• ...and so much more!
  • spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Title says it all.

I'm getting into hunting this year, late better than never. My wife wants a shotgun. I can't afford two.

She hates hard recoiling guns since she is new to shooting. My fault because I let her shoot an AR as her first rifle, and failed to monitor the cheek weld and stock placement.

Anyway I've been looking at the Maverick 88, benelli Supernova, savage security model, and 870 express.

Anything I'm missing?

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    look into the CZ 12 gauge #712 ALS

They come in 26" & 28" and have a sliding rear buttstock.

pretty trick and they are semi load not pump.

Benelli is nice stuff too.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If she doesn't like recoil then you might want to go and look at some of the 20 gauge models. I prefer them over 12's, 'cause I don't care for the recoil. A 20 is just about right and will do pretty much all that a 12 will do, including hunting and HD. Just load it up with buck and you're good to go.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Unless you wish to put out the $$$ for a semi-auto loader, a 12 Ga single or pump is going to make your wife feel like she was kicked by a mule.
    What are your hunting goals? I've read of some competent 20 ga deer rounds, especially if you get a field/deer combo with a rifled barrel. My wife's shotgun is a Mossberg 500 20ga with composite furniture and mossy oak camo pattern. Its fairly lightweight and she enjoys shooting it quite a bit. She weighs in at around a buck thirty five and is 5'6".

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I thought about the 20ga, just also wondered how effective it is as a deer hunting round
    Back in my youth, when I hunted with my grandfather, I used a 20 exclusively. A great old LC Smith that I wish I owned today. Load 'em up with buckshot or even slugs and you're good to go. They don't pack quite the wallop that a 12 does, but plenty of deer have been taken with 20's. I currently have a Mossberg that I'm very pleased with and it has interchangeable barrels for shot or slugs. Lots of choices out there in 20.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    before you give up an the ideal of a 12ga, they do make lower recoil loads that are pretty tame. You can work towards heavier loads.
    if you were closer i would let you guys try a few in my shotgun.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    1911ly speaks the truth, with low recoil loads, the 12 is as manageable, if not more so, than the 20 with normal field loads. The only 20 in my safe is my sons Rossi youth combo, and its not something to compare recoil with. even with light target loads its a bit of a bugger to handle. My HD 12 (s) are loaded with low recoil OO Buck from Fiochi, and they kick considerably less than even the light target loads that I use for clay shooting. If that proves to be too much, look into the shorty shells that Aguilla makes. At modest ranges its slug should be more than enough to do its part, with recoil along the lines of a 22, and low report.

The 20 isnt a bad option, but with a little digging, I think you will find that the 12 is a bit more universal in application (bI oth target and shooter). As for the 20 being enough for deer, I can attest that the old Win 3/4 oz slugs will plant deer like last years corn.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You say that SHE wants a shotgun, but she doesn't like shooting a .223 because of recoil. Has she ever shot a shotgun? My guess is that she won't like shooting any shotgun 12 or 20. If she disliked the recoil of the AR she will hate a shotgun.

The second problematic point I see is that a shotgun that fits you most likely won't fit her. An ill-fitting stock with too long a length of pull will only increase her discomfort. If SHE wants a shotgun, then get her a dedicated gun that fits her, but I wouldn't sink hundreds of dollars into a gun until she has had a chance to shoot one for herself.
    I've seen a lot of new shooters ruined from the outset by shotguns. Many times it takes years for them to get rid of their bad habits or their dislike of shooting.

If this is to be a deer gun for her, then I would skip the idea of a shotgun all together and get a .357 or .44 rifle. Significantly less recoil and cheaper ammo.:twocents:

Good luck!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    How can you not afford two single shot shotguns? You can buy 5 singles for the price of some of these suggestions. And they are all good suggestions. Just kind of pricey for someone who is going to go out for the first time. My personal choice is a Kentucky long rifle, but you aren't asking about black powder...

Let me clue you in on something Mr "new to deer hunting", if you miss with the first shot, you ain't getting another one. That deer will be long gone before you can get a second shot off. Repeaters are WAY over rated for deer hunting. Second, IF she gets a shot at a deer, she won't feel any of the recoil. She will have lots of trouble just keeping the front sight anywhere near that critter before the shot. Trust me on this, I know of what I speak. It is called "buck fever". Nothing new there.

Take her to the range, have her shoot some light loads to learn how to operate the single shot. Have her shoot one slug then take her out after Bambi's father. Sit with her, toast some sandwiches over a little fire next to a tree and take in God's wonder.

A 5 shooter won't make it any better.

Uncle Dean is now done advising.

Last edited:

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    She wants to have something in the house.
    She got bent out from the .223 recoil because as I said before I failed to verify her handle of the weapon before pulling the trigger, therefore the stock smashed into the soft area between her armpit and chest.

