• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Have you ever had a negligent dishcarge?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Alright...havent seen a thread like this, but here is your chance to confess your guilt or innocence.

-Yes, It happened to me
    -Nope, never done it
    -I can neither confirm, nor deny

I'll be the first one...had a ND...just did the trigger job on my old hi-power, later that night I was comparing single action trigger pulls between two guns after I had dropped the mag and POW!...ears ringing, two cats shot out from under the bed into the dark, the dog vanished, and I just sat there thinking "did I really just do that?"...got a hole in the ceiling to remind me of my careless ways.

The best way to learn is from someone elses mistakes....we all make mistakes, and hopefully we learn from them.

God bless
    -Shred

On a lighter note...a 9mm JHP will NOT penetrate a combination of knotted pine, OSB sheeting, tar paper, and shingles.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'll go along with the... string of alphanumeric characters guy, but 4 rules plus 1, even if I do, hopefully it won't be a disaster.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Mine was in the Marines at MCT. We were on patrol after an "Ambush" and I wasn't sure if I ever chambered my rifle. Like an idiot I squeezed the trigger to see. Bang! Thank god they were blanks. Needless to say, I got tore a new one had to spend my 96 hour 4th of July liberty manning a phone. However, I was 18 and dumb. Nothing like that since then.

But for the Grace of God go I.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Happy and proud to say that I've never had an occurance. Been around others who have at the time of the "incident," but not had one personally in my 20+ years around firearms.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I haven't personally, but I've been witness (within 3 ft) of one. My cousin and I were shooting 15 or so years ago and he was relatively new to firearms. We had borrowed my dads High Standard .22 with a very light trigger pull (I haven't measured but I would assume around 1.5-2lbs). I loaded the gun for him, showed him how to rack the slide then handed him the gun with the safety on (while explaining that the trigger pull was very light). He took the safety off and began to bring the gun up to a firing position. While he still had the gun pointed down he slipped his finger onto the trigger and apparently put just enough pressure on it to send a round into the ground approx 3 inches from his foot (and only couple of feet away from my own). Needless to say, we again reviewed the safety rules, he cleaned out his pants, and we continued shooting without any major surprizes the rest of the day. It was enough to make me reinforce the safety rules with myself every time I go out. I still think about it every time I shoot.

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    Nope, never had a ND and plan on never having one.

I was in the room when someone else ND'd... was a gun shop that I won't mention, and he still owes me some new underwear.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    You mean the mermaids and unicorns that I post about?

Mermaids and unicorns must live in Alabama because that's where the 870 at Shootrite transpired.

No I mean the mermaids and unicorns that live in the mythical land of accidental discharge. Come on, invite us over and we will water board your booger hook until we get the truth! :):

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Negligent, no. A few hangfires over the years, yes. The first time it didn't quite register with me exactly what had happened, and I started to move the 12 gauge away from my shoulder. And then it fired, bashing the hell out of my bicep.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    All right, I'll share mine...

It was years ago. Just got finished cleaning a revolver, and was still fairly new to firearms in general, and this revolver in particular. I had disassembled the thing as much as I dared, because I'm the type of person who feels the need to take things apart to see exactly how they work.

Put everything back together, double and triple checked to make sure it was unloaded (Even though I'd just put the empty cylinder back on myself). Tested the trigger in double action, then pulled the hammer back to make sure it would lock for single action. Tested the trigger for single action, click.

I loaded the revolver and pulled the hammer back again to lock it in single action. Then I decided I didn't really need the hammer locked back on a double action revolver, so I put my thumb on the hammer and lightly pulled the trigger to slowly let the hammer down with my thumb... which apparently had enough gun lube or sweat on it that the hammer slipped right out from under me. And boom went the 38.

Because I'm an idiot. :facepalm:

No one was injured, and the firearm was pointed in a safe direction, so the bullet didn't make it out of the room I was in. I haven't locked that hammer back while it was loaded since unless I was at a range, with the revolver pointed at a target. It only takes one stupid mistake...

Wipe your hands, people! And don't screw with what doesn't need screwing with!

Last edited:

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    mine happened when i was 9 years old, with my first shot gun. The problem was the trigger pull was so light, that when i pushed it against my shoulder, it went bang. No i didn't have my finger on the trigger, my grandfather loaded a round, cocked the hammer, bumped the stock with his hand, and it went off. Once it was fixed, it was a great gun, but scary until it was fixed.

Top Bottom