• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    The wife and I have been looking at 10/22s in order to start Appleseed. We have priced several, because when we buy, we're buying two. I asked to see one at Cabela's. The guy handed it to me--he didn't ask to see my ID because it isn't necessary. I checked the chamber, gave it the once over, and handed it to the wife. She said that she liked it as well, and liked the feel. We discussed some modifications. Suddenly, another clerk came over where we were standing. My wife expressed her interest in Appleseed and stated that we would rather buy from Cabela's than Walmart. Just being chatty. The man ignored her, looked at me said, "excuse me sir, are you planning on trying to buy that for her?"
    I responded "I'm not planing on buying it at all now. I don't participate in straw-buying, sir." I handed the rifle back and we walked out of the store. To retell the story, it perhaps doesn't sound like anything, but as we were walking away, my wife asked of what were we being accused. I explained to her and she became about as angry as I was. She understood that the man's tone was accusatory and that I held my temper.
    I understand the law. When Bloomberg pulled his little gun sting, several gun stores back home in Virginia were tagged for straw purchases. All were found not-guilty, but I know the law. Both my wife and I have Indiana residency. I have every right to purchase a firearm for my wife if she is present with her identification. Why did the clerk not think that my wife was purchasing the gun for herself? I didn't involve the management because I really don't think it would make a difference. I expect the opposition not to know, understand, or respect the laws, but not an individual involved in the sale of firearms. I also understand that people make mistakes, but his tone was accusatory, like he had just stopped out nefarious plan. I've seen this old guy working in there since for at least the last few years--not that he should remember me, but that he should know better than to address folks like that. My few paltry dollars won't make a difference to them, but I'll not be shopping there in the future.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    All you had to do was tell the guy that you were buying it for her as a gift. That's 100% legal and he can't do or say squat about it. And, if you were truly offended you should have asked to talk to the manager and let him know you had an issue.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    All you had to do was tell the guy that you were buying it for her as a gift. That's 100% legal and he can't do or say squat about it. And, if you were truly offended you should have asked to talk to the manager and let him know you had an issue.

I don't have to tell the guy anything because neither one of us had initiated the sale or asked to purchase the rifle. I was holding it and dealing with another salesman. Perhaps I am overreacting, but we all know when were being called out.

And as to telling a manager...come on, really? Nothing comes of that.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I get pretty irritated with the staff. They always, without fail, demand to see my ID and act rather rude about it. I understand they are close to the IL border, but I don't appreciate being treated like a criminal everytime I step foot in the store.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I understand the law.

Both my wife and I have Indiana residency. I have every right to purchase a firearm for my wife if she is present with her identification.
    Actually she doesn't have to be there or present any ID.

Straw Purchases are those made by someone who are buying for someone who is not allowed to buy/possess the firearm.

A resident of the State of Indiana can buy a firearm for another resident of the State of Indiana (who is not a prohibited person) while both in the State of Indiana without breaking any laws. Doesn't matter if it is a gift or not, doesn't matter if they are related or not, doesn't matter if they are both present or not.

There are no federal or State prohibitions on it, although store policy may be different. It also doesn't mean that would be legal in another state, like ILL for example.

I expect the opposition not to know, understand, or respect the laws, but not an individual involved in the sale of firearms.

Lol, you'd be surprised. You must have missed a recent thread by a member who got a job behind a gun counter and was similarly confused.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I get pretty irritated with the staff. They always, without fail, demand to see my ID and act rather rude about it. I understand they are close to the IL border, but I don't appreciate being treated like a criminal everytime I step foot in the store.

Every time, you're exactly right.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    It's unfortunate you found a douche behind the counter. I'm equally shocked you found two guys to talk to simultaneously. Every time I'm in there I have to wait to get just one salesman. I've also never been hassled about residency - they usually just pause before handing over the firearm and say "you're an Indiana resident, right?" and then just hand over whatever I'm looking at based on my word.

I don't know what time you were in but when I stop in late in the week in the evenings there's an older, tall fellow who is most helpful, and seems to take a special interest in getting my wife to buy something for herself. I make some sort of purchase from the gun section at Cabela's every few weeks, and I always stop to fondle things I can't afford when I'm in. I think you should reconsider calling the manager, as the behavior of this clown is really not what I've come to expect from the guys at the gun counter.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    It is always frustrating when you have a bad gun counter experience. It certainly doesn't sound characteristic of those guys to be so confrontational about a purchase, even when the gangbangers are hanging around. Now I'm wondering which guy - suspenders? I don't think I've talked to him. Every time they try to get me to buy something, it's all fun and joking, never used car salesman uncomfortable like. I bought my 10/22 there just a couple months ago. :dunno:

technobear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    ugh.. here is what really happened. instead of teaching thier employees the laws and making sure they understand what is going on. they simply instructed thier employees that ANY time one person purchases a firearm its a straw purchase and is thus illegal..

that and my experiences in the fort wayne gander mountain are somewhat similar.. lots of ego and lots of looking down their nose at me.. i wind up making short order of my browsing and scoot..

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Where a person purchases a firearm
    with the intent of making a gift of the
    firearm to another person, the person
    making the purchase is indeed the true
    purchaser. There is no straw purchaser
    in these instances. In the above example,
    if Mr. Jones had bought a firearm
    with his own money to give to Mr. Smith
    as a birthday present, Mr. Jones could
    lawfully have completed Form 4473.
    The use of gift certificates would also
    not fall within the category of straw purchases.
    The person redeeming the gift
    certificate would be the actual purchaser
    of the firearm and would be properly
    reflected as such in the dealer's records.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

chrisheacock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    A gift purchase is a total non-issue, but if you were to buy a weapon knowing you were going to sell it to your wife it would be a straw purchase, regardless of her ability to purchase the firearm.

The real question is why any gun salesperson would immediately accuse a person of a straw purchase! The ATF (who defines and enforces straw purchasing regs) covers that with the question on Form 4473, so why in the world would you open up with a question like that?

They may as well be asking you if you are a felon straight away!

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    . Now I'm wondering which guy - suspenders? I don't think I've talked to him.

It was Suspenders. Perhaps I should talk to the manager. At the time, I was fuming. As a manager, I would want to know if one of my guys were out of line. I have never had such an experience there before. I also don't want some old guy to get in 'trouble' because he didn't know what he was doing.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Where a person purchases a firearm
    with the intent of making a gift of the
    firearm to another person, the person
    making the purchase is indeed the true
    purchaser. There is no straw purchaser
    in these instances. In the above example,
    if Mr. Jones had bought a firearm
    with his own money to give to Mr. Smith
    as a birthday present, Mr. Jones could
    lawfully have completed Form 4473.
    The use of gift certificates would also
    not fall within the category of straw purchases.
    The person redeeming the gift
    certificate would be the actual purchaser
    of the firearm and would be properly
    reflected as such in the dealer's records.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Thanks for the info. That's how I understood the law as well.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    If I were you I'd just head over to Dick's or Bass Pro Shop.

Just to chime in I work at Dick's here in Lafayette. We have some gun sale training, and they don't really go into depth about what is and isn't a straw purchase. They basically keep it simple, and say if someone is checking out a rifle and then gives it to someone else to purchase then its a straw purchase. While I [we] all know this is not true they try to keep it simple to save their own ass. We do a pretty good job talking to each other, and making decisions on if a sale is legal or not, and since I've been there haven't had a problems, but I'm guessing Cablea's training (if any) is similar.

So basically, it was probably a Paul Blart Gun Counter Clerk, that was trying to look intelligent.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    It was Suspenders. Perhaps I should talk to the manager. At the time, I was fuming. As a manager, I would want to know if one of my guys were out of line. I have never had such an experience there before. I also don't want some old guy to get in 'trouble' because he didn't know what he was doing.

I think if he doesn't know what he was doing, then he should get in trouble. Just being the old guy who's worked there for awhile doesn't win you the get-out-of-needing-to-know-anything card.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Years ago I was a customer service guru. You really should talk to the manager about the TRAINING your clerk recieved to let him think that that was an acceptable way to approach a potential customer. The clerk showed poor customer service/people skills. His boss is the one who failed you. I'd keep my tone neutral, and say that I'd planned on buying TWO of the rifles, and, if possible, have the reciept for them from ANOTHER business on hand. Two 10/22s ain't much in the overall budget of the company, but several hundred dollars of lost business is still several hundred dollars, and the last thing your store manager wants his/her boss to hear is the it was lost due to poor customer service training. He or she isn't going to kiss your backside, and I wouldn't expect them to, but a simple apology and promise to do better next time is entirely in order. If it's not recieved, I'd go up the foodchain one step.

JiNx0036

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Michigan City
    I was in there today when I went down to see my siblings and ran into and old friend and while we were browsing the AR section and asked to see a firearm, the woman asked whether or not he was a Illinois or Indiana resident. I thought that was kind of an odd question to ask.

i was asked if I needed any help when I walked up to the counter and an older gentleman let me see some of the .380 pistols I've had questions about and he was pretty nice, I think he had glasses. I wasn't ID'ed which was funny cause when I asked to see I automatically reach for the back pocket but stopped since he didn't seem to want to see it.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I've had some really crappy customer service there but then I've had some really pleasant experiences. One time I had an older man tell me I was a punk after he dropped a shelf of guns onto another shelf. They were used and I told him, "With the damage you just made I'd hope the prices were negotiable". I ended up speaking with a manager and getting a G22 for $400 OTD 3rd gen.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I've had some really crappy customer service there but then I've had some really pleasant experiences. One time I had an older man tell me I was a punk after he dropped a shelf of guns onto another shelf. They were used and I told him, "With the damage you just made I'd hope the prices were negotiable". I ended up speaking with a manager and getting a G22 for $400 OTD 3rd gen.

I'd have prolly called u a punk too if not somethin else for being such a smartass

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom