• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    I just got an AR from another member. I am just starting to get into them. I got one off another member a few months ago for my brother, but this one is for me. So what do I need to add?

What optics do you recommend??

It is a Double Star lower, with a Magpul CRT stock and MOE handle, a Tapco front grip, a Pmag mag, M1 flip up front and rear site, a Vulcan arms gas block, and a YHM flash suppressor

100_3587.jpg
    100_3588.jpg

100_3590.jpg

100_3591.jpg

100_3592.jpg

PS I am on a budget so keep that in mind....Thanks

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    If you are new to the AR game then get a decent sling - I have a VTAC - and a case load of ammo.

I bought some .223 from AIM Surplus and was not disappointed. I had a few cartridges that had to be discarded due to malfunctions (maybe 3 or 4 out of 500), but it's decent ammo for the price.

AIM US Mfr. .223 55grn FMJ US Mfr. .223 55grn FMJ

A couple extra magazines will make practicing easier and your fingers will thank you in the long run.

Practice Practice Practice - maybe even sign up for a carbine class somewhere.

Once you are comfortable using the iron sights, look into purchases an optic for it (EoTech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, etc - depending on your budget there are other decent options).

There are a lot of people on this forum that are much much much more knowledgeable on the subject then I am so hopefully you can get some good ideas.

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    case of pmc cost in vicinity of $400...bushnell t dot cost about $140..eotech aimpoint trijicon cost more depending on budget all good, looks like decent irons already

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    p-mag :yesway:, sights :yesway:, an aftermarket rear grip that is suitable to you :dunno:. Congratulations on the new baby, now all you have to do is feed it. I recently purchased a bunch (for me anyway) of .223 from cheaper than dirt. Wolf 55 gr. FMG for 4.97 per box o' 20. It was my first order from them and I was quite satisfied. shoot it shoot it shoot it, then clean it, then shoot it some more :)

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    All I have on mine is a KAC rail unit (nothing installed, just rail covers), a good VTAC 2 point sling, and lots of mags and ammo. Don't get fancy. Learn how to zero and shoot iron sights and go from there.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    is that a waffle iron on the rt side? I love me some waffles. Goes good with the Kool-aid. ahhhhhhhh. From now on every AR should be equipped with a waffle iron. with syrup in the rear handy and some bacon in the stock. mmmmm Bacon.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    That rifle needs nothing except to be fed. Save you money on bling for it and buy ammo and attend training. Once you feel comfortable with the rifle, decide on your final, I know it's never final, purpose for having it. If it's just going to be something to plink with at the range.....it's GTG as it is now (although I agree with others, I would get a good sling). Optics are cool but you need to be good with the irons because no matter how much money you spend on optics......they will fail.

If it's going to be used for home defense the only things I would add would be a light, sling, and CQB type site of YOUR choice, not anyone elses. You are the one that will have to use it under pressure so YOU need the one you like.

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    Visit the Indy 1500 gun show Oct 23-25. You are sure to find some good deals on ammo and accessories there. Might I gently suggest that you visit my company, Acme Ammunition before deciding where to purchase your ammo. I have it on good authority we'll have excellent prices on quality .223 just for the show......

Top Bottom