• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    ok guys, i had a complete 22lr upper given to me and i was wanting to know what i needed to to make a complete lower.
    Do i buy a complete lower or do i build a complete lower?
    I would like to also get another upper of 7.62 or 5.56 down the road.

thanks for the help.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If you don't already have a lower, expect to overpay for one. For a .22LR upper, all you really need is a poly lower. If you can find one already built for under $200, don't hesitate to buy it.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Yes the poly lowers are rated, per the manufacturer, to handle any upper that can be put on an aluminum lower. As far as 7.62, are you talking 7.62x39 or 7.62x51? 39 yes, 51 no.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    There is also a good set of instructional videos at brownells.com. They have individual 1-2 minute videos for each part of the assembly process. I found them quite handy when I built mine!

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes the poly lowers are rated, per the manufacturer, to handle any upper that can be put on an aluminum lower. As far as 7.62, are you talking 7.62x39 or 7.62x51? 39 yes, 51 no.

I always send these links out as guides, but they'll also tell/show you everything you'll need to put one together.

Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions! - AR15.COM

:: Guides

There is also a good set of instructional videos at brownells.com. They have individual 1-2 minute videos for each part of the assembly process. I found them quite handy when I built mine!

thank you guys very much, alot of useful information.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    INGO build party coming up this month, weekend after the 1500 IIRC. At work on cell so I'm too busy/ lazy to post a link...

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_events/244757-ingo_ar15_build_party_1_27_2013_a.html

Basically all you need is the stripped lower, a lower parts kit, a stock with buffer tube, buffer and spring. Assembling it is very easy. If you don't feel comfortable doing it by yourself come to the build party linked above. There will be a lot of tools and experience to share with you. (FYI Bradis had 10 stripped lowers for $100 this morning.) You can get a complete lower but they can be rather salty.

SchwartzStock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Nice thing about the AR is you can do it yourself, no need for a gunsmith. The military has armorers aka parts changers to work on them.

SS

Top Bottom