• Status
    Not open for further replies.

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    I wasn't there, of course, and no one but the OP knows the tone of what he heard, but we've seen know-it-alls call the clerk various unsavory names. How classy! I'll suggest what the guy said wasn't as important as what his next statement would have been. Unfortunately we'll never know, but Archbishop probably is closest to being correct. The perceived insult was probably unintentional -- yes, yes, he's in contact with the public, blah, blah -- but if the OP hadn't gone off about a straw purchase, maybe, just maybe the OP would have realized with the clerk's second comment that the initial comment was poorly delived or plain ignorant and not an accusation.

Here's a standard disclaimer: No I don't know the clerk or anyone else that works there.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention the first time I read the OP, but realizing now that it wasn't the clerk who started the talk of straw buying reminds me that that Cabela's has a pink laminated stock 10/22 they've been trying to unload on my wife for a few months now. It had been relegated to the used/clearance rack the last time I was in. They've also tried to suggest looking at a Marlin. Perhaps I spoke too harshly and Suspenders was just trying a "turnover" to make the sale.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    All you had to do was tell the guy that you were buying it for her as a gift. That's 100% legal and he can't do or say squat about it. And, if you were truly offended you should have asked to talk to the manager and let him know you had an issue.

I agree and you can buy them both and let her use it any time she wants. I would have fired him up and also asked for the manager and let him have it for hiring a nitwit, addled-brain employee. :rockwoot:

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I'm open to the possibility that I was wrong, but my wife was also unnerved by what transpired, and she didn't even understand what was going on, only that the two clerks stood by and one was disrespectful when he addressed us. She thought we had done something wrong at first.

As I said, maybe I over-reacted, but anyone who frequents that store knows how tight they are when dealing with the possibility that (shutter to think!) there might be people from Illinois who have made it across the border and might want to look at a firearm without a FOID card tattooed across their forehead.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    .... anyone who frequents that store knows how tight they are when dealing with the possibility that (shutter to think!) there might be people from Illinois who have made it across the border and might want to look at a firearm without a FOID card tattooed across their forehead.

I don't know that at all and I'm in there at least twice a month.

I've never been asked where I live, or for any sort of ID - or anything else for that matter.

While I'm rarely at the counter, more frequently in the Gun Library - usually browsing through the cabinets if something interests me, nary a word has ever been said to me (although I've seen them jump on other folks about getting into them).

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I'm sorry you had this experience, but had you come to my shop I may have asked the same question. We are required to perform due diligence. While his ‘tact’ was not great, as a couple you exhibited a common tactic among straw purchasers that we are trained to look for. ATF along with the National Shooting Sports Foundation put forth materials under the “Don’t Lie for the Other Guy” program.

Originally Posted by mrjarrell
    All you had to do was tell the guy that you were buying it for her as a gift. That's 100% legal and he can't do or say squat about it. And, if you were truly offended you should have asked to talk to the manager and let him know you had an issue.

The above is not true. Dealers are not obligated to sell guns to ANYONE and may refuse any purchase... and you can't do squat about it.

Unfortunately we never know when we are being tested, when it’s a straw purchase, or when it’s a law abiding citizen making the purchase as in your case. A little tact here goes a long way on the part of shop employees. Maybe he was busy and could not engage in a tactful conversation. If I suspect funny business is afoot I ask some simple questions that may tell me what I need to know before I ask “ARE YOU BUYING THIS FOR HER?!”

Maybe give them another chance? This is part of a gun dealer’s reality now.

If you live near Indy (Fishers) I’ll sell you 2 10-22’s with hardwood stocks for $420 + tax. That’s $19 cheaper PER GUN than Cabela’s.

When you buy from us it’s by appointment only. You are the only customers in my shop, and I have nothing better to do than take care of YOU. We have a little different philosophy here. We could sell WAY more guns if we just opened the doors and let anyone come in. We think buying a gun is a very personal experience ESPECIALLY for those looking to get into something new like you and your wife. Good luck, and let me know if I can help.

Waynetucky10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    the smaller places are dependant upon satisfaction and making customers for life to survive. Usually you get a lot more respect because their jobs are on the line if you're not satisfied. The employees in the big places are going to get paid no matter what.Being a small business owner myself I will shell out a couple extra bucks to support them and be treated with respect.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I'm sorry you had this experience, but had you come to my shop I may have asked the same question. We are required to perform due diligence. While his ‘tact’ was not great, as a couple you exhibited a common tactic among straw purchasers that we are trained to look for. ATF along with the National Shooting Sports Foundation put forth materials under the “Don’t Lie for the Other Guy” program.

If I suspect funny business is afoot I ask some simple questions that may tell me what I need to know before I ask “ARE YOU BUYING THIS FOR HER?!”

Maybe give them another chance? This is part of a gun dealer’s reality now.

I know the reality--we're originally from Virginia and the state was targeted heavily by Bloomberg's hit squad. We entered the store as a couple, with our IDs on us. I didn't ask to buy the gun at all--believe it or not, I make all of my gun purchases from mom and pops', what I didn't like is the implication that came from handing the rifle to my wife. I'll go back in there because another individual's ignorance isn't grounds for me to ruin any future enjoyment I might get from walking around Cabela's. Straw-buying was such a big deal back home because of Bloomberg that I think it has caused me to be over-sensitive to the implication. We were all very careful in Virginia to make our intentions clear to gun stores after the terrorism (yeah, I said it) inflicted by Bloomberg. It is a hot button issue among the gun crowd back home, and therefore quite an insult. I know that is personalizing a company procedure, but as you correctly said, there was no tact. We weren't whispering or shifty--she even tried to ask a question about the rifle and make conversation. In the grand scheme, it isn't a big deal, but after some re-evaluation, I think I AM overly sensitive because of the firestorm around straw-purchasing in Virginia. The Commonwealth's Attorney General tried to press charges against the agents from New York for illegally attempting to buy firearms period. It was all over the news and in the gun shops for a long time, lots of guys were run out of business simply because they couldn't afford the legal fees. It was bad.

I'm all for people protecting themselves, but a little tact and respect goes a long way.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Had the same experience at Big R when we picked up our LCR. Usually I would have asked for the manager and explain the law to them. Being asked 4 or 5 times "is this gun really for you?" to my wife was getting me quite bothered. Then I had to hand the cash to my wife as they all got bent out of shape when I was getting ready to pay. New it was coming I guess as I just smiled. My wife was quite proud that I didn't try to teach the whole staff straw purchase 101. Think I'll be back the the "gun store" next time, pay a little more and deal with people who sell guns, not guns, fishing, camping, boots, baby food, clothes, and what ever other crap they try and push.

I understand That straw purchase has been blown way out of proportion and they are trying to protect themselves, but staff should know the law and have just a little bit of tact about it if they choose to sell firearms IMO.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom