• ...and so much more!
  • ccrubaugh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    fishers
    Hey All,

Just thought I'd pick someone's brain about handguns. I've shot shotguns before but am interested in purchasing a handgun to go along with my small but growing collection. I've only spent about 2 hours on the range with a Sig P226. Any suggestions on brand I should look into? Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks
    C

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To ccrubaugh,

Welcome to :ingo:!

I am not a huge pistol guy myself but I know a lot will depend on what you want it for.

I would start with:

It feels good in the hand.
    You can hit the target with it.
    It feels good to the wallet.

Beyond that you can start many an argument over quality, caliber, etc.

If you want something for home defense all I will say is probably bigger than a .22, but you don't need a .45 - 70 to get the job done. If you are wanting to get into target shooting maybe the .22 IS the way to go? I will leave that for others to decide.

I do know that you don't need, nor should, spend a lot of money for a respectable personal defense weapon. However, you can spend a ton of money on a pistol if you get into all the fancy little doodads that can be done to one.

I hope this gives you some thoughts to ponder.

Regards,

Doug

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Did you like the 226? Do you have a caliber in mind? Do you know if you want polymer or metal? What are you going to do with it (carry, target, nightstand gun).
    Your question is just a little to open ended. If you could answer these basic questions it would help to put you in the right direction. If you start looking through both the general firearms and the hand gun sub forums there is a lot of really good info on many different handguns. I know there are these same questions answered for Glock, FNH, CZ, 1911s, Sig, and who knows what else.

Also welcome to INGO:ingo:

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Welcom to INGO!

boogieman summed it up pretty well. Start by telling us what you want to do with the handgun and then you will get some more direct answers and guidance. There a lot of "good" handguns out there and peoples suggestions will be different depending on your answers on intended use.

As you start getting some suggestions, look at reviews and pretty pictures and if at all possible get your hands on some different guns to see what fits well and feels good to you.

Good luck in your search.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    Hey All,

Just thought I'd pick someone's brain about handguns. I've shot shotguns before but am interested in purchasing a handgun to go along with my small but growing collection. I've only spent about 2 hours on the range with a Sig P226. Any suggestions on brand I should look into? Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks
    C

Welcome to the forum ccrubaugh, there's a lot to learn here! Anyway, I just got into handgun (and guns in general) about a year ago.. I would highly recommend the Walther PPQ or the H&K VP9.. I own both of these guns in 9mm and they are spectacular. I would recommend getting your LTCH if you don already have it, go with the lifetime so that you won't have to mess with renewing it. My best advice is just to rent as many different guns as you can to see what caliber and gun fits you best.

ccrubaugh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    fishers
    I appreciate all the replies! I did like the Sig it was pretty smooth, and actually shot a Glock as well .40. It was a little more snappy I thought but not bad. In my first purchase, I'm looking to go to the range and just shoot since I enjoyed it so much. Further down the line I would probably get a fire arm for home protection but I assume I wouldn't use the same? Maybe that is just my rookie assumption though.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    I appreciate all the replies! I did like the Sig it was pretty smooth, and actually shot a Glock as well .40. It was a little more snappy I thought but not bad. In my first purchase, I'm looking to go to the range and just shoot since I enjoyed it so much. Further down the line I would probably get a fire arm for home protection but I assume I wouldn't use the same? Maybe that is just my rookie assumption though.

You can certainly use the same pistol for range fun and home/self defense. Any of the big manufacturers will make reliable firearms that can be used for both. Some people will argue that a shotgun is better for home defense than a handgun, but it's personal preference really and all goes back to your knowledge of each and training/practice.

If you liked shooting a pistol on the range, wait until you get ahold of an AR type weapon! :ar15:

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Welcome to INGO !

Don't be afraid to ask questions on here. Varied backgrounds & experiences on this sight. I shopped for almost a month before buying my XDS-9 back in April . Still think it was a good buy for me. Many on here will argue for what ever they are carrying. Like said before touchy ,feelly is the best policy. Good luck!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Find the gun you like, buy multiple copies.

