• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should students who have met the requirements from the state be able to carry?

• Total voters

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I agree. I am the President at Indiana State University for Students for Concealed Carry. I feel it's my duty to let you guys know!

I'm also a survivor of violent crime and I can tell you my gun saved my life. It happened on a campus too! (Not IN, my previous city I lived in, Memphis TN.)

Memphis is a rough town. My daughter considered going to Rhodes....but i wasn't comfortable with her being down there. Just as well, she got a better education at Purdue for her chosen vocation.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Here's something to consider. According to my research, (IANAL) I am not a student, I CAN carry on IUPUI campus. My kids, who are students, CANNOT carry on IUPUI campus. It's not a state law that prevents carry, it's the student conduct policy.

Isn't that crazy!?
    Paying customers (students) - no carry
    General public with LTCH - carry
    Felons and rapists - do whatever they want anyway

The law we are discussing will make it illegal for any state university to set rules in place prohibiting the possession of firearms. Both students and the general public are legally allowed to carry on university property. The consequences are higher for students seeing as they can be disciplined by the institution.

Last edited:

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    It's important to note that the Campus Police argued that mixing drugs and guns on campus was bad when it came to addressing parties. These parties already occur off campus where the policy doesn't apply and Campus Police has no jurisdiction. That being said I know for a fact that many house parties with vast amounts of alcohol have been had in homes that have a plethora of guns in them, and yet we have seen no shootings or violence, student to student, or student to police at all as a result.

so the campus police said "mixing guns with the drugs at campus parties" was a bad idea.....guns are legal DRUGS ARE NOT! tell the campus "security" to do something about the drugs and the problem is solved

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    SB097 is now in the hands of the Senate Rules and Legislative Committee.
    Committee members are listed as:
    Chair: Senator Long
    Vice Chair:
    Members: Wyss R.M., Charbonneau, Eckerty, Hershman, Kruse, Merritt, Steele, Lanane R.M.M., Arnold, Breaux, Hume

Here is the link:
    Indiana General Assembly

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Off topic, but am I correct in reading that SB130 would allow the manufacture of fully automatic weapons as long as all criteria are met?

IRISH1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    South Bend
    making places off limits for CC just makes them vulnerable targets for law abiding citizens and great targets for unlawful and opportunistic predators. Where's the best place to target a dangerous animal?....in a cage......take away the ability to carry and you make people who are fully capable of defending themselves into defenseless targets.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    Just learned that Sen. David Long just assigned this bill to the rules committee. This us generally where they get bottled up and never get to the floor for a vote. The other bill was the firearm and ammunition bill. We may need to put a fire under someone to mice these bills along.

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    Excellent points.

I agree, all very good points. The issue is a very polarized one. Today I found out someone apparently was "worried" about my current conduct on Facebook because of things I had posted and re-posted.

As a result I got a visit by two FBI agents and an ATF agent wanting to speak with me about what I have been saying on facebook, and to ask questions about photos taken at the 2011 Hush Indiana Suppressor Shoot by Gemtech that I attended (I'm sure a number of you guys were there as well). Apparently the complaint also included me owning an illegal suppressor. As such I had to explain where I got it. Thank God I had videos up on youtube of me shooting it with "Hush Indiana Suppressor Shoot 2011" on it. People are definitely getting paranoid about gun owners. I'm pretty sure I know who it was, but of course they couldn't and wouldn't release that information to me. That person is now blocked from my profile. Nobody said you had to like what I had to say. :patriot::twocents:

I of course told the agents what I was all about, safety, education, correcting misconceptions about gun owners, and my fervent desire to be and remain law abiding. It was still a bit nuts though.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I agree, all very good points. The issue is a very polarized one. Today I found out someone apparently was "worried" about my current conduct on Facebook because of things I had posted and re-posted.

As a result I got a visit by two FBI agents and an ATF agent wanting to speak with me about what I have been saying on facebook, and to ask questions about photos taken at the 2011 Hush Indiana Suppressor Shoot by Gemtech that I attended (I'm sure a number of you guys were there as well). Apparently the complaint also included me owning an illegal suppressor. As such I had to explain where I got it. Thank God I had videos up on youtube of me shooting it with "Hush Indiana Suppressor Shoot 2011" on it. People are definitely getting paranoid about gun owners. I'm pretty sure I know who it was, but of course they couldn't and wouldn't release that information to me. That person is now blocked from my profile. Nobody said you had to like what I had to say. :patriot::twocents:

I of course told the agents what I was all about, safety, education, correcting misconceptions about gun owners, and my fervent desire to be and remain law abiding. It was still a bit nuts though.

