New guy Looking at Springfields. Look nice, why would I get a Glock over these?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    After reading about how Glocks explode on people and have caused people to shoot themselves, I decided to check out SPRINGFIELD line.

Wow pretty guns! Im new to alot of jargon forgive me but...

I kind of am interested in a Sprinfield 4 inch barrel with extended grip/mag or a 3.5 inch barrel with extended grip/mag.

What is the real difference?

Should one go 40 45 or another caliber?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The first question is what do you want to do with it? Home defense? carry gun? Target shooting?

The only 4" model is a their "service" model and is considered a full size handgun. There isn't a factory extended mag or grip for it. The subcompacts do have that option available.

I have a preference for 9mm or .45acp. The .40 is, IMO a bogus round designed to answer a question one idiot bureaucrat asked.

The 4" XD is a great dual purpose handgun. Well suited for home/personal protection and also does equally well for target shooting.

I've found I'm generally as accurate with the subcompact XD as well.

The larger 5" tactical XD or XDM is a tad too big for daily carry IMO but they make nice beside handguns.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Yeah, with all the people shooting themselves because they use a Glock over an XD, why would you risk it? All shooters with faulty cranium mounted safety's should be required to use firearms with frame mounted safety's.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yeah, with all the people shooting themselves because they use a Glock over an XD, why would you risk it? All shooters with faulty cranium mounted safety's should be required to use firearms with frame mounted safety's.

What about Tex? :): Sorry couldn't help it.

On a more serious note, some gLock fourtays have exploded and I've always wondered, what percentage of shootings occur with gLocks over other brands.... hard to say because of the vast numbers of gLocks... not to mention it's biased yet again by the number of LEO's who carry gLocks and either shoot themselves or leave them in bathrooms....

On a more serious note, if I was looking at a polymer framed handgun the XD and gLock would be #1 and #2 on my list, respectively.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    After reading about how Glocks explode on people and have caused people to shoot themselves, I decided to check out SPRINGFIELD line.

I kind of am interested in a Sprinfield 4 inch barrel with extended grip/mag or a 3.5 inch barrel with extended grip/mag.

The Springfield XD is a good gun, except for one very glaring error, in my estimation: the grip "safety" which prevents a shooter from running the slide if it is not depressed. That is a deal breaker for me.

There are no perfect guns, and Glock is no exception. However, there are reasons why about 2/3 of all law enforcement agencies use them, and first among those reasons is reliablity.

Rest assured that neither federal agencies, nor police departments, nor sheriff's departments, nor non-LEO folks (including me) would have guns known to be prone to kabooms or that cause self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

Regarding your question about calibers, that deceased equine has been beaten into an un-recognizable grease spot! The 9mm, .40, and .45 acp all have their advantages and disadvantages, but they all perform well from a terminal ballistic standpoint with the right ammunition. A good place to learn about calibers and terminal/wound ballistics is here:

Terminal Ballistic Information - M4Carbine.net Forums
    Read among the top 25 "sticky" threads.

Hope this helps.

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    May I suggest the M&P 9c? This is a great gun. Very nice trigger, accurate, and light. Also you get great service from smith if you encounter issues. Combine this with the adjustable backstrap and you have a weapon that will feel great in your hand. I would probably put my rankings at the M&P, the glock, then the xd.

mutt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    and here I thought he was thinking about a 1911 over a glock

which would be a totally different conversation

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Ohh geesh here we go......... XD v Grock v M&P v 1911 v Hi-Point (JK about HP's) Every body knows that the ultimate in firearms technology is the Kel-Tec P-11!!!!!

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    While I'm an XD guy (have 2, XDm-9 & XDm-45), try as many different guns as you can. Find the one that YOU shoot best. Glocks are great guns, BUT they don't fit me. I've never picked up one that felt good in my hand. My 2nd choice is the M&P; my daughter has the 9c, and it shoots real well. Good Luck -- Greg

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    To be clear; I AM a Glock guy. But, in the spirit of the thread, I thought these would provide a few chuckles.

2zi615y.gif

2bb1mv.jpg

34sfedk.jpg

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    There are no perfect guns, and Glock is no exception. However, there are reasons why about 2/3 of all law enforcement agencies use them, and first among those reasons is reliablity.

And here I thought it was because Glocks were less expensive. Silly me... :rolleyes: They do make nice paperweights though.

Seriously, if you're going to look at an XD, get the Sub Compact. They are so much easier to carry than the full size. I carry the XD9SC and love it.

hoosierbulldog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Brownsburg

There are many, many threads on Glocks vs XD and other such comparisons so check it out and read as much as you can. I don't own a Glock, but I do like them. I own an XDm compact and I really like it, it's comfortable in the grip to me and that's the important part that you want to check. The Glock, I believe, has a grip that is slightly different from the XD but still nice. I also liked the grip safety on the XD, it might take a minute to get used to it, but in the end you just have to grip the gun the way you would normally grip and you are good to go. Having said this, check them all out...they all have some nice weapons and each company has their different designs. Happy hunting.

Top Bottom