• ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    ---Mods please move to Handguns section - my bad!---

Hello INGO,

Your knowledge is needed. I have decided to look for my first handgun -9mm. After shooting a couple, and since I do not have one, it surely means I should get one! Unfortunately, handgun shopping is a new arena for me and I'm getting kind of overwhelmed.

There are four guns on my radar: XDM 9, XD 9, M&P9, and the SR9.

Info, preferences, and parameters:
    - high capacity
    - do not plan to carry this gun, so want to steal clear of sub 4" barrels
    - plinking around/home defense
    - safety is very important to me (first handgun)
    - budget: was thinking $500, but realize I may need to go up to $600 ish

I have handled all except the Ruger.

What are your thoughts in guiding me with these four guns?

Last edited:

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Used Sig 226/228. I mean, I know it's not anything on your list, but for a non-carry 9mm, it's the best option, in my opinion. You can find a used one for between $500 and $600, typically.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Don't have any experience with those guns, but I am a fan of 9 mm. For your price range you can get a nice cz 75 which are great guns that will last you a life time. My personal favorite is my RIA 1911 9mm. Great shooter very reliable. RIA was 400+ tax and the Cz was 539 out the door. A buddy just picked up 75 compact in brushed nickle for 550 out the door. So any of these will leave you money for ammo and a smile on your face.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    All on your list are fine weapons and they all would serve you well. Really can't go wrong with any of them. Just go with what feels best to you.

My choices from that list would go XD9, XDm9, SR9, and M&P 9, but that is just my personal preference.

Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I have owned both the XDm and the M&P in 9mm. Both are great guns. The XDm was also my first handgun and, like you, I chose it for its safety features since I was brand new to guns.

The XDm has several safety features. First, it has the grip safety. It also has a loaded chamber indicator and you can tell if it's cocked by the striker indicator. Even as a noob, you can pick up this gun in the dark and know in a second if it's loaded with one in the chamber and cocked ready to fire. It makes a great first gun.

The M&P is also a great gun and can be ordered with a manual safety (mine does not have one, but it is available in that configuration).

Be warned, there will now be an onslaught of messages about how safety devices fail. I agree and you shouldn't rely on them, but they can give some peace of mind to a new owner.

Good luck,

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    All of them are very solid firearms. The SR9 has a thumb safety and is somewhat cheaper than the others. I strongly recommend that you handle them at a store or gun show to get a feel and see if any of them fit you better. Then if possible, take your finalists and test them out. Any of them would serve you well. Good luck.

Last edited:

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    All good options. For me it came down to the XDM and a Glock 19. I went for the Glock because it felt better in my hands.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    All on your list are fine weapons and they all would serve you well. Really can't go wrong with any of them. Just go with what feels best to you.

My choices from that list would go XD9, XDm9, SR9, and M&P 9, but that is just my personal preference.

Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

OP, just to show you that this is mostly based on opinion, my list would be exactly opposite of the above. Haha. Whichever feels best to you. I've shot or owned all of them and this is my opinion. I think the SR9 is best for it's price as the other 3 normally cost more. Having said that, the M&P is my first choice. I've got an Apex USB and sear in it and the trigger is very good. Had a little grit from the factory. If you can, shoot them all to see which you prefer.

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    I personall love glocks, but of that list i would choose the xdm 9 first (i think they are superior to the regular xd's) then probably the m&p then the ruger. heck i dont know m&p is good too. The thumb safety on the ruger i think is poorly positioned, its to far back. YOu can get a thumb safety on the m&p and it is better located. I would leave out the regular xd's and of the others all are good.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I have owned both the XDm and the M&P in 9mm. Both are great guns. The XDm was also my first handgun and, like you, I chose it for its safety features since I was brand new to guns.

The XDm has several safety features. First, it has the grip safety. It also has a loaded chamber indicator and you can tell if it's cocked by the striker indicator. Even as a noob, you can pick up this gun in the dark and know in a second if it's loaded with one in the chamber and cocked ready to fire. It makes a great first gun.

The M&P is also a great gun and can be ordered with a manual safety (mine does not have one, but it is available in that configuration).

Be warned, there will now be an onslaught of messages about how safety devices fail. I agree and you shouldn't rely on them, but they can give some peace of mind to a new owner.

Good luck,

HD - I completely agree with your comments about the ideas around safeties. The XDM hits this, and the gun feels great. The SR9 also creeps into the picture because of the factory thumb safety and features for the price point.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    All of them are very solid firearms. The SR9 has a thumb safety and is somewhat cheaper than the others. I strongly recommend that you handle them at a store or gun show to get a feel and see if any of them fit you better. Then if possible, take your finalists and test them out. Any of them would serve you well. Good luck.

Phase - yes, the thumb safety and price point of the SR9 for the features (adjustable sights and adjustable backstraps) has me intrigued.

I have handled all of them, except the SR9. I hope to handle one very soon.

From INGO's perspective - what should I expect as a price point on an SR9?

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Phase - yes, the thumb safety and price point of the SR9 for the features (adjustable sights and adjustable backstraps) has me intrigued.

I have handled all of them, except the SR9. I hope to handle one very soon.

From INGO's perspective - what should I expect as a price point on an SR9?

Where do you live? New or used? The gun shop in Plainfield has them for $399 I believe.

PS: If you live near me I have an SR9 you can check out and shoot if you want to meet at a range.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Where do you live? New or used? The gun shop in Plainfield has them for $399 I believe.

PS: If you live near me I have an SR9 you can check out and shoot if you want to meet at a range.

I'm in Fishers - thank you for the heads up! I have not been to PSS for several months. I will most likely be giving them a call next week to check out their stock and price on the SR9.

I appreciate the insight and offer.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    All of them you are looking at are good. Get what YOU like. You are the one shooting it.

If you don't like what you buy out of that group, let me know and I'll buy it from you and you can try something else.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've owned an XDm (it was a .40 Cal) and a ruger sr9c. The ruger was a nice gun at a good price point. I sold both of them and bought Sigs to replace them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    One of the best guns on the market today is a CZ 75B Compact. It's a great gun that is very flexible. It's not a sub compact and handles just as nicely as the full size CZs. Night sights can be added for little money if you decide you want those. You can carry with the short grip 14 round mags or you can go higher cap with 16 round mags. If you use the SP01 mag floor plates, the 16 round Mecgar mags (as cheap as $19 each) feel like a factory option. You can swap the plastic grips out for rubber or wood to make it feel right for you. It's one of the most comfortable guns I've ever held and feels better in my hand than my Hi Power does. Reliability is excellent and I've never heard of one exploding. It can be purchased with either a de-cocker or with a manual safety. It is simply one of the best, most reliable, safest guns on the market today.

Top Bottom