I won't make a purchase until she has shot a few as I know beginners should not start with shotguns. I was merely looking for advice for after that time.

I will be hunting she will not.

Before anyone says anything about a pistol gripped shotgun, I've handled a few and the recoil is sent almost directly to my wrist, which hers is very weak therefore it would be greatly uncomfortable.

I would prefer she considered a .357 rifle so I could deer hunt with it as well.

And lastly. I may be new to hunting but I am not ignorant sloughfoot. I know one shot makes or breaks. But the comfort of having another round is more purposeful when I have a lady who is beginning to get comfortable with firearms around her and knows she may need to wield one.

Psychology is important here because I am not the one in need of convincing.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    She wants to have something in the house.
    She got bent out from the .223 recoil because as I said before I failed to verify her handle of the weapon before pulling the trigger, therefore the stock smashed into the soft area between her armpit and chest.

I won't make a purchase until she has shot a few as I know beginners should not start with shotguns. I was merely looking for advice for after that time.

I will be hunting she will not.

Before anyone says anything about a pistol gripped shotgun, I've handled a few and the recoil is sent almost directly to my wrist, which hers is very weak therefore it would be greatly uncomfortable.

I would prefer she considered a .357 rifle so I could deer hunt with it as well.

And lastly. I may be new to hunting but I am not ignorant sloughfoot. I know one shot makes or breaks. But the comfort of having another round is more purposeful when I have a lady who is beginning to get comfortable with firearms around her and knows she may need to wield one.

Psychology is important here because I am not the one in need of convincing.

Since you brought up the pistol grip shot gun :-) I bought a Mossberg 500 JIC 12ga pistol grip shot gun. The stock grip was a wrist killer. I replaced it with a Pachmyer recoil absorbing grip. I put a pistol grip style fore grip. What a difference. If you where close you would be welcome to try it. My 12 year old shoots it fine.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I thought both of you were going deer hunting. Sorry.

So you are going to go deer hunting with THE shotgun and leave her alone at home and defenseless?

What is wrong with a single shot 12 gauge for personal defense? Again, I say buy two. One for you and one for her at home.

People think that racking the slide is a deterrence, teach her how to make the sound with her mouth. For personal and home defense, I can't imagine the scenario where more than one round will make a difference. You should never make the shot if you are not sure you won't miss.

If she has to use it for personal/home defense, she won't notice the recoil.

I learned long ago to never try to convince a woman of anything.

Last edited:

triggerhappy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Recoil has to do with three things, #1 weight of payload #2 velocity of payload and #3 weight of gun
    Since most 20ga guns are built lighter than their 12ga counterparts they will actualy recoil harder with the same payload

I vote 12ga semi auto (Benelli my choice) or a good used Browning gold hunter and start with 7/8th oz target loads and work up.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Is there a big difference in reach between the two of you?

Yes unfortunately she has a shorter reach and is not strong enough to shoulder with standing up.

I thought both of you were going deer hunting. Sorry.

So you are going to go deer hunting with THE shotgun and leave her alone at home and defenseless?

What is wrong with a single shot 12 gauge for personal defense? Again, I say buy two. One for you and one for her at home.

People think that racking the slide is a deterrence, teach her how to make the sound with her mouth. For personal and home defense, I can't imagine the scenario where more than one round will make a difference. You should never make the shot if you are not sure you won't miss.

If she has to use it for personal/home defense, she won't notice the recoil.

I learned long ago to never try to convince a woman of anything.

Not trying to convince a woman, hence getting something she is comfortable with. I am simply trying to find something that will serve two purposes in one. Less cash involved. We are not from hollywood, therefore the security of a follow-up shot is always good. Stress induces very strong responses. Few real self defense occasions allow for a single takedown shot under duress. And lastly, I am not leaving her defenseless if she knows she is comfortable handling the firearm.

Recoil has to do with three things, #1 weight of payload #2 velocity of payload and #3 weight of gun
    Since most 20ga guns are built lighter than their 12ga counterparts they will actualy recoil harder with the same payload

I vote 12ga semi auto (Benelli my choice) or a good used Browning gold hunter and start with 7/8th oz target loads and work up.

I agree. basic physics. Wouldn't a good recoil pad make the difference? I wish I had more the $350 to work with, because then a semi-auto would be included in my list :(

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Bought a 870 express youth. Its a 20 gauge with a 18 3/4" barrel and a short stock. . Mossburg makes a similar model. Anyway my wife is only 110LBs and she shoots this gun very well.

Last edited:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I agree with most of the 20 ga comments. Because I believe that I read somewhere that a 20 ga magnum load is very comparable to a standard 12 ga load. So regular 20's for the wifey and 20 ga magnum sluggers when deer hunting. Even a standard 20 ga slug should get the job done. Remember an arrow traveling at just over 300 fps will bring down a whitetail or even a bear. Seen it lots of times on the hunting shows!

Top Bottom