• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I am the proud new owner of an ESEE 5 from the Knife Lady. AS you all should know she is awesome to deal with and pleasant to talk too. Her selection of knives seems to be outstanding.

My question is this. Since this is a high carbon steel blade and will rust the instructions say to use a dry film rust inhibitor on the blade. What do you guys use and recommend? Also do you treat all of the steel including the exposed steel in the handle or just the cutting edge? How often do you use the product?

Thanks in advance.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I personally keep mine as clean as possible; after you're finished using it, clean it off with a towel // rag and coat it with some breakfree CLP.

I have 6 ESEE knives - seems to be doing the trick thus far.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    All you guys are awesome and I really appreciate your business and all the kind words. You can also use rem oil and leave you knife out of the sheath when not in use. I would clean it for sure after each use if possible. You dont have to baby these knives but keeping the rust off should not be that much of a challenge. :D

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    ESEE recommends a tuf glide cloth. I've been using these knives all over the world for years and haven't had any problems with rust. I clean them and dry them off before putting them away. I have seen some of the laser seal rust with neglect but it was mostly surface. A toothbrush and some CLP or watered-down vinegar will get it off.

Don't worry, the knives were made to be abused, not just used.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    ESEE recommends a tuf glide cloth. I've been using these knives all over the world for years and haven't had any problems with rust. I clean them and dry them off before putting them away. I have seen some of the laser seal rust with neglect but it was mostly surface. A toothbrush and some CLP or watered-down vinegar will get it off.

Don't worry, the knives were made to be abused, not just used.

Whatever he says you can take it to the bank about these knives. :rockwoot:

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    ESEE are some great knives. I have used all kinds of oils from vegetable oil to WD-40. As long as there is something to protect it and you keep it clean you will be good. I would recommend the vegetable oil if you are going to use it to clean game or cut anything you want to eat.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Knifelady does have a great selection of knives, and is absolutely awesome to deal with..!!! Her partner,, the guy that sells the folding knives isn't to shabby either...!!!! Got ya' covered Brad...!!!! :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Never admit it brad! Even if it is true. You guys are both great people and hopefully I will be able to buy my esee 5 in the near future. As far as WD40 goes, I wouldn't use it as a storage oil, because it is also degreaser. And will evaporate over time. PB blaster is awesome stuff, or like the knife lady said rem oil is another good one.

Last edited:

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I have a Ka-Bar that has the same steel designation as your ESEE. It is ten years old and has seen a lot of field use and storage time. Never had a problem with rust. If you just clean it after use and apply some oil, it will be OK.

Top Bottom