• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    I finally took possession of the Caspian Commander that my gunsmith has been building for me. Seven months from the day I dropped of the frame and slide, the gun was ready. I really have to thank Ray Saltzman of Saltzman Gunworks Incorporated for doing such great work.
    Caspian2.jpg

The part list is as follows:
    Caspian commander frame
    Caspian commander slide with integral plunger tube
    10-8 Performance rear sight
    10-8 Perfornance flat trigger
    Novak Tritium front sight
    Wilson bullet proof magazine release
    Wilson bullet proof slide stop
    Wilson bullet proof extractor
    Wilson narrow combat safety
    Wilson extended ejector
    Wilson firing pin
    EGW oversized firing pin stop
    EGW barrel bushing
    EGW bar stock ignition kit
    EGW hammer strut
    Kart NM barrel
    Smith & Alexander grip safety
    Davidson's Horned Lizard stocks
    Ed Brown bobtail MSH
    Ed Brown recoil guide and plug
    ISMI springs
    IonBond finsh

I need to take more (and better) picutres to really show off the great work Ray did. From the serrations on the top and rear of the slide to the contours of the barrel bushing and the high cut grip, he did a super job.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    very nice 1911!! That sure is a beauty! I've never shot one with a flat trigger, whats the advantage of it?

For me the advantage is purely subjective. It simply "feels" better than a curved trigger. To underscore, for me, the two types of trigger feel very different and make the shooting experience different but others may not find there to be so much of a difference.

Also, the pull is the same no matter where you place your finger on the trigger. With a curved trigger, the center of the trigger is less of a reach for your finger than the top and bottom of the trigger. With the flat trigger, it's the same distance from top to bottom.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Very,very nice.You're not really going to shoot it and get it dirty are you?I really like the stocks.

I put 150 rounds through it at Ray Saltzman's "behind the shop gun range" the day I picked it up and another 200 through it last weekend. I'll me shooting it some more this weekend. The 3.5 pound trigger breaks so sweetly, I cannot hardly shoot anything else right now.

By the way, this pistol is meant for hard use, shooting a lot, and getting dirtly if necessary. I don't purchase firearms that have to be babied or treated gently. The IonBond finish it tough.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    That's sweet. So If you don't mind, how much did that run you? I've been entertaining the idea of a caspian built 45 long slide.

Thanks for kind words.

As far as price, it was not as cheap as a Glock but probably less expensive than a full custom build by Heirloom Precision. The price can vary a lot based on what you want the gunsmith to do and what quality of parts you specify. I suggest you figure out what you want, then talk to Ray or another competent gunsmith. Make sure the gunsmith understands what you want. The gunsmith will probably be able to give you a quote as to the approximate price of the pistol and the price with different options.

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I put 150 rounds through it at Ray Saltzman's "behind the shop gun range" the day I picked it up and another 200 through it last weekend. I'll me shooting it some more this weekend. The 3.5 pound trigger breaks so sweetly, I cannot hardly shoot anything else right now.

By the way, this pistol is meant for hard use, shooting a lot, and getting dirtly if necessary. I don't purchase firearms that have to be babied or treated gently. The IonBond finish it tough.
    Just messin with you :D.I have seen a lot of really nice firearms in my life,and have asked "how does it shoot?'.Answer "Oh I don't shoot it!"

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Just messin with you :D.I have seen a lot of really nice firearms in my life,and have asked "how does it shoot?'.Answer "Oh I don't shoot it!"

I've had the same experience. I never know whether I should pity them for not getting to shoot the nice firearm or wring their necks for wasting such a nice firearm.

Top Bottom