• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcshaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    I'm a fairly new hunter, and a woodworker.

Combine the two and you get me carving myself a longbow out of maple.

I read in the hunting regs that a bow needs to be #35 pull to hunt deer.

The archery shop helped me out today and told me that my pull was #31 at 27". That was pulling to my chin. It seems to me that a longer pull would increase weight. Such as pulling more to my ear.

I don't want to scrap this bow. But I definately want to be inside the law, and make ethical kills(no suffering animals for me, thanks).

How would DNR or other agency decide what the weight of my bow would be?

So am I just SOL on using this bow and should start hacking a new (thicker) piece of wood?

Or, is there something I could do to increase the weight.

Shortening the arms would increase the pull weight. But, I really like it as is, and don't really want to take that step.

Any help from someone with experience would be greatly appreciated.

I know asking on a gun forum may not be my best resource, but hey I hang out here.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Can't help you much. I do hunt with a long bow, but have no idea how the DNR would measure the weight. My concern would be more in line with your other one. Making sure the bow was up to the task of clean kills. You are right to think a longer draw will increase weight but I do not know how much. Good luck.

mrmarky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Brazil Indiana
    Add a backing (maybe snakeskin) it will increase the poundage by 5 to 7 pounds and its not that difficult. if you need any help lemme know. also , Unless your kinda short or have short arms , then 27" is a short draw length. seems to me that you should maybe be drawing the bow differently. If you shoot a three finger release (one finger over the arrow and two under) then you should be drawing the middle finger of the draw hand to the corner of your mouth as your anchor point. I'm here for ya Brutha.

Last edited:

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    To increase the weight of the bow you could put a sinew backing on it. I did that with a bow I built a few years ago, then applied rattlesnake skin over the sinew. Made a very sharp bow. I would post pics but I gave it to a friend not to long after I built it. For supplies or any help contact Tree Rivers Archery in Ashley IN. They are experts in traditional archery and very good people. Link below is for their bow building supplies and backings. Good luck with your bow and post pics when you are done.

Bow Building-Backings & Lumber-3Rivers Archery Equipment, Traditional Youth Archery Bows and Arrows, and Long Bow Hunting

Top Bottom