New insulin pump/CGM tech for diabetics.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My wife has been a type 1 diabetic for 30 years. When she was a kid her pancreas just quit working and produces no insulin. She has been on an insulin pump for over 10 years now and it has made her life easier.

At the beginning of this year, she upgraded to the Medtronic 670G system. It uses a continuous glucose monitoring sensor along with the insulin pump. The sensor reads her blood sugar every 5 minutes and sends it to the pump. The pump makes any adjustments needed. If her BG level starts to drop under a set level, the system will suspend the insulin delivery. This is the closest thing to an artificial pancreas so far. Her blood sugars have been doing much better as a result. They were not bad before but as anyone with diabetes will tell you, there is always room for improvement.

The CGM (continuous glucose monitoring) sensor stays on her for 7 days then needs changed out. The inset for the pump gets changed every 3 days. She checks her blood sugar about 4-5 times daily just to keep the CGM sensor calibrated. All of her readings are uploaded to her Dr. every week. He can make changes as needed.

The system is not cheap, even with good insurance. But for the results she's getting, I think it's worth it.

If you are/know of a insulin dependent diabetic, I would really recommend looking into this system. As of right now, Medtronic is the only company making a complete system. There are other companies that make insulin pumps and CGM's but they are not a "closed loop system" yet.

https://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/products/minimed-670g-insulin-pump-system

This is a pic of what the whole system is.

maxresdefault.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. I'll try to help answer anything I can.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I hope that works out well for her.

I know that some very smart people have been working on this technology for decades, with the genesis going back to before they technology was available to even accomplish what they knew could be done.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4464170A/en?oq=US4464170A

The name listed in the patent for one of the inventors of the system outlined there and my username is no coincidence.

JLJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Carmel
    The name listed in the patent for one of the inventors of the system outlined there and my username is no coincidence.

Very cool!

My 15 yo son has been Type 1 for 7 years. He is currently using the Omnipod pump and Dexcom 5 cgm. Unfortunately he refuses to switch to a tube pump. I hope that someday Omnipod will be able to work in conjunction with a cgm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Very cool!

My 15 yo son has been Type 1 for 7 years. He is currently using the Omnipod pump and Dexcom 5 cgm. Unfortunately he refuses to switch to a tube pump. I hope that someday Omnipod will be able to work in conjunction with a cgm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We really liked the Dexcom. It is SO much easier to put in than the Medtronic one. My wife tried the first Medtronic CGM with no success. It would fall out, not stick/stay where it should. When it did go in right, it would give bad readings. So far, those issues have been addressed with the newest sensor. If it hadn't been for the closed loop the Medtronic offered, she wanted the Dexcom.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Very interesting indeed.
    My wife has been type 1 diabetic since she was 7yo. When we first met (17yr ago) she was taking shots 3-4 times a day. We got her first insulin pump back @ 2003. She is on her 2nd pump from medtronic. It has made a big difference for her.
    Our insurance isn't the best (high deductable), I only wish it wasn't so expensive. Even the infusion (tube sets) are a bit pricey..couple that with the cost of insulin and yeah you get it.

It didn't bother me so bad until they started free needle exchanges for drug addicts.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I have a good friend who is Type 1, 37 years old. Years of drugs/alcohol have further wrecked his body. He's been clean and sober and involved in our church now for about 2 years, but his pancreas produces no insulin. He eats like a horse, but is skinny as a rail because his body can't absorb the nutrients. He is currently looking into a sub-dermal monitor that I think does a similar function to this. I will pass this on to him. He will definitely be interested.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not to be confused with the motorcycle expert or the subway builder I presume.

Correct. I have "Proficient Motorcycling", a great book, but not written by my Dad. I was not aware of the civil engineer...also not my Dad. the guy listed in the patent (and few others), I knew that guy very well.

I am sure he would be gratified to see where his work and the work of other in this realm has gone. What was once a severely limiting and life-shortening ailment is now very treatable.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My daughter is a Type 1. Uses a Medtronics pump and they gave her the same glucose monitor (or looks the same) shown in the photo but she didn't like it, it was not reading consistently for her. She stopped using it. That was about 2 years ago. It was a continuous monitor. My guess is they finally got it perfected so it works.

It will be interesting to see how this system works over a few months and what lifestyle improvements have occurred because of it.

Thanks for the updated information.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Correct. I have "Proficient Motorcycling", a great book, but not written by my Dad. I was not aware of the civil engineer...also not my Dad. the guy listed in the patent (and few others), I knew that guy very well.

I am sure he would be gratified to see where his work and the work of other in this realm has gone. What was once a severely limiting and life-shortening ailment is now very treatable.

If you’re going to have a fatal condition, this is the one to have.
    My wife was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 18.
    She finally got the CGM device which has been amazing.
    Still trying to talk her into the pump. So far, no go. But we will take what we can.

Your fathers work is appreciated.

Top Bottom