• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Here's my dilemma. I have the bug to buy a 5" or possibly 6" 1911. I have a Kimber Pro TLE II I will either sell or trade. I am a huge Sig fan. I thought I wanted a P220 until I held it. I truly want to stay with a 1911.
    I am leaning towards a Sig - but am considering a STI, Dan Wesson, Smith E Series. I am pretty open up to about $1200 bucks. I will not be an EDC.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I too am looking at the SIG 1911s.... specifically the TacOps and the Scorpion, both 5".

I may sell my Kimber Pro CDP series I or SIG P226 to get one. I'm wanting a full size w/ rail and night sights.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Here's my dilemma. I have the bug to buy a 5" or possibly 6" 1911. I have a Kimber Pro TLE II I will either sell or trade. I am a huge Sig fan. I thought I wanted a P220 until I held it. I truly want to stay with a 1911.
    I am leaning towards a Sig - but am considering a STI, Dan Wesson, Smith E Series. I am pretty open up to about $1200 bucks. I will not be an EDC.

Sig 1911 TacOps TB. It's a Sig, which you're obviously intrigued by. The barrel length falls right in the middle of your spectrum. It comes factory with a threaded barrel so if you're wanting or do suppressors at all it's ready to go. Comes with 4 Magazines standard. And I love mine, other people love mine too. One down side that you won't need to worry too much about since it's not going to be a carry is that the slide tends to show dirt a lot but again, with it not being carry you'll be fine.

B&W

Color
    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/77898323@N02/6831972740/]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77898323@N02/6831972740/

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    You might have to pony up a little bit more but get the Dan Wesson Valor, best value right now short of the semi-customs hands down.

+10! Listen to this man, he knows the platform!

Other suggestions for the TRP are also solid in my experience. The SIG 1911s I have shot have been uniformly reliable well built and just a hair under the quality of the DW or TRP. That said they come with an excellent feature set out of the box and would happily carry a proven one in harms way.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    For that amount of money the STI Trojan or SA TRP. If you can find a Dan Wesson Valor for that much grab it. I was lucky to grab a couple of VBOBS before their prices started going up. If all else fells, look at the classifieds on other boards for used Baers.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    +10! Listen to this man, he knows the platform!

Other suggestions for the TRP are also solid in my experience. The SIG 1911s I have shot have been uniformly reliable well built and just a hair under the quality of the DW or TRP. That said they come with an excellent feature set out of the box and would happily carry a proven one in harms way.

I've never owned the Sig's so I can't attest to them, but being a traditionalist they just never did anything for me but some of their newer models have looked pretty slick. Don't get me wrong the TRP's are a good value as well, there was a nice used one at Elmores the other day. So far the Valor is one of the few production guns I could be comfortable with out of the box, the TRP I would have to tweak here and there for my own satisfaction. I've been very impressed with the new Colts coming out as well and feel they are back in the game.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've never owned the Sig's so I can't attest to them, but being a traditionalist they just never did anything for me but some of their newer models have looked pretty slick. Don't get me wrong the TRP's are a good value as well, there was a nice used one at Elmores the other day. So far the Valor is one of the few production guns I could be comfortable with out of the box, the TRP I would have to tweak here and there for my own satisfaction. I've been very impressed with the new Colts coming out as well and feel they are back in the game.

I have a TRP, and I generally like it a lot. (4000rds in the last 4 months) BUT, I've put a fair amount of money into replacing the MIM guts and a few other tweaks. The "Tactical" engraving in the frame is a bit cheesy. The frame, slide and and barrel fitting are really good, but the rest..... meh. OEM trigger had alot of wobble in the frame, stock pull was somewhat on the heavy side, HUGE molding seam in the OEM MIM disconnector, fair amount of slop in slide-bushing fit, mag well was not blended to frame at all and somewhat canted, mildly annoying ILS MSH. Not huge issues, but for the money I'd expect better.

It's a good value, but not the best, in my opinion.

The Valor would get that nod.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    As long as you don't have some major ache for a traditional 1911, or even something remotely close, you will be in love with the sig 1911s.

Otherwise you're going to have one very sore case of buyer's remorse.

The few I've been around have been great guns. They did not seem like a 1911 to me though, they have their own kind of thing going on. But if you're cool with that, you'll be very happy.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    As long as you don't have some major ache for a traditional 1911, or even something remotely close, you will be in love with the sig 1911s.

Otherwise you're going to have one very sore case of buyer's remorse.

The few I've been around have been great guns. They did not seem like a 1911 to me though, they have their own kind of thing going on. But if you're cool with that, you'll be very happy.

Sig makes a traditional line of 1911s as well. They fit the usual holsters, have the standard slide profile and all. They are very well made guns. I'm going with the majority of folks on this one. Either get a SIG (traditional) or a Dan Wesson.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    TRP..............best you can do for that money hands down.

Yes, you are right, not all Kimbers are up to speed out of the box. No knock on the brand as many really are sold on them but I am not. JMHO.

I used to be a Kimber groupie. But the last 2 have been disappointments at the range. They are still beautiful firearms, and IMO, the CDP line is the best looking 1911 on the market, and when they work, they are a joy to shoot. But I expect better performance than I've gotten from mine lately.

OP, Ruger's 1911 is getting high marks from those who have experience with it. Just another option.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a TRP, and I generally like it a lot. (4000rds in the last 4 months) BUT, I've put a fair amount of money into replacing the MIM guts and a few other tweaks. The "Tactical" engraving in the frame is a bit cheesy. The frame, slide and and barrel fitting are really good, but the rest..... meh. OEM trigger had alot of wobble in the frame, stock pull was somewhat on the heavy side, HUGE molding seam in the OEM MIM disconnector, fair amount of slop in slide-bushing fit, mag well was not blended to frame at all and somewhat canted, mildly annoying ILS MSH. Not huge issues, but for the money I'd expect better.

It's a good value, but not the best, in my opinion.

The Valor would get that nod.

My TRP is not fit up as tight as my SA NM Trophy in stainless but they are 2 completely different guns. The Trophy is more oriented for the range and took near 1k rds. to get shot in. The TRP ran like a race horse right out of the box. For groups and dead on shooting I use the Trophy. The TRP is accurate but as Labeled it is a tactical gun. It has never missed a beat.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Both of my Dan Wessons are beautiful made weapons. Probably the best made short of a semi custom that is on the market. Go put your hands on a Valor and you will probably agree. I have a CBOB and a Guardian.

Here is my Guardian

IMG_0153.jpg

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Well, if you are in Dyer, you may want to go to Blythe's in Griffith. I was there not too long ago and they had some SWEEEET used Les Baers in stock.

Top Bottom