You were probably more polite than some on here would be. Coming to see you because of facebook? :rolleyes:

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    so the campus police said "mixing guns with the drugs at campus parties" was a bad idea.....guns are legal DRUGS ARE NOT! tell the campus "security" to do something about the drugs and the problem is solved

Those were my thought's as well. Of course they can't really do anything at these parties though because they are out of their jurisdiction. To be honest though I can't remember hearing reports of any parties getting busted that had drugs that involved students. The biggest issue is underage drinking, which has nothing to do with carrying on campus.

The other issue brought up to me by the chief when I had a meeting with him today was the threat of guns on campus during domestic disputes. I believe that was an issue brought up when handgun carry was brought to be in Indiana and we haven't seen any of that because those who go through the hoops to get a license don't want to loose it. It all seems a little nonsensical. I pride myself on avoiding conflict especially when carrying.

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    You were probably more polite than some on here would be. Coming to see you because of facebook? :rolleyes:

The last thing I wanted to do with federal agents at my home was give them any reason to not believe I wasn't a completely upstanding citizen which is more of an asset to society than a liability. Especially with the Patriot Act and NDAA. :n00b:

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    DIGEST OF INTRODUCED BILL

Possession of firearms on state property. Prohibits a state agency, including a state supported college or university, from regulating the possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories: (1) on land that is; or (2) in buildings and other structures that are; owned or leased by the state. Provides for certain exceptions. Voids, as of July 1, 2013, any rules or policies enacted or undertaken by a state agency before, on, or after June 30, 2013, concerning possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories on land or in structures owned or leased by the state. Allows a person to bring an action against a state agency if the person is adversely affected by a rule, a measure, an enactment, or a policy of the state agency that violates this law.

Here is Senator Long's contact information which is publicly available.

President Pro Tempore David Long
    Indiana State House
    200 W. Washington St.,
    Indianapolis, IN 46204

Statehouse Phone: 800-382-9467 or 317-232-9400
    Email: Senator.Long@iga.in.gov

Someone may want to link the thread in an email to him. Let him see the poll and read the comments!

Last edited:

danmrt868

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    ft. wayne
    My wife carried her 357 or her 380 everytime she went to school(ivytech and trine). She had a class for ivytech that was held next to mental hospital so i was happy she could defend herself.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Those were my thought's as well. Of course they can't really do anything at these parties though because they are out of their jurisdiction. To be honest though I can't remember hearing reports of any parties getting busted that had drugs that involved students. The biggest issue is underage drinking, which has nothing to do with carrying on campus.

The other issue brought up to me by the chief when I had a meeting with him today was the threat of guns on campus during domestic disputes. I believe that was an issue brought up when handgun carry was brought to be in Indiana and we haven't seen any of that because those who go through the hoops to get a license don't want to loose it. It all seems a little nonsensical. I pride myself on avoiding conflict especially when carrying.

We go to plenty of parties that fall within our enforcement jurisdiction. Just a note, your campus police officers most likely have police powers across the state. Even if it is far off campus, if city police call them for assistance, those campus officers can still arrest and enforce those rules off campus with the exception of items prohibited only on campus such as firearms and legally owned alcohol. My dept. has done it before.

I can't speak to yay or nay for the bill due to my employment, I would like to stay silent on the subject, but I had some thoughts.

Firearms should still be safely stored in a campus environment. As an agreement to housing on campus, you should have to provide a safe method of storing the firearm if it's not being carried. It's their housing and as long as they are allowing you to live there, it should be a requirement. I don't how many times we've done reports on room burglaries due to the owner not shutting/locking their door. That's only if you are not in the room. How many times have you left your room to go to someone else's not locking your door in a dorm? I did thousands of times. That's usually when the thefts occur.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Firearms should still be safely stored in a campus environment. As an agreement to housing on campus, you should have to provide a safe method of storing the firearm if it's not being carried. It's their housing and as long as they are allowing you to live there, it should be a requirement. I don't how many times we've done reports on room burglaries due to the owner not shutting/locking their door. That's only if you are not in the room. How many times have you left your room to go to someone else's not locking your door in a dorm? I did thousands of times. That's usually when the thefts occur.

This comes with being a responsible gun owner, but the bill will prevent any such rule from being enforceable and if a college or university puts it in their regulations they will be open to lawsuit.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    This poll is funny. Do you know who you are asking here? :):

I voted yes. As far as carrying while in class, you should absolutely be able to protect yourself, but as already touched on, there would have to be some provisions for on-campus living. Having a gun in a frat house full of young, immature drunks could be a nightmare and it would only take ONE act of negligence for the gun grabbers to say "I told you so." There could be 100 instances where an armed student saves many lives from a sociopath, but as soon as an idiot shoots himself or someone else at a party, all of those saved lives would mean nothing.

Top Bottom