• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DestructionDan

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    IN KY
    She stated with 380 ammo could not be found so I got her a 9mm kel-tec and we both hated it. Then I got her a G26 and it didn't fit her hand "just right" sold that, got her a LC9 she likes that but has a hard time with racking the slide. I picked up a 38spl and she likes it but I hate stocking yet another round in the safe.
    I was thinking about the Charter Arms Pitbull 9mm 5 shot.
    But not being a wheel gun guy, what the recoil going to be like on that vs lets say the Glock 26 or Charter Arms 38spl she has yet to shoot?

Please don't rag on the Charter, it's a fine no frills CCW gun for anyone!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Recoil on M&P9 is very low, and PSA has them for $399. I have a FS and a Compact, and they are both balls accurate. The compact is my EDC, and the FS is my range/course shooter. For the value, they can't be beat.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    The one that "she" likes. "She" needs to try some out to find the best fit for her.
    It does not matter at ALL whether "you" like the gun or not.
    Better if you keep your opinion about it to yourself so as to not influence what feels right to her.

Its almost like the fit of shoes, you wouldn't dare buy shoes for her based upon what you like, I'll bet.

As far as the LC9, great gun. So what if she has trouble racking the slide? In it's intended use, that has a very small likely hood of ever occuring.
    If she can shoot it accurately, handle it well and is confident with it, that's really all that matters for a carry gun.

For that matter, it's rare that anyone can take any gun to the range 1 or 2 times and be proficent with it. It's an on going process that takes time. Maybe she needs to try a different technique or maybe she needs to practice dry firing with it say every other day for several weeks to become accustomed to racking the slide. :twocents:

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Hey I just saw on American Guns the other day a couple came in and wanted matching 38's . They did a really nice job on ripping them off. You should give them a call they should be able to hook you up with a nicely customized overpriced gun.:ugh:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Might want to check out the XDm's and M&P's. I do believe from the sound of it that her issue is the grip, both of those have interchangeable backstraps that make them more friendly to those who don't like the way some guns hold. Just a thought.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    She stated with 380 ammo could not be found so I got her a 9mm kel-tec and we both hated it. Then I got her a G26 and it didn't fit her hand "just right" sold that, got her a LC9 she likes that but has a hard time with racking the slide. I picked up a 38spl and she likes it but I hate stocking yet another round in the safe.
    I was thinking about the Charter Arms Pitbull 9mm 5 shot.
    But not being a wheel gun guy, what the recoil going to be like on that vs lets say the Glock 26 or Charter Arms 38spl she has yet to shoot?

Please don't rag on the Charter, it's a fine no frills CCW gun for anyone!

I have (2) Bull dogs and both are .44 special. I gave 1 to my daughter for EDC and she runs it just fine. I use mine for CC on certain occasions that do not lend themselves to a 1911 on my hip. I do not OC.
    My suggestion is to look into a .44 special. Ammo is not the cheapest but I buy mine on line. I am not nor have I ever been a fan of the 9mm. The .44 will knock the crap out of about anything you hit with it. A 9mm will not give you that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hey I just saw on American Guns the other day a couple came in and wanted matching 38's . They did a really nice job on ripping them off. You should give them a call they should be able to hook you up with a nicely customized overpriced gun.:ugh:

I would not let any of those people even hold one of my guns. Just saying.

crarndtii

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2012
    Jeffersonville, IN
    My wife has a Sig 238 and loves it. I got it used with a laser and night sights. It kicks cans out to about 100 feet. The nice thing with the single action is that she can cycle the silde with no trouble.

STI makes a 9mm for about $650 in the 1911 platform if that helps. The same gun without the STI inner parts is available from Rock Island Arms for $450ish.

My wife did well with a Glock 19. It was 9mm, not too hard to cycle, and is as accurate as anything you could want to shoot in it's price range.

Hope that helps!

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    You could let her try a Walther PPS. My brother has one that I've shot a lot and it's not to hard to rack. It basically feels like a single stack glock 26.

If you wanted a 9mm revolver the only one that I can think of that is still in production is the Taurus 905. The S&W and Ruger revolvers chambered in 9mm are sadly no longer produced, and I don't think charter arms has ever released their 9mm revolvers.

Here is the link to the Taurus:Taurus 5 Round 9MM w/2" Barrel/Fixed Sights/Matte Stainless $383.00 SHIPS FREE

DestructionDan

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    IN KY
    The Charter has been released Centerfire Systems has it!
    Who said anything about me picking her guns?
    I said we both hated that POS keltec P11 so read twice before you "think" you what i'm talking about. We look she plays, I buy.
    She has very little hand strength. The G26 had double springs as does the LC9
    She likes the LC9 but worries about the strong springs. Hints why we picked out a wheel gun. I'm no fan of them by any means.
    With the racking of a slide out of the way, it's on to recoil. 38spl and 9mm in the same frame and weight gun. 9mm should be lighter, I would think. And I already have a large stock of 9mm on hand.
    I get my guns from my guy, who most likely would not even want his picture in the paper let alone on some stupid "i can screw it up" tv show. And I know for a fact he knows more about guns than them fools ever will.
    And my guy beats EVERYONE even the so called best priced buds, and I enjoy talking to my guy!
    I can't see spending a lot of money on a gun that's going to get who knows what knocked around on it in that scary bag she carries around AKA The Purse

Guess I should have played stupid and asked what's the felt recoil like with the same frame and weight gun 38 special vs 9mm

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    My wife has small hands and i was going though pistols left and right to find one thatg would work. Just for grins..i tried a Zastava M88. it fit perfectly and its all steel so it sucks up the 9mm recoil. Slide is easy to rack and is a nice piece to top it off. Easy to maintain and was cheap. i paid 320 out the door. Has been a very nice pistol for the 2 of us. i carry her pistol from time to time as my 45 gets cumbersome.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    I've owned several Charter Arms revolvers throughout the years and they have always worked well for me. They're not as smooth as a Smith and Wesson, but they're not the price either. The new "Pitbull" revolver that I pawed at the last gun show appeared to be one of the best Charter Arms revolvers I've handled in recent years. In regards to perceived recoil in an alloy framed revolver; I can't really tell the difference between the standard .38 and 9mm. If the gun will be carried in that "luggage" women call a purse, the extra weight of a steel frame will never be noticed, and may defray some of the recoil.
    I do know that womens heads work alittle differently then mens. Not better or worse, just different. It has been my experience that she will be more enthusiastic about the choice of a gun if she's the one that makes the choice. This is advise given by my better half, who's staring at this screen even as I type. Good Luck
    :twocents:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My wife has small hands and i was going though pistols left and right to find one thatg would work. Just for grins..i tried a Zastava M88. it fit perfectly and its all steel so it sucks up the 9mm recoil. Slide is easy to rack and is a nice piece to top it off. Easy to maintain and was cheap. i paid 320 out the door. Has been a very nice pistol for the 2 of us. i carry her pistol from time to time as my 45 gets cumbersome.

Where did you find the Zastava M88? My son is interested in those.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Some women just don't like autos. I've had 2 charter arms and loved both . I was
    compelled to sell one years ago and always regretted it. Both were .38s but I'd like to
    get more critiques on the 9mm before buying a revolver in a rimless cartridge.
    If recoil is a worry look at the taurus 85 . My wife's is 3"stainless and heavier than the charter...I believe they make that 5 or 6 shot, if you don't mind 38sp. The full wad
    cutter shouldn't kick worse than a 9mm.

Top Bottom