• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Senator Holdman has introduced SB 94, a bill to repeal the provision of state statute that allows purchase of long guns across state lines for our bordering states for our citizens and theirs.

On the surface, this would seem to be against what we'd want, but the fact is that this provision is what the ATF uses to justify restricting these purchases to only those states.

I support the passage of this bill into law.

At this writing, this appears to be the only gun-related bill being introduced.

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I'll have to read up on this a bit. Travis Holdman is my State Senator. If this is a good thing, I'll write him a note of support and thanks. At this moment, I don't know if it is good or bad.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You're half right Bill. Repealing this law will allow determining eligibility of rifles and shotguns purchases under federal law. However, it will not expand the geography where you may purchase or sell a firearm. ATF is guided by the GCA, not state law. ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

ATF has given the explanation that because our state law specifies (in accordance with GCA prior to the 1986 amendment) that we may purchase in those specific states it meant we could ONLY purchase in those states.
    BATFE said:
    Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
    A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
    (emphasis mine)

So, once the bill becomes law, if I happen to go to a gun store in Texas while visiting family and find a long gun I want, I may purchase it then and there and bring it home with me.

Texas state law said:
    Sec. 46.07. INTERSTATE PURCHASE. A resident of this state may, if not otherwise precluded by law, purchase firearms, ammunition, reloading components, or firearm accessories in another state. This authorization is enacted in conformance with 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(3)(A).

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Renumbered from Penal Code Sec. 46.08 by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.
    Amended by:
    Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 280, Sec. 1, eff. May 30, 2009.

I understand your point. ATF is not guided by state law unless they choose to use it to interpret the GCA, where applicable.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    UPDATE:

SB 131 Introduced by Sen. Randolph would would allow owners to forbid firearms at petroleum refineries.

SB 147 Introduced by Sen. Steele would decriminalize the transport of a firearm taken to/from range or possession at a range.

SB 153 Introduced by Senators Steele and Delph would provide for the creation of lifetime hunting/fishing licenses for disabled vets at reduced cost.

SB 154 introduced by Sen. Steele would decriminalize the carry of firearms on off-road or snowmobiles

HB 1036 introduced by Rep. Reske would remove the requirement for vets and retired LEO to take hunter ed course.

Blessings,
    Bill

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Sounds good so far: Getting rid of that stupid thing regarding permit needed to go to the range probably holds alot of folks back. Also seems very "sportsman" oriented too in the laws desired.

Randolph seems like a Jagov :D, trying to legislate common sense. One would think that firing off a gun around all that petrol would be a bad idea... :D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sounds good so far: Getting rid of that stupid thing regarding permit needed to go to the range probably holds alot of folks back. Also seems very "sportsman" oriented too in the laws desired.

Randolph seems like a Jagov :D, trying to legislate common sense. One would think that firing off a gun around all that petrol would be a bad idea... :D
    Sounds like Randolph is trying to add refineries and storage/distribution to the to the parking lot exclusion bill. No thanks.

Besides, Mythbusters already "shot down" the exploding gas tank with a bullet myth.:D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sounds like Randolph is trying to add refineries and storage/distribution to the to the parking lot exclusion bill. No thanks.

Besides, Mythbusters already "shot down" the exploding gas tank with a bullet myth.:D

If you read her bill, that is precisely what she's doing, which is why I colored that one red and the others green.

I would be unsurprised if she passes this, her next goal will be to criminalize possession of a firearm on the grounds or within 1000 yards of a gas station.

Blessings,
    Bill

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I would be unsurprised if she passes this, her next goal will be to criminalize possession of a firearm on the grounds or within 1000 yards of a gas station.

That would be bad... I live with 1000 yards of a gas station. I wonder if that would mean I have to move, or if im exempt.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I still want to know the legalities of my father, a citizen of the Commonwealth of Kentucky purchasing a handgun and GIVING it to me as a GIFT and I am a citizen of Indiana. Are there any laws I need to be made aware of?

INGunGuy

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That would be bad... I live with 1000 yards of a gas station. I wonder if that would mean I have to move, or if im exempt.

It would depend on the phrasing of the law, but the current GFSZ law makes exception for residences within the specified distance from a school.

I still want to know the legalities of my father, a citizen of the Commonwealth of Kentucky purchasing a handgun and GIVING it to me as a GIFT and I am a citizen of Indiana. Are there any laws I need to be made aware of?

INGunGuy

IIRC, he could will it to you as part of his inheritance, but to transfer it otherwise across state lines would require a 01 FFL dealer.

Blessings,
    Bill

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    It would depend on the phrasing of the law, but the current GFSZ law makes exception for residences within the specified distance from a school.

IIRC, he could will it to you as part of his inheritance, but to transfer it otherwise across state lines would require a 01 FFL dealer.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill,

Even a father to son transfer huh... wow... well what about him loaning me the gun for an extended period? I know you arent a lawyer, and I am NOT asking for legal advice, just making small talk...

INGunGuy

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    SB 147 Introduced by Sen. Steele would decriminalize the transport of a firearm taken to/from range or possession at a range.

This is an excellent idea. We've been saying it amongst ourselves, so it's nice to learn that there's a chance that'll get fixed this session.

SB 154 introduced by Sen. Steele would decriminalize the carry of firearms on off-road or snowmobiles

Sounds good. Would that be without LTCH? Or is it currently illegal to carry on a snowmobile even with LTCH? I'm a little confused on what this one is going to be doing... but I think I like it.

Last edited:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Sounds good. Would that be without LTCH? Or is it currently illegal to carry on a snowmobile even with LTCH? I'm a little confused on what this one is going to be doing... but I think I like it.

Yeah, my first response to this one was....whoops. I think it may have to do with private vs. public land. Surely it can't be illegal to take a 4 wheeler to the back of of a piece of private property while transporting a firearm.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    UPDATE:

SB 131 Introduced by Sen. Randolph would would allow owners to forbid firearms at petroleum refineries.

SB 153 Introduced by Senators Steele and Delph would provide for the creation of lifetime hunting/fishing licenses for disabled vets at reduced cost.

HB 1036 introduced by Rep. Reske would remove the requirement for vets and retired LEO to take hunter ed course.

Blessings,
    Bill

:hijack:
    What about the text of the bill INGO (special group) was working on regarding OKing LTCH and NON-Public schools when the school is NOT in session?

Any word on where that is going?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    UPDATE:

It's almost like someone reads this forum.

Maybe we should petition Mr.Steel to add "hunting" then we can get rid of the pesky Qualified license that no one gets anyway.

Top Bottom