• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    I say close on Sundays. You guys need at least one day off for family and a social life. A day to not worry about the shop and what's going on with it. A day to completely get away from work and just enjoy life. If not, you'll be miserable and not enjoy the shop at all.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I don't even gun shop on Sunday because no shops are open on Sunday. I might stop into Gander Mountain because I know they will be open.

People have to know that you are open on Sunday to drive to your store on Sunday.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Well, I'm not a business owner, let alone a gun shop owner, and with a wife, kids, and house to take care of, I hardly ever get to go shoot any of my guns anymore, let alone buy more of them, but here's my two bits anyway.

First of all, I hate going to places like Gander Mountain because they NEVER have what I want. I'm always looking for N540 powder, N320 powder, berger bullets, 75gr match BTHPs, good ultralight bait casters, or good (eley, greentag, W22) 22 ammo. None of those guys carry any of that stuff. Very frustrating. I prefer to buy local, and prefer to buy from the little guy, but often times can't.

As far as store hours go, I'd say close on Sundays. You heard people asking for it, you gave it to them, now the numbers show that it's just not worth it. If someone is gong to come by you're place on Sunday, 99% of them are going to stop by during the week too, and so you won't actually see an increase in sales. Go spend the time with your family, or out spending some of the money that you're working such long hours to get.

Do what you want with your opening times, but I would thing that it would help you much to be open early. MAYBE you'll get a few guys come in and buy stuff, or at least look around on their lunch break. I remember when I was in school, during the summer times my buddies and I liked to do that quite a bit. Once or twice a week, we'd grab a burger and head over to a gun shop and spend or time looking around, or visiting with the owners. If they had something we were wanting, we would fondle the merchandise a little to feed our dream. I would say that being open for that time will help your sales of an evening, but you probably won't actually see a lot of dollars coming in during those hours. Doesn't mean that it isn't helpful though.

During the week, I'd say that you need to be open late enough every night for the average 9-5 joe to stop buy and pick something up that he needs. Not real late, but if he needs something he should be able to stop by on his way home from work and at least be able to get his foot in the door before you lock up. His wife want's him to get home soon anyway, so while he might want to stay an linger and visit, he won't mind it too much if he feels rushed because you are closing up. Maybe your hours say that you're open till 5:30, but you actually don't flip the sign and lock the door till 6. Again, you probably won't make a lot of money during this time, but I know that I like to shop at places like this, because I know that I CAN get it when I need it.

As far as Thursday and Friday go, yeah, I'd plan on being open longer. Especially on Friday. Depending on which days I've been paid on, I've made most of my bigger purchases on those days. I don't want to buy a gun on Saturday or Sunday, I want to take it out to the range on those days. I know that for the wife and I, about the only time we "head into town" is Friday night. We'll pick up a few things that we may need, and then make it a date night by having dinner too. The only reason I step foot into places like Gander Mountain is because they are the only ones open by the time I can get there (about 6 or 7 for us). Even when I did have the time, I'd go handle that Kimber every chance I got, but I'd go over after work when I got paid, and buy it. And I always wanted to fondle it some more before I filled out the paperwork and laid down the cash. It was my way of keeping the owner in suspense. Yeah, like he had not already figured out that I was going to be buying that gun since I'd been in the a dozen times or more "playing" with it.

Anyway, that's my 2 bits straight from the arm chair.
    Mark

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Not that simple

Originally Posted by Michiana
    Indiana dealers work at the 7% disavantage over internet sellers so I believe people who buy from us do so out of loyalty for local businesses.

If you buy online, you don't pay sales tax, but you do pay an FFL trasfer fee of $25 on the low end. Also, they'll be paying shipping. This means that the difference is nil if the gun costs up to $500.
    Also, buying second-hand online is inferior. How can you inspect the gun? FTF is much better.

Also, it is not difficult to get into the game of selling online through GunBroker, or through your own web site, or both, taking into account new tools for making web sites. If you have trouble figuring it out, there's always kids looking for cash.

Most of the FFL's I know charge $20, not $25. Remember the dealer also has to pay shipping from their distributor which is added on to the selling price and depending on who they buy from it can be as much as $22 for a gun. I always tell people to check Gunbroker and Buds first before I quote them a price as it is often very hard to compete with Buds. I sometimes see Buds charging only a few dollars more than I have to pay "dealer cost" for a specific gun and many times shipping is included. On a $500 "my dealer cost" gun, lets figure I pay another $10 for shipping and mark the gun up 10% so I am at $560 plus 39.20 IN sales tax brings my selling price to $599.20. Buds might sell it for $550-$560 inc. shipping and with a $20 transfer fee they are still less then me. I often see guns listed on Buds for almost the same price I have to pay my distributor.

