• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So when we bought our van used (2007 town and country), it only had one key. One of the big transponder keys with integrated remote. We inquired about a new key, and was told that a new one was about $250. :faint: Needless to say we didnt buy one because that also didnt include the programming to pair it with our van.

After having to help a coworker break into his car to extract his ONE key that he accidentally locked in, it lit a fire under me to finally get a spare key that would at least unlock the doors via the mechanical tumblers. No transponders needed for that. Hell, my Saturn with a transponder even came with a wallet insert that would unlock the doors!

So I went to Lowes and told them I needed a key made. I was upfront and told them I understood its a transponder and only needed it to unlock the doors mechanically. I was told thats impossible, I still need a transponder. I reassured them that no, its all mechanical just like it has been for decades, and a transponder was not a requirement to manually engage a bar and move a lever inside the vehicle by turning my wrist. Then they said "well, we cant copy that for you. Its corporate policy NOT to make valet keys." I was annoyed at this point. So I asked to speak to the store manager. He pointed to the front desk and said I could find the MOD up there to get rid of me. "and besides, we cant make a key if we dont have a blank." By this time I'm done. So which is it? Company policy that you WONT, or physical impossibility because you CANT? As far as I can tell, its a standard Chrysler blank. looks just like my Neon key (without transponder) did. If you dont have the blanks, thats fine. But dont tell me you wont due to a stupid policy.

So anyone know a place that WILL make a "dumb" key capable of only operating the mechanical door tumbler lock? I dont want to drive the van or pop the locks from across the lot. I just want to be able to extract the keys if they ever get locked inside without having to call (and pay for) a locksmith.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I think they are full of :poop:. I took the key for a 2013 4Runner to Wal-marx and had a door key made. Cost about 2 bucks and works fine. Won't start the engine but works on everything else.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    At a lot of Lowe's stores they have little vending machine looking things called Minute Key. I think it's a dollar and it should be capable of making a key that will operate the locks.

bucktowner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2014
    bloomington
    If you are ever in the Bloomington area, Kleindorfers hardware will fix you up. They have made several keys for me that will open the door, but not work the ignition (no chip).

Recently, I bought a chipped blank key on amazon with instructions on how to program it after it was cut. I took it to kleindorfers, and they cut it, and then I learned that they now have the ability to sell and program keys for about the same price as my amazon key.

So whatever you want, they can do it. At a 1/10 of the cost from the stealership. Call ahead to check on pricing and availability if it's a long drive for you (call early before they get busy). 812-332-0487

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Try Ace Hardware. The one I go to (Carmel) will even encode a transponder one for my Ford Exclamation for $30 or $70 depending which model it takes. They don't mind getting into it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Our local locksmith can make chipped keys, and they're about $100 cheaper than the dealership.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Possible, but you should visit an ACE Hardware or another non-BigBox store. They're into cutting keys and not as concerned with the policy and rules.
    Some of the stores will even have transponder keys (not the remote-keys though), but as you discovered Chrysler doesn't program the keys, but rather the Sentry module on the car reads the key to be stored. If you find the car in the shop for some other reason, you should be able to add a new key for free with a friendly tech. Once you have TWO working keys, you can add more yourself.

FYI, that key may trip the alarm when used, but it will still unlock the doors/liftgate. Hell, it'll even let you unlock the steering and turn on the radio just not start the car.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks guys. I'll try some of the smaller places. There is an ACE up the street from me. I didnt try the machines (lowes has one too) because they too have the sensors and can detect a transponder. I can see them saying no too because the two keys would not be 100% identical in function.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Everyone who said Ace Hardware is correct. I currently work at an Ace and cut keys everyday. A mechanical key for the doors and trunk should only cost you $4-$5.

Anywhere that tells you this cannot be done, is a good place not to shop again IMO.

Locksmith or Ace Hardware /thread

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For my Ford, I had someone else make the key, then the dealer programmed it. I found out you can program keys yourself if you have at least two working keys.

Anyways, yes, Lowes pretty much blows.

Top Bottom