• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yes, I crossed even further over to the dark side. The AR was the first step, I let the EBD get the best of me and built a .22, couldn't justify it, so I traded it for a G19 and a Mossberg 500. :D Can't go wrong there! :):

So, being a new Glock owner, I gots me some questions. First, How can I tell a Gen1 G19 from a Gen2? It's not a Gen 3 cause it has the smooth grip and not the ergo one like the Gen3s. I had a diagram that showed the difference, but not owning a glock at the time I never saved it. :facepalm:

Second, can I shoot +P in a G19? I love the Powerball rounds but don't want to waste money on something I can't shoot. Those jokes I used to tell about Glocks exploding came from somewhere and I don't want to find out the hard way... :laugh:

It came with a Lasermax Guide Rod Laser, but I traded that for the Mossberg. Don't want a laser, I'd rather practice and get to be a better shot without it. Plus it's just more batteries I'd need to buy and cram into my GO bag. :n00b: So I learned quick how to dismantle the take down and can quickly take down the pistol for cleaning.

So my next question is, beyond normal take down, what else should I know about the G19 and parts that may need replaced down the line? What parts wear the fastest and what parts will eventually need replaced? I would like to eventually take the back plate on the slide and replace it with one that has an American flag on it, or just have my current one duracoated.

I guess I probably could have found these answers on my own by searching the forums, but have you typed in Glock 19 or G19 and seen how many results there are?!?!?!?!?!?! :lmfao: At least I know I picked a good gun for everyday carry. I've yet to take it to the range so I'm not carrying her yet. Plus I don't have a good OC holster for it either....

Anyway, any help would be awesomely appreciated!

:patriot::ingo::shoot:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    1st generation dont have the checkering on the front and back strap and the texture is different on the 1st and 2nd gen.

i believe that +p is ok in glocks.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    welcome to the best pistol ever created!!!

for OC and CC in the right shirt/sweatshirt, i like the fobus paddle style holster. decent enough retention without having something to actually push or move and a very cheap price of about 20-25 bucks

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    welcome to the best pistol ever created!!!

for OC and CC in the right shirt/sweatshirt, i like the fobus paddle style holster. decent enough retention without having something to actually push or move and a very cheap price of about 20-25 bucks

+1 i carry my glock 26 in a fobus paddle. i dont feel like good leather holster is necessary...for a 1911? yes. glock? not so much.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I got my Baby Eagle now for BBQ carry. My glock is now the work whorse. :D

I will most likely OC it more than CC and have a good CC holster already. My old Nylon Smith and Wesson Sigma holster works good and holds it in place well. I'll try the Fobus, but not sure I like them. :dunno:

Either way, holsters are not a main concern. The other questions are more prudent. Plus I'd like to know more about the +P.

Thanks for answering about the Generation gap problem I have a second Gen. :rockwoot: Don't like light rails anyhow. :D

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    So my next question is, beyond normal take down, what else should I know about the G19 and parts that may need replaced down the line? What parts wear the fastest and what parts will eventually need replaced? I would like to eventually take the back plate on the slide and replace it with one that has an American flag on it, or just have my current one duracoated.

If there is any copper lube inside dont clean it off. It is from the factory and is for break-in, however being a gen 2 its prob gone.there are a few parts inside the trigger and bolt assembly that dont get lubed as they gum up and cause prob but you cant get to them by doing a basic field strip. Most Glock armorers I have talked to only recommend (from their schooling) like 6 points of lubing during the field strip. I have always just EZOXXed the full length inside and out with a quick fan spray once over.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    I dont think anything really will wear out, unless you are a very hardcore shooter that does thousands of rounds. I like to strip the glocks once or twice a year and Qtip the firing pin channel in the slide and make sure there isnt any lint inside.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If there is any copper lube inside dont clean it off. It is from the factory and is for break-in, however being a gen 2 its prob gone.there are a few parts inside the trigger and bolt assembly that dont get lubed as they gum up and cause prob but you cant get to them by doing a basic field strip. Most Glock armorers I have talked to only recommend (from their schooling) like 6 points of lubing during the field strip. I have always just EZOXXed the full length inside and out with a quick fan spray once over.

