electronic heat sinks and hermetic packages, electrical connector hardware, industrial tools, fiber optic connectors, fluid spray systems, hard disk drives, pharmaceutical devices, power hand-tools, surgical instruments, and sporting equipment.

Some of the places that MIM parts seem to be good for. Guess they must not be all bad.

Metal injection molding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The products of metal injection molding are up to 98% as dense as wrought iron and used in a broad range of applications (including medical, dental, firearms, aerospace, and automotive.)

The window of economic advantage in metal injection molded parts lies in the complexity and small size of the part. Tolerances as small as +/-.003" per linear inch can usually be held without secondary processes. The difficulty of fabrication through other means may make it inefficient or even impossible to manufacture otherwise.

Forged metal can and will fail if done wrong, the same as improperly made MIM part, that said again I would see if you are going to have a problem. The likely hood is slim to none (the same as your forged parts), and anyone who says different is wrong.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Quality MIM is quality MIM. The problem with Kimber was supposedly cheap MIM that would break. I think they fixed that.

As far as it being great for cell phones and being as dense as wrought iron, gimme a break. 1911s need to be a little tougher. wrought iron is very malleable afaik.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Quality MIM is quality MIM

You got my point, and as far as this statement,

The problem with Kimber was supposedly cheap MIM that would break

That PERCEIVED problem is what I meant by internet experts (and no I'm not meaning you and intend no offense towards you), there never has been a Kimber model wide manufacturing problem with MIM, but that is not to say they haven't had a few leave the factory that shouldn't have (again as any product manufacturer has). You again, can't be the top 1911 maker/seller (beating out your closest competitors some times by as much as 5 to 1) and not find "more" reported problems but still be statistically the same (if thats making any sense :)).

So back to the OP, buy/shoot your TLE in confidence and enjoy it. And my offer still stands :rockwoot:

Top Bottom