• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • staten42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    I am wanting to start with my first AR build, and would love some help selecting a good lower. I think my first build is going to be somewhat of a budget build.
    I would love to find a good source for affordable lowers, if anyone knows of any!
    Any resources you all could share would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

BJ
    in Noblesville.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Define affordable Sub $100? $100-$125?

You have a few options under $125, Spikes appears often. If ou get lucky some will post RRA and Mega for those prices. Fit and finish are generaly the destinguishing factors as most today are made to mil-spec.

Keep an eye out in the F/S section. You'd be surprised what pops up and for how much

staten42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    I'd love to find one for under a $100. With this being my first build, I don't necessarily want to swing for the fences on my first attempt. I'd even be up for assembling a lower if I found a stripped one cheap enough!

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    You can get Spikes lowers for under $100. Check out curraheeguns at SSNFA, he may still have some. They are a site advertiser on the forum.

LRHostetler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Where in Indiana are you? If you're going for a budget build your best bet is probably gonna be to try to find your stripped lower locally and avoid the transfer fee. If you're anywhere near Fort Wayne, Russ at Ranger Supply Company sometimes has lowers in stock and he usually has very reasonable prices. Another one you might want to check into is Delaware Machine. They're made in Muncie. I think I read somewhere that those were selling at the last 1500 for sub $100.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Use a Tactical Innovations T15 lower. $99 and the best you will find in it's price range. 21st Century is a stocking dealer now I believe.

staten42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Where in Indiana are you? If you're going for a budget build your best bet is probably gonna be to try to find your stripped lower locally and avoid the transfer fee. If you're anywhere near Fort Wayne, Russ at Ranger Supply Company sometimes has lowers in stock and he usually has very reasonable prices. Another one you might want to check into is Delaware Machine. They're made in Muncie. I think I read somewhere that those were selling at the last 1500 for sub $100.

I live in Noblesville (just north of Indy)

I may have to check Russ out of these weekends. I drill in Muncie, so I'm there once a month. Definitely something else to check out!

Thanks for the leads!

staten42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    So after some phone calls I've tracked the last remaining DM lowers to R-Guns up north of Chicago. Anyone know if it's possible to make the trek up there to buy a few to try and save on the shipping, etc.legally? (sorry for the uninformed rookie questions!)

He has them for $65, which is a heck of a price, but that would get pushed to around $90/ea after shipping and transfers.

Last edited:

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    +1 for deleware machine, i have seen them for under $70 on the interweb

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    So after some phone calls I've tracked the last remaining DM lowers to R-Guns up north of Chicago. Anyone know if it's possible to make the trek up there to buy a few to try and save on the shipping, etc.legally? (sorry for the uninformed rookie questions!)

He has them for $65, which is a heck of a price, but that would get pushed to around $90/ea after shipping and transfers.

I wouldn't personally drive all the way up there for a lower. By the time you factor time and gas your are up to AT LEAST $100, and for that you can get the T15, spikes, or something similar.

As for the legality of bringing a lower back from IL to IN, I think you need to get it shipped to a FFL in IN for legal purposes. IANAL

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Ditto for what Aclark said, the DM stuff looks good compared to the others I've looked at but I haven't begun to build my 1st AR yet so my opinion like so many on this board are worth what you paid for them. I'm told (another opinion) that RRA LPKs are the way to go, IIRC Michiana had them for $60 or $70 with Hogue grip.

staten42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Ditto for what Aclark said, the DM stuff looks good compared to the others I've looked at but I haven't begun to build my 1st AR yet so my opinion like so many on this board are worth what you paid for them. I'm told (another opinion) that RRA LPKs are the way to go, IIRC Michiana had them for $60 or $70 with Hogue grip.

I talked to him a couple of days ago because I was told he may still have some of the DM lowers, but he didn't. He did mention that he had some RRA lowers, but didn't mention any prices. How long ago do you think he had them at that price?

staten42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    How do the Spikes lowers compare to the DM lowers? Any thoughts or opinions? I get a 5% discount from Spikes for being in the military, so I am obviously considering that!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    As far as I can tell without having one, but I have handled them, they are top notch. They come highly regarded from numerous people on this forum, and on many others. Cory (SSNFA) is a site supporter here, and will help you out with anything you need.

Top Bottom