:rockwoot: Still have some copper lube inside it and have some EZOXX! :D I'd be interested in seeing these 6 points of lubing on the pistol.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Glock 19's have a NATO stock number (1005/66/132/7731), meaning they are able to handle the pressures of a 9x19mm NATO round, roughly a 36,500 psi load, without issues. +p loads are rated around 36,000 psi by SAAMI. So, fire all the +p ammo you would like, you're not hurting anything.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Is the part of the Serial Number that I DON'T have xxxxed out mean anything special?

ACBxxx US

Just curious.

Any good links to read up on the glocks?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'd be interested in seeing these 6 points of lubing on the pistol.

Per the manual:
    lubing.jpg

To properly lubricate your Glock pistol, after it has been thoroughly cleaned and dried, use a clean patch that has been slightly dampened with a quality gun oil. Wipe the barrel, the inside of the slide where the barrel hood rides against the slide and wipe the barrel lug at the bottom of the barrel. Apply one drop to each of the slide rail grooves (once the slide is moved on the receiver, the oil will be distributed to each of the slide rails). The most important drop of oil is placed where the trigger bar and connector meet. Failure to properly lubricate the junction of the trigger bar and connector can lead to premature wear and a very heavy trigger pull.

Do not over-lubricate your Glock. Glock pistols are designed to operate properly with only small amounts of lubrication. Over-lubrication can cause the gun to collect large amounts of burnt and unburnt powder, brass shavings, dirt, lint and other foreign matter that can affect the proper functioning of your gun.

WARNING

Do not put oil inside the firing pin channel, around the extractor, on the breech face, any where near the barrel chamber or feed ramp, nor in the magazine. These areas should be kept clean and free from lubricant. Lubricant in these areas can cause contamination to primers and result in a failure to fire.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Actually, my manual says nothing about cleaning it. I read it 4 times today, but I still went back to double check. The book is dated June 1991. :dunno: Pre-Ban Manual? :): Must be worth something though right? :D

I appreciate all the help guys. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions.

Still, I'd like to know how to take the back plate off. Also, I'm looking at these Lone Wolf parts. How good is laser engraving and does it have a tendency to get rubbed off or anything?

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Laser Engraving

I have had mine laser engraved for over a year and it gets carried quite a bit. I have not noticed any real wear. I think I have a picture of it in my album or if you want to see it up close come by Bradis when I am working and you are more than welcome to check it out.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The book is dated June 1991. :dunno: Pre-Ban Manual? :):

Sorry, should have clarified... I believe the diagram is from the Armorer's Manual.

Still, I'd like to know how to take the back plate off.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu9dVS...press/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/GlockUAM.doc

Is the part of the Serial Number that I DON'T have xxxxed out mean anything special? ACBxxx US

The 3-letter prefix can tell you when the gun was built, although there's no direct correlation of the letters to months/years or anything like that. Per the Serial Number Research Project on GT, your gun was built in June of 1992. The "US" suffix indicated guns built for the US market; Glock stopped using it a few years back.

Also, I'm looking at these Lone Wolf parts.

Do yourself a favor and shoot the gun for awhile before changing or customizing anything. This is the best firearm decision you've ever made... don't muck it up. ;)

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have had mine laser engraved for over a year and it gets carried quite a bit. I have not noticed any real wear. I think I have a picture of it in my album or if you want to see it up close come by Bradis when I am working and you are more than welcome to check it out.

Sweet. I was thinking about having my Baby Eagle Laser Engraved since it'll be my BBQ carry gun now. The Lone Wolf site just gave me some cool ideas is all. Not that I'll have the money for that for a while! :):
    :rockwoot: I'm so proud of you! Welcome to the dark side. :buddies: :bacondance:

It's tingly and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. But I was promised Bacon and Cookies. I see bacon, but no cookies! :crying:

Do yourself a favor and shoot the gun for awhile before changing or customizing anything. This is the best firearm decision you've ever made... don't muck it up. ;)

Dood you're the man! Appreciate the help. OMG.. is that a compliment?

smiley-bounce016.gif

:laugh:

I just planned on changing the Slide Cover Plate (or having it painted) and adding a grip Plug to the gun. I wished so bad they'd made a plug for the Baby Eagle after I'd seen the Glock ones. Now I can finally get one! :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom