• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Plymouth
    So, I currently carry a Glock 19 and am looking to pick up a Glock 23.

Glock 19 and 23 are exactly the same receiver minus the extractor. Would it be possible to just slap a full G23 slide on top of my G19 frame go without any fatal issues? I would certainly assume so. But figured I'd have it clarified. I've read through forum upon forum upon forum and figured maybe somebody here can give me a solid answer.

Thanks! :ar15:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Quick answer, yes.with possible extraction/ejection issues (which it sounds like ualready know)
    For the price and hassle of switching, it's generally advisable to just buy a second firearm.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    The ejectors I think were different but I don't have the two models to compare so not for sure. Im no expert on glocks or anything for that matter but Id caution against.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Ejectors are different.

However, the 9mm ejector will work just fine on a .40, the .40 ejector "can" be unreliable with 9mm.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yes it is possible. Also g23 slide is heavier. It isn't milled out at the nose on the inside as much as the 19 if I remember right. It's the same way with a 20 and 21.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    NO!!!!
    Go from smaller to bigger, never from bigger to smaller.
    A G23 can fit a G19 slide and function fine, but a G19 frame is not recommended to accompany a g23 slide. It would fit, but its not recommended by very many credible resources, to not do that.

Same goes for G17/22.

Lone wolf makes a barrel conversion kit... just get that instead of paying $350+ for a new slide.

Last edited:

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    A stock .40cal Glock is the most versatile. They make 9mm, and .357 sig lone wolf barrels conversion kits that many people have. Just youtube it.

Please don't go putting a .40 upper on a 9mm lower though.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    SpaldingPM, can you elaborate a bit on the frame difference? I have both a G23 and G19 and aside from the extractor, never noticed a difference. In fact, both even use the same recoil assembly (Gen 3). I was under the impression that the frame moldings were the same between the two, with the slide and ejector differentiating them.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    they both have a different trigger mechanism housing. It's not hard to change out, and I'm pretty sure you can order them for a cheap price from glock, but it is highly recommended that that is changed to do any swaps between the two.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SpaldingPM, can you elaborate a bit on the frame difference? I have both a G23 and G19 and aside from the extractor, never noticed a difference. In fact, both even use the same recoil assembly (Gen 3). I was under the impression that the frame moldings were the same between the two, with the slide and ejector differentiating them.

It Cannnn work, but it is recommended that the ejector is changed in the trigger mechanism housing swap i was talking about. Most people just go throwin this and that together, without doing proper research and what not. I've read a few fears of pretty credible guys stating that they're very afraid that running a g23/22 slide on a g19/17, that the 9mm ejector "could" possibly strike the primer, causing premature fire. I don't know if thats ever happened, but why even risk that?

Just do it the right way, change the necessary stuff to keep it safe, and have fun.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have ran several thousand rounds thru a G34 that had a custom built G24 topend on it, never had an issue with the 9mm ejector.

That said, you can just swap out the ejector without having to change out the entire housing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    while I only have about 50 rounds through it, I can attest that a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel works well with a G23. (when coupled with a G19 mag)

I have not seen any extractor issues personally. While I dont have enough rounds through it to concretely say its reliable enough to EDC, its worked well for me on the range. Ok, so ive only gone once with it.:dunno: Maybe I'll buy 3 or 4 G19 mags and play with it on a IDPA range? hmmmm.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Trigger housings are all the same, the ejector is different for a 9 VS 40. If I were expecting complete reliability I would change ejector, extractor, spring loaded bearing, and of course mags. Those are the things that are different.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Seems like several people are answering without really reading the question....

The OP isn't asking about conversion barrels, or running a G19 barrel in a G23.

He specifically asked about putting the entire slide assembly from a G23 on to his G19 frame. Of course, the G23 slide would have the .40 extractor, so that's a non-issue. The EJECTORS are different between 9/.40, but as Craig said, the 9 ejector works fine for .40.

For a "range" gun, this would likely function fine... possibly flawlessly. Personally, I don't want to rely on a Frankenstein concoction for personal protection.

A used G23 could nearly be had for what it would cost to have a dedicated .40 slide.

Top Bottom