• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Was talking to a dealer who was at the last two CIG gun shows that had Negligent Discharges, (ND). First one happened to a dealer who's .22 rifle was checked empty and banded prior to the show. Second one happened to a commercial dealer who had a trigger lock on the handgun prior to, and during the show.

In both cases, the dealers failed to check the chambers of their respective firearms because they "Knew" that they had been checked prior, and were empty. In the first case, a customer picked up the rifle and when he pulled the trigger, the rifle fired. In the second case, the dealer removed the trigger lock, and in the process of showing the pistol to a customer, pulled the trigger and the pistol fired.

The conspiracy theory is that someone is visiting the gun shows and loading single live rounds, when the dealer is not looking. Good way to sabotage a show and drive home the Anti-gun stance that gun shows are dangerous.

For the sake of being responsible gun owners, always follow the safety rules at the gun show;

1. Always point any firearm being handled, in a safe direction.
    2. Keep your finger off the trigger.
    3. Confirm the gun is empty by opening the action and ensuring the chamber is empty/firearm is unloaded.
    4. NEVER Assume a firearm is unloaded.

If you see someone slipping a live round into a firearm, report them to the dealer, police and promoter immediately. Try to remember a good description of the individual or get a picture of them with your cell phone.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    ..... and of all the knob vendors at shows, its more likely its a conspiracy, rather than some tool not bothering to check their guns.

I used to think the same thing, but the one professional dealer it happened to has a good rep. I know it can happen to anyone, but to have it happen at two shows in a row is either highly suspicious or grounds for hourly safety checks.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    I would never think to even put my finger on a trigger at any gun show, gun store, dealer, etc. If everyone knew better there wouldn't be anything to sabotage. "Let's pull the trigger and see what happens!" :(

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't know what is wrong with some people. A popular and reputable dealer had shared with me once that there have been plenty of times in his shop, especially when busy and not conducive to watching everyone like a hawk that guns would come up with a round in the chamber.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    While I don't think there is a conspiracy, I DO believe that any reason you wish to justify proper gun handling is a good one.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If someone works a loaded bolt action, for example, but does not close the bolt fully, then the person who checks the weapon could pull the bolt back, and not eject the loaded round sitting flush in the chamber.

It would make more sense, sabotage or not, that every chamber be visually inspected whenever a firearm is handled.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    As instructed in the Navy:

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
    Never point a weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot
    Keep finger off the trigger until ready to fire
    keep safety on until ready to fire

and yet it amazes me of the ND stories I hear. The best ones come from the military, most recently the most popular ND's are coming from the M240 because people dont understand the firing from open bolt concept.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Never hand someone a firearm without a chamber/mag check.
    When receiving a firearm always check the chamber/mag.
    Pretty simple SOP.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If someone works a loaded bolt action, for example, but does not close the bolt fully, then the person who checks the weapon could pull the bolt back, and not eject the loaded round sitting flush in the chamber.

It would make more sense, sabotage or not, that every chamber be visually inspected whenever a firearm is handled.

Also go with the finger test! Try the pinky first and work your way up. ;)

Actually, this conspiracy theory makes a lot more sense that all the other ones around here. If you're out to damage the image of firearms and firearm owners then wouldn't you want to hurt or kill firearm owners rather than kids?

All patrons should be on the look out for people that stand out (read: don't smell or are not wearing velcro shoes) and appear to have sleight-of-hand skills. In other words, this guy:
    images

Not tricks, Michael, illusions! He may also have an accomplice:
    images

Thumper1000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Any firearm I am around I check the chamber first thing and teach all shooting friends to do the same. Yes I know at a show I can't check every gun around me but I do look to see what is going on around me as best as possible. I don't trust anyone other than myself with a gun to make sure of safety.

Top Bottom