• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rylay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Hey everyone! I just picked up this new SA loaded SS champion 4" 1911 from Plainfield Shooting Supplies for a great price!

http://sgcusa.com/images/large/SA_1911_Loaded_Champion_SS_PX9142LP_A.jpg

I have a question about ammo... A lot of friends are telling me the best self defense 45ACP ammo out there are +P loads. I noticed one of the first things in my manual for the gun is a warning that +P loads are NOT recommended. I have seen around the web though people gloating that this gun handles +P loads with ease.

Is the manual just lawyer talk or the company protecting themselves? Is it dangerous to shoot +P loads in this 1911?

Thanks!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I have the 5" loaded park' one and have shot +P loads out of it. I don't shoot +P a lot out of it only 20 or so rounds. I believe if you want to consistently shoot +P you might want to change the springs but, don't quote me on that. Whether or not +P are better defense loads well to me if it's a .45 it doesn't really matter.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I have personally shot +P out of every Springer I have owned and have never had a problem. I have a shot a box through to make sure there are no hiccups. I haven't shot over a couple of hundred rounds through an specific gun but your mileage may vary.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I generally put 1 mag of 230gr +p JHP(my carry ammo) through my SA TRP every time I go to the range and have never felt the least bit wary about it or had any kind of problem because of it.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Occasionally shooting +p carry loads shouldn't be a problem. A steady diet of them is probably a bad idea; especially without changing spring rates.

cjacobs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Bloomington
    Hey everyone! I just picked up this new SA loaded SS champion 4" 1911 from Plainfield Shooting Supplies for a great price!

Dude,
    We must have crossed paths, just picked up a P220 Carry there today.

Great dealer, I always get treated good by them

Congrats on the springer....................

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    The only 1911 that I wouldn't shoot with +P ammo is one with an aluminum frame. That said, I also don't give any of my handguns a "steady diet" of +P after initial function testing.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    especially without changing spring rates.
    I personally don't think +p ammo will hurt any modern 1911 with factory springs. That said I run an 18# wolff recoil spring and heavier firing pin spring in my(shooter) Rock Island. My 3 Colts are factory and don't get shot that much anymore. why the heavier spring in the Rock Island? I guess for peace of mind?

Here's a good read on the 1911 and springs relating to the OP's question.

1911 Reliability Overview: The Recoil Spring

I take it that a gun should be "tuned" for the ammo you shoot. YMMV

Steve

Top Bottom