Need help with picking DIY alarm system.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    My girlfriend and I have decided it's time to put some type of alarm system on the house. We can't afford and don't need a monitored system, and I can install whatever system we decide on.

But I don't know where to start looking, besides RadioShack which cut back their selection.

House is single story with basement. It has three doors (front, back, and garage) and many windows, two of which are large plate glass. Basement has small windows in wells, but big enough for possible entry.

We want a central lighted keypad with 30-45 second delay upon entry, with option for immediate alarm, and immediate glass break alarm. Key fobs are a big plus as is external siren and motion sensor but we have a cat.

Any suggestions?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Do you want it tied into your phone line for the fire and fuzz? If so, I bet you'd need to hire pros. If not, I bet you could do all of the external home monitoring yourself.

Lowe's has motion detecting floodlights with wireless signal to an indoor outlet (I paid $60) Menards has a wireless camera that turns on with motion and records to SD card ($200) I have to shop that one around - I think there is something better - and probably cheaper out there. My brother put up remote wireless cameras in his factory that are wireless network enabled - he said they were less than $200, but unless you have a dedicated hard drive, you would be recording a lot of nothing. I'll get the brand info later.

Internal motion detectors I would avoid because of Mr.Cat. If your system starts giving you false alarms it will be treated as the little boy who cried wolf.

Door and window switches (magnetic) are available at the big box stores, too. I haven't tried them but I thing the wireless ones still need batteries. The wired ones require a lot of wire fishing.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    They have pet proof motion detectors

Internal motion detectors I would avoid because of Mr.Cat. If your system starts giving you false alarms it will be treated as the little boy who cried wolf. quote]

This is my third home with a professionally installed security system and all three had motion detectors which were never a problem with our cats and dog. Unless you tie every window into your system you need motion detectors. As for horns when was the last time you saw anyone get excited when a car alarm goes off? Personally I feel if you are not going to be monitored you are risking a lot as most people don't want to get involved anymore. :twocents:

jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy
    Less hassle...get monitored system...adt..brinks...etc. Most of them are decently priced.

Hell I have one and I stay in an apartment.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    Probably lower scale than you want, but I bought these alarms that fix to windows and doors. Any time they are tripped they scream bloody murder. Loud enough for my neighbors to hear. I think I payed 30-50 bucks for 8 devices and a few years worth of batteries.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wont get a system tied into my phoneline. I just wont do it. It busted me before. I can't rely on them to get there without getting me in trouble.

Pardon me while I threadjack:

Not one to put on a tin-foil hat, but - when I was 20.9 years of age had a few guys and girls over to my parents place when they were out of town I was supposed to be watching the dogs, had a few beers and nothing else. No loud music, no drugs of any kind.
    Well guess who came by? The sheriff's son said the 'silent alarm' was calling into the dispatch and couldn't really specify anything else. It was BS. He got me. There was a whole 12 pack between us and we were in BIG trouble.

The system didn't have a silent alarm feature back then. It was about 10:00 at night and the nieghbor guy later told me he watched the deputy pull into the driveway and walk around the back of the house. No back up. No concern of a possible break in.

He saw a few cars at a house he knew that he could hassle me over something. So there were six of use and they brought 8 (!) deputies to take us to lock up (must have been a slow Saturday Night). Paid the diversion fee (MIP alcohol) and that was that.

No harm. Just a pain in the rear. I'm pretty sure they were disappointed they didn't find weed or anything. I don't hate cops over the incident - I have good pals in Indiana and Michigan that are friends and cops. THAT particular snot nose deputy, can suck it. He was such a Barney.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I wont get a system tied into my phoneline. I just wont do it. It busted me before. I can't rely on them to get there without getting me in trouble.

Pardon me while I threadjack:

Not one to put on a tin-foil hat, but - when I was 20.9 years of age had a few guys and girls over to my parents place when they were out of town I was supposed to be watching the dogs, had a few beers and nothing else. No loud music, no drugs of any kind.
    Well guess who came by? The sheriff's son said the 'silent alarm' was calling into the dispatch and couldn't really specify anything else. It was BS. He got me. There was a whole 12 pack between us and we were in BIG trouble.

The system didn't have a silent alarm feature back then. It was about 10:00 at night and the nieghbor guy later told me he watched the deputy pull into the driveway and walk around the back of the house. No back up. No concern of a possible break in.

He saw a few cars at a house he knew that he could hassle me over something. So there were six of use and they brought 8 (!) deputies to take us to lock up (must have been a slow Saturday Night). Paid the diversion fee (MIP alcohol) and that was that.

No harm. Just a pain in the rear. I'm pretty sure they were disappointed they didn't find weed or anything. I don't hate cops over the incident - I have good pals in Indiana and Michigan that are friends and cops. THAT particular snot nose deputy, can suck it. He was such a Barney.

Really not sure what you just wrote has to do with monitoring your alarm system? Were you and your friends just sitting around watching a movie on TV it would have been a non issue; you would have said sorry officer, I don't know what set the alarm off and everything would have been cool.

Someone obviously set off the alarm, I had it happen to me twice from the key fob in my pocket setting it off. Cops showed up and that was it. I had the panic button on the key fob deprogrammed and no more problems. I still believe monitoring is necessary but that is just my opinion; to each his own. :dunno: :twocents:

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    my thoughts on alarms are start at the animal shelter nothing beats a good dog. he will alert you to the sound of a door, window or noise outside. and in most cases their bark alone is enough to scare off an intruder when you're not home because the intruder does not know how big the dog is. plus you get the bonus of a loyal cmpanion no monitoring fee required unless you count dog food

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    my thoughts on alarms are start at the animal shelter nothing beats a good dog. he will alert you to the sound of a door, window or noise outside. and in most cases their bark alone is enough to scare off an intruder when you're not home because the intruder does not know how big the dog is. plus you get the bonus of a loyal cmpanion no monitoring fee required unless you count dog food

That is ideal solution #1... but my GF is highly allergic.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I installed my own system earlier this year. UL listed Monitoring is $9/mo (compare that the ADT, etc.), IF you want it, otherwise you can set it up to call or page you directly instead. In my case, our insurance discount offsets 4 months of monitoring every year, so the incremental/marginal cost of monitoring is only $81 annually ($6.75/mo). Wireless systems make the installation easy. Cost can vary widely depending on how many sensors you want/how much you want to cover, but a basic kit with a couple of door/window contacts and a motion sensor runs around $200. These folks were good to deal with (as has been mentioned, +1 for SafeMart). Even "pet immune" sensors can be problematic with cats as they tend to jump up on things.

Wireless Home Security with DIY Burglar Alarms - Free Shipping!

It's not rocket science. You just have to put some thought into how you want to set it up and configure it.

I think I had around $600 into it initially, but I have a lot of sensors and tied my smoke/fire detection in also. All DIY. Works great. No issues so far in 4 months of use.

Remember though, an alarm system should be just one layer in your security architecture. It's not the end all be all.

Don't bother with Radio Shack.

Last edited:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    If your basement is unfinished you can use this to run any needed wires. Wireless is more money, but doesn't have the wires to worry about. For the windows you can use the windows contacts. (magnetic reed switches.) or you use motions or glass break sensors. Most newer systems now have the options to send you text messages if your prefer to not be monitored. ADT and BRINKS are out as their whole business is based on getting you to sign up for the monitoring. If you want pm me and I'll see if I can get you a good deal on an alarm.

Top Bottom