• ...and so much more!
  • DestructionDan

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    IN KY
    It's a SPS Tac 223
    I fixed the scratching of the brass by sanding the lips.
    But when pushing the bolt down it's unreal tight.
    And the extractor puts a bad dent/scratch in the rim.
    This I have no idea how to fix.
    Thanks for any help!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    You might want to talk to Remington about that...the bolt being difficult to close sounds like a headspace issue to me.

Are you using reloads or factory ammo?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'd try different ammo and see how it works.

If the bolt is stiff to close on multiple types of ammo, I'd suspect improper headspace and get it sent back to Remington rather quickly.

DestructionDan

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    IN KY
    I just put a new Win never loaded case in it and it's not as bad. Still a little stiff but it's new. Put a small dent/scratch on the rim, nothing like the loaded round
    So it's headspace than right?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    How hard does it close without a round in the chamber?

The rifle would have been checked at the factory with a go No go gauge. and if you have a tight chamber and good bolt lock up, then be happy.

Also I noticed with my VTR the rough surface due to the finish of the barrel, After 20 or so rounds it cleaned up but still stayed firm

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I don't think you have much to worry about, I've not seen any 700's of mine or at the club ever do anything more than put some extractor marks or ejector scratches

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Mine was sorta like that when it was new. After a couple hundred rounds it works better now. Some ammo works better in it than others do. I traded it off after I got my CZ 527 though so I'm not sure how it works now. ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Check the back of your bolt. The new gun probably has no lube where the angle area goes to the bolt notch. The matte finish may be grabbing. It can get super stiff/lock the gun up if not addressed.

I tore my bolt down and polished the area and then used Shooter's Choice red grease and it stayed smooth ever since (had this issue on a new ADL synth back from Galyans).

The right hand side of the bolt body where you see the threads going in, that angled surface is what I'm talking about.

Remington_700_SPS_Tactical_AAC-SD_086_tn.JPG

SchwartzStock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Have you checked the chamber for any dirt/debris? I have seen several guns tied up by a single strand of thread from a cleaning patch...

SS

skimmer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    You might want to talk to Remington about that...the bolt being difficult to close sounds like a headspace issue to me.

Are you using reloads or factory ammo?

Plus 1 on the headspace issue. This really does sound like a bolt face defect. I'm suprise becuase they test fire them at the factory before they ship...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I think you just need to give it time. My 700 cdl was tight when chambering a round with the bolt untill after a few boxs of ammo. At first it was extremely hard to close the bolt. After 100 rounds or so it is really starting to feel smooth.

Top Bottom