• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThatOneKid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Batesville
    Hey guys, I'm in need of some help/advice.
    I've been going back and forth between a Xds in 9mm/.45 or a smaller Glock in .45 to use as my carry gun.

A friend of mine had an XDM for a little while and absolutely loved it. He also has a few Glocks in .40 and .45, (that I haven't shot) and says the XDM wipes the floor with them. We shot everything out of it, cheap commie stuff, and cast lead reloads. He doesn't trust his Glocks to do this because of how the barrel is made/supported? (IDK, he is kinda crazy) Is there any truth to this? Because I'm a bit of a cheapo, I'll want to shoot cast lead bullets through my gun, just to plink around with.

Thanks in advance!

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Welcome from a Greensburg native. My wife is from Batesville and my dad grew up there... Know a lot of people from there!

Anyways, I can't say from a comparison standpoint the Springfield is better because I've never shot a Glock. However, when I bought my XDm a couple years ago, I held a Glock and couldn't put it down soon enough. Not for me. My XDm is awesome.

I just got my XDs 9mm yesterday. First impressions are very good. I have some more practice before my accuracy is as good on the XDs as it is on the XDm.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    They say not to shoot lead out of a glock due to the rifling.. Do people still do it? Yes. Is it bad? I think certain variables come into play here...

That all being said I vote Glock

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    They say not to use lead in a glock because the lead is softer than a copper jacketed bullet and can clog the rifling up...with that said as long as you use a good bore cleaner designed for lead than you wont have any issues.

Glock is less expensive than an xdm and more than the xd but very similar to the xds although glock doesnt really have a pistol that competes with the xds. go hold them and see what fits your hand the best and which one you like.

ThatOneKid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Batesville
    look how many police departments carry xd anything...i'm not a glock fan boy and i dont own one but i'd definitely take a glock over an xd.

Doesn't Glock take huge losses just so they can say that? IDK, just something I was told at a trap shoot.

Welcome from a Greensburg native. My wife is from Batesville and my dad grew up there... Know a lot of people from there!

Anyways, I can't say from a comparison standpoint the Springfield is better because I've never shot a Glock. However, when I bought my XDm a couple years ago, I held a Glock and couldn't put it down soon enough. Not for me. My XDm is awesome.

I just got my XDs 9mm yesterday. First impressions are very good. I have some more practice before my accuracy is as good on the XDs as it is on the XDm.

Eww, Greensburg :rolleyes: Lol, joking aside, I've shot both, and both fit my hand pretty well. The real deal breaker/maker would be if the glocks could shoot cast lead safely and reliably. Anyone shoot cast lead through your G?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    When I first started shooting and had no preconceived notions about what brand of gun was better than another the xd felt much more natural when gripping and handling it than the glock. I think you should see what feels better in your hand and at the range and then go from there.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I had the same decision to make and I chose the XDm. Those things will eat any ammo. Lots of standard stuff with it, extra mags, holster, mag holster, speed loader, adjustable backstraps.

Plus, I didn't want what everybody else has. Besides all the performance features, I really like the grip safety. I think the number one reason for accidental discharge on a Glock is when it is being holstered and the trigger gets pressed.

When I holster my XDm, I put my thumb on the back of the slide, off of the grip safety, so there is no (well very little) chance of that happening.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I shot a few Glocks starting back in the 90s, but never really liked them. Maybe just the whole fanboy stuff and the "every gun should be a glock" crap.

So...I went with an XD40SC, then an XD40service, then an XDS45, and an XDS9 for my wife.:draw:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The real deal breaker/maker would be if the glocks could shoot cast lead safely and reliably. Anyone shoot cast lead through your G?

The Glock does have polygonal rifling and SOME earlier chambers in SOME calibers were known to not have the best chamber support... As far as I am aware, they are all much better now days...

If your cast bullet is sized properly and it's the correct hardness for the velocity it's loaded too, you shouldn't have a leading issue... I have loaded 9mm and .45 ACP for Glocks and have never had any trouble with leading or reliability...

If both feel good to you, I'd probably lean toward the XD if you're not going to load your own... If the Glock feels better but you are concerned about chamber support or the polygonal rifling, you could always spend about $100.00 and buy a traditional rifled barrel from lone wolf...

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    If you meant XD's in 45 -the Glk is smaller. Just does it fit your hands-new Gen 4 has 4 backstraps and 30s Gen 4 looks fine. I am an XD/XDM/XDs person. both 45 and 9mm. I would see if you can shoot both before you buy either. Good Luck

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I own both...2 XD's (both in 9mm) and 6 Glocks. I reload cast lead bullets and fire them out of the Glocks for competition...I just brush out the barrel with a bore snake every hundred rounds or so. The XD seems very robust and has less felt recoil for me. All that being said, the XD's are a bit big for carry compared to my Glock 26. If it's just a range gun, XD all the way.

Top Bottom