Gunbroker is all over the ball park but if you take your time you can get some decent prices. I tell my customers to do their math and sometimes I am less and sometimes I am more. People don't stop and think that there are so many different models out there it would be impossible for even big dealers to stock a small percentage of the most popular models. Check how many different versions of just Glock 17's or 22's are available. No matter what you as a dealer buy for stock your customer often wants something else. Most distributors have limited models in stock and won't tell the dealer how long it will take for them to get a specific gun in house. With Gunbroker there is a good chance someone will have that model you are looking for on sale.

I can make $20 doing a transfer without putting out a dime of my own money so it is not worth it for me to make less than $40 on a gun. That extra $20 from the gun sale doubles the time and also more paperwork for me. To compete with the Internet I sometimes have to sell a gun for $25 over cost which really makes no sense. I sell guns because I get tired of just doing transfers and also I need to service my customers. I was in the mold building business for many years and can honestly say I have on occasion spent more time selling a $500 gun, start to finish then selling and overseeing the building of a $10,000 mold and making $800 profit. Remember the gun shop and even the home based FFL has expenses to cover out of that small profit margin, it does not all go in our pocket.

There is a cost for listing on Gunbroker and depending on how long it takes to sell the item that cost can go up to $10 or more. If you are making $50 profit on a $500 gun that takes 20% off the top. Shipping is often a break even proposition so you have extra time involved there. I do this because it is a hobby for me and I make my spend money but the guy with the store front is making a living from his business and also has to compete with the internet which is not easy.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Originally Posted by Michiana
    Indiana dealers work at the 7% disavantage over internet sellers so I believe people who buy from us do so out of loyalty for local businesses.

Most of the FFL's I know charge $20, not $25. Remember the dealer also has to pay shipping from their distributor which is added on to the selling price and depending on who they buy from it can be as much as $22 for a gun. I always tell people to check Gunbroker and Buds first before I quote them a price as it is often very hard to compete with Buds. I sometimes see Buds charging only a few dollars more than I have to pay "dealer cost" for a specific gun and many times shipping is included. On a $500 "my dealer cost" gun, lets figure I pay another $10 for shipping and mark the gun up 10% so I am at $560 plus 39.20 IN sales tax brings my selling price to $599.20. Buds might sell it for $550-$560 inc. shipping and with a $20 transfer fee they are still less then me. I often see guns listed on Buds for almost the same price I have to pay my distributor.

Gunbroker is all over the ball park but if you take your time you can get some decent prices. I tell my customers to do their math and sometimes I am less and sometimes I am more. People don't stop and think that there are so many different models out there it would be impossible for even big dealers to stock a small percentage of the most popular models. Check how many different versions of just Glock 17's or 22's are available. No matter what you as a dealer buy for stock your customer often wants something else. Most distributors have limited models in stock and won't tell the dealer how long it will take for them to get a specific gun in house. With Gunbroker there is a good chance someone will have that model you are looking for on sale.

I can make $20 doing a transfer without putting out a dime of my own money so it is not worth it for me to make less than $40 on a gun. That extra $20 from the gun sale doubles the time and also more paperwork for me. To compete with the Internet I sometimes have to sell a gun for $25 over cost which really makes no sense. I sell guns because I get tired of just doing transfers and also I need to service my customers. I was in the mold building business for many years and can honestly say I have on occasion spent more time selling a $500 gun, start to finish then selling and building a $10,000 mold and making $800 profit. Remember the gun shop and even the home based FFL has expenses to cover out of that small profit margin, it does not all go in our pocket.

There is a cost for listing on Gunbroker and depending on how long it takes to sell the item that cost can go up to $10 or more. If you are making $50 profit on a $500 gun that takes 20% off the top. Shipping is often a break even proposition so you have extra time involved there. I do this because it is a hobby for me and I make my spend money but the guy with the store front is making a living from his business and has to compete with the internet which is not easy.

Yep. I generally buy my $600~ firearms locally. For higher priced items it makes no sense to buy locally. Max $30 shipping and a $20 transfer is always less than Indiana taxes.

Case in point, I just bought a NIB Springfield TRP for $1,200 out the door. $1,150 for the TRP and $30 t0 ship (no credit card fee, so I get rewards points for it too) and then a twenty dollar bill to my FFL.

Taxes alone on $1,150 are $80. I don't mind supporting local shops but here in NW Indiana, they all suck. So I drive to Midwest gun exchange or deal with the home based FFL's.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Well, after finding out your open on Sunday, I stopped by Sunday. Thanks for being open on Sunday and the new Glock 17 Gen. 4. Nice shop!

shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I have stopped by on Sunday even though I didn't make a purchase it was a great afternoon!!! Thank You for your Sunday afternoon!!

Top Bottom