• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fureater46902

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    So I have always enjoyed the rare treat of squrrel from time to time when someone has it. I would like to go get my own tree rats. Has anyone gone hunting in missinawa for them? Also I have never gone hunting myself... so im looking for hunting etiquette and tips. I have firearms expierance and training but it has all been target and tatical shooting. I was planning to use a .22lr. Is that a good gun to use since the animal is so small? and where is the best place to shoot the animal (head, Lungs, or somewhere else). Thanks im a novice to hunting.

ELMO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Kokomo, Indiana
    The .22LR is an excellent choice for squirrels and if your shot allows it, go for a head shot. I have hunted Mississinewa reservoir area many times and they have some squirrels there. A good time to go is early season with leaves on the trees and early morning. It is easy to just sit and wait for movement from squirrels heading for the nut trees and then you sneak up on them without being detected. So a little scouting helps in finding where the squirrels are feeding, during a certain time of the season. Look for Hickory, Oak, and Walnut trees and look for cuttings on the ground to see if squirrels are hitting that specific nut. Also early season don't forget your insect repellant... Above all, have fun out there....

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So I have always enjoyed the rare treat of squrrel from time to time when someone has it. I would like to go get my own tree rats. Has anyone gone hunting in missinawa for them? Also I have never gone hunting myself... so im looking for hunting etiquette and tips. I have firearms expierance and training but it has all been target and tatical shooting. I was planning to use a .22lr. Is that a good gun to use since the animal is so small? and where is the best place to shoot the animal (head, Lungs, or somewhere else). Thanks im a novice to hunting.

Head is best but through the front shoulders is nothing to be ashamed of.

If you don't already know your trees get one of those pocket tree guides. What you see them eating one day, they'll be eating the next and in other parts of the same area. Pick up a pocket full of acorns or small stones while you are walking. If you see one and he runs round the wrong side of a tree toss a rock over there and sit still for him to come round your side and try to peek at it.

maarlborogto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    expert advice on squirrels

first the best time to go is at the crack of dawn and i usually stay out till about 1030 in the morning the best days are when its really calm no wind in early season and enter the woods and ust stop and listen when they eat it sounds like rapid crunching and just follow the sound till you see the nut shaving comming down from the tree its takes some patients and they do move around a lot during the morning and if you cant find where the squirrel is in the tree wait a few minutes and most of the time they will jump cant miss it when it does they will shake the whole limb. they mostly feed on hickory nuts its a very distinct tree that looks like the bark is peelong right off of it if you find a patch of thoes trees chances of getting one are very good they also like beech trees it a very smooth looking tree thats very grey colored. just walk real slow to stalk them and stop very often to listen when they eat its called cutting. sometimes you will get lucky and they will "bark" its a really fast and raspy sound that cant be mistaken for a bird, its pretty much a pin point of exactually where they are at and thoes 98% of the time are red squirrels. during early season i use a shotgun with #5 and preferably #6 shot because of the amount of leave cover in the trees. during the hot part of the day they stop moving and you most likely wont see any again best time would be early morning and late evening hope this helps you

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    Early season, Shotgun and 4s is your friend. Much more *user friendly* then a 22, and you can hit them on a run that way.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've been squirrel hunting for over 40 years. I'd say there are different schools of thought about squirrel hunting. I don't know that either is right or wrong. Perhaps it is only a matter of preference.

There are movers and sitters. My Dad was a mover. He sneaked around the woods, scanned, & listened. If he saw nothing that interested him within five minutes or less, he moved on to somewhere else and repeated the process. He covered 5 times as much territory as I did.

I am a "sitter." I like to find a good stand of whatever trees the squirrel are cutting on. Then I find a good position allowing me some cover while also being able to see the most area. I plant myself and wait for them to show themselves to me or come to me. I am more likely to spend too much time in one area.

Since you are a novice, I will also caution you about shooting squirrel on the ground or on tree trunks at human-level. If you are hunting on public ground, you are likely to be in the woods with other hunters. Be certain your shot doesn't go beyond it's target and hit a fellow hunter who is quiet, camouflaged, and hidden from you. I'd much rather take a shot in the crown of a tree than on a low trunk or the ground.

And remember two words: mosquito repellent.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I see a thousand more squirrels when I'm up a tree with a slug gun.

Exactly what I was getting ready to post! The best way to see lots of squirrels up close, with perfect shot opportunities, is during deer season with your slug gun. :)

Years ago I was set up in the base of a hollowed out Sycamore tree, and litterally had one walk up to me, sit on my boot, look up at me, sniff a few times, and then keep going.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Works the other way around, too. Last week, Sean and I were squirrel hunting by ourselves, when a doe walked up the path behind us. Stopped and ate not 15 feet from us. Neither of us moved, but when she started peeing Sean busted out with "SHE'S PEEING!" LOL I think he scared the poor thing half to death.

We've not been back to that spot, though... I'm keeping it in mind for the youth hunt coming up in a few weeks.

fureater46902

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    so i have gone out twice... one in the evening from 7-830 and once about 7am-830am but i have not seen a single one... i need some tips on spoting them. I have found the cuttings on the ground and heard a few but i can not spot them :( grrr...

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    so i have gone out twice... one in the evening from 7-830 and once about 7am-830am but i have not seen a single one... i need some tips on spoting them. I have found the cuttings on the ground and heard a few but i can not spot them :( grrr...

Keep watching the tree tops. If there is any wind blowing the branches will sway back and forth. If a squirrel is up there feeding the branches will have more of a bounce. Keep watching and you will learn to tell the difference. This time of the year when the leaves are still up it is hard to spot them just keep trying you learn the more you're out there.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I see a thousand more squirrels when I'm up a tree with a slug gun.
    That's why I always carry my Ruger single six with me while deer hunting. They are smart little suckers they always seem to know when your Deer hunting. And will run around barking at you like 'HA HA your Deer hunting!". That's when that little revolver comes in real handy. :draw:

Top Bottom