• Status
    Not open for further replies.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Why do people go to a sporting goods store to buy a gun. Why not go to a good gun store where you will usually get good advice from a professional. You may pay a little more, but you will probably get service commensurate with the extra cost, especially if there is a problem with the item later on.

Going to Cabellas to purchase a firearm, is like going to a discount store to purchase a tuxedo.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Why do people go to a sporting goods store to buy a gun. Why not go to a good gun store where you will usually get good advice from a professional. You may pay a little more, but you will probably get service commensurate with the extra cost, especially if there is a problem with the item later on.

Going to Cabellas to purchase a firearm, is like going to a discount store to purchase a tuxedo.

I agree, unless you're just looking for something that you're already checked your local GS for and they don't have it. I try to support the local shop owners as much as possible on Hard goods, now target ammo is another story.....:DSorry, I'm cheap when it comes to target ammo.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Why do people go to a sporting goods store to buy a gun.

Why not go to a good gun store where you will usually get good advice from a professional.

I don't need advice or service after the sale.

I'd just as soon the folks behind the counter - anywhere - keep their mouth shut. I can get that at Cabela's, unfortunately it is a "no charge service that you're going to receive" at other local gun stores that still remain.

Two of my favorite Hammond Cabela's stories:

The chances of me finding an 71 Winchester or Browning in 348 Winchester at any of the REMAINING gun shops in the three county region are slim to none, except at Cabela's - where they have three in stock at reasonable prices.

After inspecting all three, the sales person in the Gun Library walked up with a list of every 71 in inventory in the USA and offered to get any of them shipped to Hammond for a nominal fee for inspection, with no obligation to buy, without any input from me.

Two years ago, I ordered some Lapua 6.5-284 brass - had it shipped to the Hammond store for pickup. Something happened at their packaging facility, the brass wasn't properly secured in the box and were beat up something fierce.

I opened the box while standing at the counter, as I heard them rattling around. The manager on duty walked up, asked if everything was ok(I hadn't said a word at this point other than asking to borrow a pair of scissors to open the box up to check). They looked in the box, apologized, and overnighted the brass I ordered AND ANOTHER BOX FOR MY HASSLE to the house the next day.

By my math, that was $100 in extra product(which was like finding a hen's tooth anywhere else in the country) with shipping expense, all without asking for anything - for that matter without saying anything at all.

I'm all for supporting the other small businesses in my community - but there is something to be said for offering "Customer Service" - and I get that at Cabela's.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'm all for supporting the other small businesses in my community - but there is something to be said for offering "Customer Service" - and I get that at Cabela's.

Some good points made here. I think for some people, it's simply comfort level. If you're an introvert, places like Cabelas can be a godsend after a full day at work spent making conversation with strangers all day long. Yes, I also would like to support my local gun shops, too, but at the end of a 50-60 hour work week, when the local shop closed three hours ago, I can go to Cabelas, not get hassled (unlike Woodrow and others here, apparently), and leave with what I went for at a pretty good price.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I've never been a fan of the big box stores. Much rather work with a local dealer.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    the only reason i go to cabelas is to handle guns that i am thinking about buying, then i get them off the web for about $100 less, transfer to an ffl and its a happy day. seriously though cabelas guns are very expensive. ive seen used glocks there that cost more than the brand new ones.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Yes, if given my druthers, I go to the local gun store, but as Auntie said, Cabela's was still open after a long day of running around. Also, I wasn't really thinking of buying that night, we just wanted to test drive a few rifles. In truth though, I'll buy my guns where I please. We've all had bad experiences with smaller gun shops too.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Maybe I don't understand what happened fully...
    If all he said was "excuse me sir, are you planning on trying to buy that for her?" How do you know he was implying a straw purchase? Did he say straw or did you say straw?

The next words that could have came from his mouth was "I have a pink/purple/clear one in the back". I don't even see how his tone could have construed a straw purchase. But then again I wasn't there....

Usually when someone tries to put the heat on me by asking a trap question, I answer that question with a question. It allows you to see where they stand.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Maybe I don't understand what happened fully...
    If all he said was "excuse me sir, are you planning on trying to buy that for her?" How do you know he was implying a straw purchase? Did he say straw or did you say straw?

The next words that could have came from his mouth was "I have a pink/purple/clear one in the back". I don't even see how his tone could have construed a straw purchase. But then again I wasn't there....

I also understand about controlling with questions, but why trying to buy. Either I'd buy it or not unless I was unsure I'd be able to for some reason. Maybe I am over-reacting, but I feel like I know when someone is casting aspersions against me. Also, with the exception of certain aftermarket stocks which Cabela's doesn't carry, the Ruger 10/22 only has a couple of options by way or stock color.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I also understand about controlling with questions, but why trying to buy. Either I'd buy it or not unless I was unsure I'd be able to for some reason. Maybe I am over-reacting, but I feel like I know when someone is casting aspersions against me. Also, with the exception of certain aftermarket stocks which Cabela's doesn't carry, the Ruger 10/22 only has a couple of options by way or stock color.

There are actually a number of distributor exclusives available. We've got a nice looking one with a purple and black laminate stock at the store right not that looks pretty cool.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Cabellas in Hammond has the worst people working the gun counter. Their store is about 3 minutes from my house and I refuse to buy gun there because of their staff.

One time I stopped at the gun counter and asked if they had a g26. The guy says, I don't know, do we?

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Cabellas in Hammond has the worst people working the gun counter. Their store is about 3 minutes from my house and I refuse to buy gun there because of their staff.

One time I stopped at the gun counter and asked if they had a g26. The guy says, I don't know, do we?

We seem to live fairly close to each other. I live in Slacker (Schleicher), it's walking distance to Cabela's. All I've bought from there is some cleaning squares and a few bottles of Break Free.

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    I've never purchased a firearm there, because every time I go it seems it's not the time for a new one, but when I browse, someone will always come up to me, introduce themselves, and tell me if I need anything they will be more than happy to assist.

The guys behind the counters have always let me handle anything I ask for without questioning.

I guess I'll stay away from Suspenders?

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I'm a bit surprised that people have missed another possible explanation. When I read this account my first thought was the person was being sexist by talking you not to you wife. If I read it correctly, she was the one holding the gun when he walked up. Between the two people standing at the counter she could have just as easily been buying as you. This doesn't make it any better, but just an extra thought.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'm a bit surprised that people have missed another possible explanation. When I read this account my first thought was the person was being sexist by talking you not to you wife. If I read it correctly, she was the one holding the gun when he walked up. Between the two people standing at the counter she could have just as easily been buying as you. This doesn't make it any better, but just an extra thought.

That was my first thought, too, actually. BUT I could be a little more sensitive to such things than the guys here. :dunno: Usually if they start with an attitude, they quickly lose it when I start asking serious questions, though. I have snapped at a salesman before when he started to suggest the pink revolvers when I was looking for a carry gun. We had been looking at only semi-autos in 9mm, none of them in pink, so I got pretty annoyed with him. Girls know what they want, don't mess with them when they're shopping. ;)

Nobody but Woodrow and his wife know the tone that was used. We can all sit here and guess. I have also been shopping with my husband when the salesman asked if my husband was planning on buying a gun for me - and meant it as he should buy it for me as a gift.

Now I'm kinda curious, though, and kinda want to go to Cabela's with my husband and seek out Suspenders and see what kind of response we get...:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom