Needing deep concealment carry gun - Taurus 738 any good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Been pouring over all the reviews I can find yet can't find a definitive answer. Want a small 380 pistol, been looking at the Taurus 738 (on sale at Midwest for only $179!), but my only experiences with Taurus handguns dates back almost 20 years ago. Less than stellar then, are they better now? Anybody with direct 738 experience that can help me decide? Thanks!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    but my only experiences with Taurus handguns dates back almost 20 years ago. Less than stellar then, are they better now?

Yes, they are better. I have no experience with that particular gun, but Taurus makes a good product these days. At their price point, they are tough to argue with.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Like my LCP

Two years ago I looked at all the small .380 pistols. It came down to the LCP and I've been very happy with it. It's been my everyday carry in Mike's pocket holster for the last two years, so comfortable I almost forget it's their. IMO, the small price difference is well worth the Ruger quality. Good luck with your choice but whatever you chose make sure you practice shooting, they take a little getting used to.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    I had a tcp and liked it a lot, but wasn't real comfortable carrying one in the chamber, so I switched to a sig p238. Love it, shoots great, came with a laser, and has a safety that is easy to release, pull back the hammer and ready to shoot as it comes out of my pocket.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Not familiar with that particular model, but my EDC is a Taurus MilPro in .45 and I've been pleased with it. Taurus makes a nice gun these days and I have no qualms recommending them to people. If worst came to worse and you did get a rare lemon, they have a lifetime warranty and Taurus would make it work like it should. The price sounds great, too. I'd have no issues buying it, (other than it being a .380. I like a bit more oomph in mine).

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I have shot 5 of the TCP's and only had any problems with one of them and that was because of some flashing on the plastic magazine follower. I tore down the mag and smoothed it off and it has worked fine since.

I have shot various ammo and the only one I had any trouble with was the Hornady Zombie loads, which would jam up if you tried to eject a live round out of the chamber. This is caused by the soft plastic tip on them.

I carry one of these for my EDC, and so do some of my family at my suggestion.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If that is what you can afford get it. They are nice guns. But check out Kodiak firing range first. They have several pocket guns you can rent and last I knew, they have a few small used pocked guns for sale at a good price.

udchemist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Tcp gets very good reviews on the Taurus fan forums- people seem to like it since its cheaper than the lcp and also automatically locks the slide back on the last shot, unlike the lcp. I tried both of them and didn't like em- I'm looking to try a sig p238 and see if that fits my hand better. I suggest taking a look at it.

udchemist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Tcp gets very good reviews on the Taurus fan forums- people seem to like it since its cheaper than the lcp and also automatically locks the slide back on the last shot, unlike the lcp. I tried both of them and didn't like em- I'm looking to try a sig p238 and see if that fits my hand better. I suggest taking a look at it.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My contribution to the pocket carry logic... I love my Raven Concealment original vanguard. I was just simply never comfortable not having something protecting the trigger, even if it has a long pull/ revolver style action to it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zutyYLQFuQI&feature=vmdshb[/ame]

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I bought my wife a 738 and have put a couple hundred rounds through it including hornady critical defense hollow points and have had absolutely no issues. The trigger is much better than the lcp in my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if you're looking for a nice little pocket gun.

Top Bottom