• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Since the standard center fire rifle is a battle to use in Indiana, I wonder how the new Air Bow will fly with DNR. Cross Bows are already legal, so I guess the Air Bow should not be a problem. Cool toy, errr, I mean deer hunting bow. Actually, it shows it is already approved in Indiana for predators on the bottom of the page, I can't see it being much different than a crossbow for bow season. Single shot with an arrow, a crossbow is about the same thing. Then again IN has been fighting center fire rifle guns for a long time, and yet you can hunt with the same caliber pistol or a 458 socom.

https://www.crosman.com/airbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usC-ab85jZs

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There are no bow reqs for varmints here.
    Deer there are.
    My guess is that a bow will be defined (if it has not yet been) as device that launches an arrow by tensioned string..........and the Airbow then a no-go.

Tension used in definition to not just allow a stringed nock device for an airbow.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    DNR already defines what is legal equipment : Legal equipment includes long bows, compound bows or recurve bows and arrows.

This airbow does not fit into any of the descriptions.

If this things gains popularity, it will create another debate/argument about whether it should be allowed or not much like when crossbows were being discussed and now centerfire rifles.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    It is not archery equipment and therefore should not be allowed in archery season.

An arrow pushed by a fast forward moving string powered by a set of bent limbs... No gun powder or air allowed....

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    DNR already defines what is legal equipment : Legal equipment includes long bows, compound bows or recurve bows and arrows.

This airbow does not fit into any of the descriptions.

If this things gains popularity, it will create another debate/argument about whether it should be allowed or not much like when crossbows were being discussed and now centerfire rifles.

To be fair, your statement doesn't mention anything about crossbows.

I don't have a dog in the fight so it doesn't matter to me but if this is truly what the DNR considered legal means to harvest a deer, it needs amended to include crossbows.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    It's too scary looking. Put a wood stock on it and no picatinny rail and you might get it passed.

In other words....I want one.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sorry, I forgot this part of the reg

Crossbows are legal hunting equipment during the archery deer season and in Deer Reduction Zones.
    A crossbow means a device for propelling an arrow by means of limbs mounted on a stock and a string and having a working safety that may be drawn, held, and released by a mechanical device. It has to have a mechanical safety and a pull of at least 125 pounds.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Talked to a couple guys were at ATA and in the booth next to this. I guess the thing is about as loud as a 20 gauge...

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Sorry, I forgot this part of the reg

Crossbows are legal hunting equipment during the archery deer season and in Deer Reduction Zones.
    A crossbow means a device for propelling an arrow by means of limbs mounted on a stock and a string and having a working safety that may be drawn, held, and released by a mechanical device. It has to have a mechanical safety and a pull of at least 125 pounds.

I figured it was in there somewhere. I love shooting bows and bow hunting but I haven't been in years. As such, I don't really keep up on all the regulations. I'd love to get back into it but it just doesn't top my list of priorities.

Top Bottom