Go to school. Buys lots of mags and ammo.

Ammo is a bridge between money and skill.

This ^ is the answer.

As far as a particular pistol, I'd say go to a range that has a few different pistols you can rent and try them out.

Generally I'd say check out the S&W M&P series, Glock (19 is a great one to start with), possibly the Ruger's (SR9, etc). Pick the one that feels best/has the features you are looking for/that you shoot well.

Personally for someone new to pistols, I'd say go 9mm, possibly 45. I'd tend to recommend not going with a .40.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Welcome to INGO.

The objective is subjective.

I recommend training and allowing your software to pick your hardware.
    You have to forgive Kirk. He is a lawyer.

Welcome to INGO.
    I would suggest 9mm for a first pistol if you plan on using it for self defense. Ammo is fairly cheep ($24/100 rounds at Wallyworld) and easy to shoot. As for brand and model, I would suggest going to Gander Mtn, hold a Glock 19, a Smith & Wesson M&P, a Springfield XD, and any other 9mm that looks good to you before you think about buying one.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    The Sig you played with at the range is a great option.

If you purchase a gun for home protection or to carry, it definitely should be one that gets shot frequently at the range so you can keep up your skills with it.

Don't purchase a gun for home protection, take it home and throw it in a drawer and call it good.

Just because you buy a guitar does not make you a master at guitar picking.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    As many have said, any gun would work it's more of a matter of how you want to use it. Keep in mind though any gun CAN be used for home defense or range time, though some more preferable than others. And a wide variety of pistols can fill multiple roles as well. But for a first handgun purchase, it's a wise idea to shoot several and see what you like and shoot the best.

Ammo cost is a consideration, other things to think about is aftermarket support, magazine availability, intended use/s, your physical limitations (if any), and features you may want or not want. Shooting a wide variety of guns will allow you the opportunity for some of these along with research.

ponch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    don't forget about checking out a revolver, sometimes for a newbie they're easyier to learn basic shootin

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I highly recommend 9mm handguns to start due to lower recoil and slightly cheaper ammo, as far as what brand or size it is an open book as it is based on what fits your hand better. After many years of trial end error I now carry a G26 and M&P 9 full size and also have the M&P 9 pro 5 inch, I you ever want to give them a try I would be more than happy to meet at the range some time.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I highly recommend 9mm handguns to start due to lower recoil and slightly cheaper ammo, as far as what brand or size it is an open book as it is based on what fits your hand better. After many years of trial end error I now carry a G26 and M&P 9 full size and also have the M&P 9 pro 5 inch, I you ever want to give them a try I would be more than happy to meet at the range some time.

Very nice of you and I'll make a similar offer. I have 3 1911's in .45, a 5" Walther PPQ, a gen 3 G19 and G34, an M&P 45c and an M&P Shield in 9mm. As long as you bring ammo and pay for the lane time, I'm happy to meet and let you shoot any of these you'd like.

As others have said, the best thing to do is to shoot as many different models of handgun as you can before you make your decision. Read the forums, watch some gun reviews and shoot what you find interesting until you find one that fits your needs. I would advise starting with 9mm, as previously stated, for the low recoil and price of ammo. Once you get familiar with shooting that caliber, you may want to try others. Good luck and welcome to INGO :)

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Very nice of you and I'll make a similar offer. I have 3 1911's in .45, a 5" Walther PPQ, a gen 3 G19 and G34, an M&P 45c and an M&P Shield in 9mm. As long as you bring ammo and pay for the lane time, I'm happy to meet and let you shoot any of these you'd like.

As others have said, the best thing to do is to shoot as many different models of handgun as you can before you make your decision. Read the forums, watch some gun reviews and shoot what you find interesting until you find one that fits your needs. I would advise starting with 9mm, as previously stated, for the low recoil and price of ammo. Once you get familiar with shooting that caliber, you may want to try others. Good luck and welcome to INGO :)
    Don't let him try a 1911! You know they aren't good beginner guns and everything else will feel like crap after that!

Top Bottom