• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coaltrain444

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    just interested in getting either one. not sure whats good bad or ugly. i like the form of the ar-15. very new to these types of rifles so very confused. thankss

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    What are you wanting to do with it?

That will help making your decision a LOT easier.

AK:
    - Cheaper Entry (usually)
    - Simpler operation (general consensus)
    - Cheaper Ammo (for sure, especially shooting 5.45)
    - Just plain works

AR:
    - More accurate (usually)
    - Mod-ability (they don't call it the lego gun for nothing)
    - Options
    - weighs less (usually)
    - Ammo more expensive

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Easy answer...get both.

Really it depends. The AR will be a bit more expensive up front, but will also be the most customizable. The AK is a workhorse that will go bang every time and provide you with a timeless classic with an unmistakable look.

Ammo is a little cheaper on the AK, but a lot of guys that get into the AR also reload, reducing the cost of ammo.

The AR has the edge when it comes to accuracy potential, but you still have to do your part.

To be honest you won't be dissapointed with either. Both are very good carbines in an intermediate cartridge that does a good job plinking, shoting competitions, and that can also be used for self defense if need be.

coaltrain444

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    im not really sure what i would use it for. i want to start going to range more often but id would really like whatever i get to be pretty accurate. i like the looks of the ar but am not sure of the possibilities of this gun. what would you guys recommend as far as caliber. thanks

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :smileak: Love the AK!!! :rockwoot: Out of all my guns it is by far my favorite to shoot. :D

Mr.JAG and jblomenberg16 above pretty much nailed it though. Both are fun, can't go wrong! I just personally prefer the AK :ingo:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Either one will do, depending on your intent.
    YouTube - AK 47 vs M16
    In the video, pay particular attention to the part beginnig at about 3 min 5 sec through to about 4 min. If this doesn't make up your mind I don't know what will.
    I bought 3 AKs for the price of 1 cheap AR and couldn't be happier. The part of that vid about the accuracy is a bit skewed too, the AK can be pretty close to the same as the AR out to around 150 yards in my experience.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Get an AR. It's much more versatile. If this is your first rifle, it can do a lot. You can swap out the upper and go from a normal AR, to a match grade rifle, to a CQB shooter. Heck Remington makes a 7.62 upper that will work with a traditional AR lower. I feel like the only thing an AK can do better than a properly set up AR, is be that classic Russian design. The AR in my opinion, will not have a "classic" design for many years to come.

I'm not sure that cost should be an issue. You can get a cheap AK for around five or six hundred bucks. You can get a cheap AR for as low as the 700's. Not a huge difference in price at all. If you want a good AK, you can expect to pay as much as you would for a more quality name brand AR.

The AR platform is just plain fun to tinker with. There's so much aftermarket stuff available and quite a bit of information on how to tweak yours to do exactly what you want with it.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Airborne33, just want to clarify here.

Cheap AKs can be had for mid-300's. Heck, even Dunhams sporting goods will sell Wasrs for 340ish pretty consistently.

$500-$600 puts you at mid range stuff.

Top of line stuff like Arsenal builds are more in line with AR costs.

Not arguing, just pointing out the price difference is a little wider than you implied.

Heck, for 350 bucks a guy can pick up a Saiga rifle and get all matching components and a chrome lined barrel completely made in Russia . A decision on making the AK conversion can come later (150ish for a basic deal). Doesn't really get much better than that IMO.

CoalTrain:

I respect the hell out of the AR platform, but it just doesn't give me that "happy feeling in my pants" like the AK does. All it takes is people to hear the word "AK47" and they wanna see/touch/shoot it. Just has that iconic reputation behind it.

If accuracy is a major concern for you but you are really digging the AK, consider an AK-74 chambered in 5.45x39. Those rifles tend to be great shooters and surprisingly accurate. The ammo is dirt cheap (1080 rnds for 130-140ish) and have even less recoil than the 5.56 in the AR platform.

Last edited:

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Not sure what your purpose is for either the AR or AK but I think Mr. JAG gave a pretty good basic breakdown for you. You should go to a gun store and handle both, if you know anybody that owns one or both, I'd supply the ammo if I were you and ask them if you can shoot. Then make your choice.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I'd also like to add, with an AK you may not have the option of making it as tacticool as the AR lends itself too, but you also won't double the base price doing so.
    here's the favorite rifle in my collection and yes, it does give me that happy feeling in my pants that MrJag mentions;)
    GunshowA37.jpg

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ohhhhh, are we posting pictures of persuasion? Really digging that stabbing mechanism ThrottleJockey, better than any "tacticool". :D

My Saiga Ak for viewing pleasure:

UP5.png

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Ohhhhh, are we posting pictures of persuasion? Really digging that stabbing mechanism ThrottleJockey, better than any "tacticool". :D

My Saiga Ak for viewing pleasure:

UP5.png
    VERY nice!!! That Bayo is actually an old mark 1 that I modified a bit to fit on my WASR. I hate the looks of the newer "wire cutter" bayo. The rails on yours are pretty cool, I haven't seen any that low pro before.

ETA: Notice the cleaning rod on mine? Took a bit of work to keep it with the fiber force stock, but I like it there.....Already had to do some work to get a good fit with the fiber force anyways....

Last edited:

vietboy1st

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Boston, MAss
    why don't you borrow both and try to shoot it. Then make a decision after that. If you are looking for compitition go for ar. if you are looking for cheap fun shooting at the range. you can either get a cheap ar or ak. Ar has a lot of available parts and accessories to pimp it out. And ak has only a few.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    why don't you borrow both and try to shoot it. Then make a decision after that. If you are looking for compitition go for ar. if you are looking for cheap fun shooting at the range. you can either get a cheap ar or ak. Ar has a lot of available parts and accessories to pimp it out. And ak has only a few.
    I know, it's hard to improve on perfection:) If you look around, there are PLENTY. The only thing an AR does that an AK doesn't is have interchangeable uppers and cost a TON of money by comparison. They are both fine weapons, it's just a matter of personal preference. Some say the AR is for tinkerers while the AK is for shooters, others say the AR is for shooters while the AK is for fighting wars against insurmountable odds....It's like the difference between mustangs and camaros....just a matter of what you like and what you want. As others have said, shoot both then decide.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    3rd world peasants build and shoot AKs....

They each have their purpose, I love the look and feel of an AR. If you really want that "HAPPY" feeling in your pants get an AR10 variant. I have the LR308AP4 it is an AR that shoots the "BIG" round.

My ARs get a work out they are practice and training guns. My AK is my range toy. Smoking handgaurds rule!!!! Plus it really helps cook the cosmoline out of the wood.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    I also had the same dilema as the OP, however I went the AR route first. Now I want an AK due to the price of rounds. AR=$.31 per/1k (factory reloads), AK=$.23 per/1k (TULA). Get an AK, shoot the crap out of it; then when you're ready to settle down, buy an AR and experiment with uppers:D

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I have always been an AR guy but recently started doing some training and practice with the AK platform. I recently ran both through the same carbine match. AR with optic and an 74 with irons and the irons was 2 seconds faster on a 40 second run. The AR was the first run so I am sure it made the second run AK faster. But I consider them fairly equal in this area. However when the targets get small of farther away the AK sucks. There is no 2 ways about it. While shooting practice AQTs I can shoot 230+ scores right hand or left pretty easily with the AR. With the AK I have never been able to shoot over 200 and trust me I have tried many times. It does not take a sub moa rifle to shoot these scores but a 4moa surplus rifle shooting surplus ammo is all it takes. Those that say an AK is as accurate as an AR must have something special because I have seen several different AKs in the hands of some very competent shooters and they do not impress me with their accuracy.

If you are wanting a range toy or a door kicking rifle the AK is a very good rifle for this. Yes it is very reliable for the most part but I have seen these go down too. The $350 dollar rifles suffer in quality some things to look for are the canted front sight base, loose magazine lock up and crappy rivet jobs on the receivers. they can all be fixed but this does cost money. Many of the AK74s will keyhole the bullets I got lucky with mine it shoots good.
    My AR I use for coyote hunting, carbine matches, tactical rifle matches, Appleseed, military matches. It shoots very well and I shot it out to 700 yards with good results and had good results in the door kicking classes and matches. Running 1000 rounds in a weekend. Reliability has not been an issue for me with nearly 10,000 rounds through my mid length AR. I clean it about every 1000 rounds through it. I have to clean my AK74 everytime I shoot it because of the cheap 5.45x39 ammo that is available is corrosive. If you do not clean it after every range session 10 rounds or 1000 rounds you will have a rusty mess and risk the usefulness of your rifle.

I believe what you end up with depends on what you intentions are with the rifle. They both are great rifles with strengths and weaknesses. I say buy both, but if I could only have one for my uses the AR would be the only one.

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    I have always been an AK guy up until recently. I still have a 74 and 47 and both are fun as could be. The 74 gives you very cheap ammo to dispose of at the range. You can't beat the price unless shooting 22's.

I steered clear of the AR because I thought it was too confusing. I bought one recently and it just takes some getting to know. After taking it apart quite a few times, it is just a tad bit harder than the AK. That may just mean it has more thought put in the platform:). They all have their purposes and if you start with one you'll end up buying the other anyway. Curiosity is expensive!

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    It depends on what you want to DO with the rifle.

It doesnt make a lot of sense to make recommendations without that critical peice of information.

Do you want to shoot competitivly at ANY level? That would be influential in the determination.

If you want it to blow up pop cans, and for "SHTF" then it doesnt really matter does it?

The other thing to consider, I spent more on my red dot for the AR then it costs to get a AK. so getting both is not out of the question.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm not really sure what i would use it for. i want to start going to range more often but id would really like whatever i get to be pretty accurate. i like the looks of the AR but am not sure of the possibilities of this gun. what would you guys recommend as far as caliber. thanks

Once I got my AK sighted in, I can now put every round on an 8" target at 50 yards. That is center mass every shot. Still need to try it at 100 yards. With my buddies AR, I was getting about the same groupings. Both at 50 yards using iron sights. They are both great platforms. I prefer the AK, because of its pure reliability. Plus the 7.62 round packs a little more punch. However, the 7.62 looses out on max affective range. Plus there are a lot more aftermarket upgrades for the AR. You are starting to see more aftermarket stuff for the AK. Also there are a lot more factory loads available for the AR, unless you happen to reload. The cheapest factory 5.56 I have seen locally is $8 a box. The cheapest factory 7.62 I have seen locally is $5 a box.

If SHTF and I had to the choose between an AR, and an AK as my main Battle rifle. I would grab the AK. Again because they are so damn reliable. I do not even clean mine, I use non corrosive ammo though. It just goes back into the safe. AR's require a lot more maintenance to be reliable.

Another advantages of the AR is choice of calibers.

.22LR
    .223/5.65
    .50 Baewolf
    Etc.

I personally own a Maadi (Egyptian) AK. My Dad gave it to me, when I got out of the service. He bought it with an aftermarket stock already installed. I wound up adding a CCA lower hand guard with rails, and a Brownell's broom stick. I also painted the furniture OD green.

004-5.jpg

Top Bottom