• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJ1962IND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Anderson
    I have been overwhelmed with my research on all the AR MFG’s. Which to buy is the question?
    I waited too long I know, I am in panic mode, as with the rest of the Country!!

I found a straight forward Stag Carbine (unsure of model) at a northern Indiana gun shop on sale.
    It has a removable carry handle, collapsible stock, A-3 hand guards, “F” Stamped Front Sight Base.
    Barrel length is unknown but is stamped 1/9 twist.
    Horizontal sling attachment point near the Front sight base.
    Vertical sling attachment point off the bottom of the stock.

The price is between $1000 & $1200 not including taxes.

It’s about $200 more than I wanted to pay, but am afraid that the GOV is goning do something stupid and I won’t ever be able get one without costing a ton more.

Is a Stag modifiable? Can I later put different hand guards, barrel, and upper parts on it?

I am not sure if I should wait and see if the prices come down or build my own via gun shows that are so packed full of people and not knowing what I am buying.
    I can’t order anything, everyone is out of parts!!

So the above is my delema!!

My next question is the what’s the best AR-15 for the $$

My research has concluded that on a list from 1 to 10 and 1 being the best and most expensive to 10 being the ones to stay away from would look like this:

Colt
    Noveske N4
    Sabre Defence
    CMMG
    S&W
    LMT
    Stag
    Rock River
    Bushmaster
    DPMS
    Olympic
    Please, please correct me if I am wrong or this list is in the wrong order.

I am sure personal preference is a big issue, but I want a good life dependable fighting weapon that won’t crap out on me when it’s needed the most.
    The only experience I have is with the old M-16 A1 model when I was in the service 20 years ago.
    Please all advice and suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks
    jj

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Most brands are very reliable and very good. The list you provide is very subjective and many will argue with your ranking. I'd simply ignore the list completely and figure out what you want in a gun then find what you want. Realize that most of the brands listed don't even make their own parts, they buy them from other companies and simply assemble them with their name engraved on the side.

My observations right now are that AR prices are actually COMING DOWN and you should be able to get what you want at a reasonable price.

As for the question you asked about modifying the Stag. Yes, you can modify it. All brands of AR15s use parts that are basically interchangeable. These things are like LEGOS for adults. Take one apart, swap the parts with another brand, reconfigure it at will. You can change calibers, shapes, sizes and even colors.

One more thing, look at ARs like you look at cars. Some cars are great for off-road use, some for hauling a passel of kids to school, others are fast but won't carry any payload or any kids. AR15s are the same way. You can make a great target rifle, or a combat rifle or a hunting rifle out of an AR. So figure out what you want, then buy or build the gun that you will actually use.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My research has concluded that on a list from 1 to 10 and 1 being the best and most expensive to 10 being the ones to stay away from would look like this:

Colt
    Noveske N4
    Sabre Defence
    CMMG
    S&W
    LMT
    Stag
    Rock River
    Bushmaster
    DPMS
    Olympic
    Please, please correct me if I am wrong or this list is in the wrong order.

Without invoking "The Chart" and starting another one of those arguments, let me just say that:

1) while there is an element of "you get what you pay for" at work here, "most expensive" does not necessarily equate to "better".

2) Most recreational AR owners/shooters won't be able to tell any functional difference between many of the brands listed above, simply because they don't shoot their guns a whole lot, or push them very hard.

3) There are a LOT of Smiths, Stags, RRAs, Bushies and yes, even DPMS and Olys, out there giving yeoman service. The same folks also put out some smoking pieces of sh*t. The only real difference is that the higher tier manufacturers tend to put the latter out far less frequently.

4) You should probably throw Daniel Defense, Charles Daly Defense and Defensive Edge/SLR15 in there as high-quality options, as well.

Bottom line? Buy the best quality you can afford, let the mission drive the gear train when it comes to options and accessories, and rock on.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    He wants to know if THIS rifle is a decent rifle at a decent enough price to trade a little expense for the reassurance that he gets what he wants now before it's too late.

Yes the stag is fine. It's very expensive if new and way too expensive if used.

It's completely upgradeable and there's nothing wrong with it. It's one of the better rifles listed below the very expensive ones.

Go for it if you have the money and you want it. I woudln't expect to get your money out of it if you try to sell it any time soon.

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Story (Brown Co)
    I think the STAG is fine, a bit pricey but they are all like that now, It's an AR....
    As stated in previous posts...not many push them very hard..
    IMO I would buy from another member that is selling one already set up and ready to go with mods for a decent price...
    check for your mags online check 44mag.com, he has excellent prices..and good luck in your decision.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i would haggle on the price.

just a few things to consider:

i would get one that is 5.56, not .223. 1:7 or 1:9 twist.
    Chrome lined barrel is better,but not required
    What are your uses for the rifle? i have a DPMS and i love it. I am not sure I personally could tell feel the difference between my Panther and a Colt, so why spend the extra money?

JJ1962IND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Anderson
    Thanks

Thanks for all the input!! It has helped alot..

I think I will hit the Gun Show and build my own...

I have narrowed down that I want the M4 type platform..MiL Spec all the way..

Thanks
    JJ

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    hey, before you go, check out new ruger. seems like a compilation, but who knows. they all work well just need a good trigger.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for all the input!! It has helped alot..

I think I will hit the Gun Show and build my own...

I have narrowed down that I want the M4 type platform..MiL Spec all the way..

Thanks
    JJ

My limited advice would be-- buy your first, build the rest.

Piecing one together from guns shows is. . . . dicey. Even if you were an experienced builder, the cost savings margin isn't that great. Save yourself the headache and the re-buying of cheap crappy parts. You'll hear "buy once, cry once" a lot around here.

I'd say go with the basic Stag and work it to your personal specifications from there.

(PS - a S&W MP-15MOE just came up on the classifieds for a killer price if you're willing to drive to Indy)

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    My limited advice would be-- buy your first, build the rest.

Piecing one together from guns shows is. . . . dicey. Even if you were an experienced builder, the cost savings margin isn't that great. Save yourself the headache and the re-buying of cheap crappy parts. You'll hear "buy once, cry once" a lot around here.

I'd say go with the basic Stag and work it to your personal specifications from there.

(PS - a S&W MP-15MOE just came up on the classifieds for a killer price if you're willing to drive to Indy)
    :yesway: Bought my first and kept it straight factory stock. Bought the second and it's been like a "Lego" set. Now, I have three stripped lowers to be built and only one LPK! Some guys get bitten and then some of us really get it bad!

I'm Jose, I'm an AR addict. I've been clean 24 hours (bought my last lower yesterday.)

Have fun!
    :ar15:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The big advantage is that you have a gun NOW that you can shoot TODAY. You can then upgrade it as the funds allow. Plus, if you buy a complete factory gun, you'll have at least one gun covered under warranty. I also found that I understood MUCH more about what it takes to build one when I had a complete one to reference.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The big advantage is that you have a gun NOW that you can shoot TODAY. You can then upgrade it as the funds allow. Plus, if you buy a complete factory gun, you'll have at least one gun covered under warranty. I also found that I understood MUCH more about what it takes to build one when I had a complete one to reference.

Agreed on this. First, building doesn't save a lot of money if you use quality parts or pay dearly for parts NOW that are back-orderd at reasonable prices elsewhere. Second, building can take weeks or months if you have to wait for parts (and that is likely). Third, buying does provide the confidence of having a properly built gun that is ready and able to fire right now.

Top Bottom