Need a storm shelter put in, anyone have any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Not sure why this isn't standard in Indiana, seems like there have been bad storms every year since I moved here! Living in suburbia I don't have many options, and the house doesn't have a basement. I'm thinking about doing one of those "dig a hole and drop it in" type of shelters. They were uber popular back home w/ the high water tables but don't know the process for doing it in Indiana...or a good contractor. Any suggestions?:dunno:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Not sure why this isn't standard in Indiana, seems like there have been bad storms every year since I moved here! Living in suburbia I don't have many options, and the house doesn't have a basement. I'm thinking about doing one of those "dig a hole and drop it in" type of shelters. They were uber popular back home w/ the high water tables but don't know the process for doing it in Indiana...or a good contractor. Any suggestions?:dunno:
    That's one thing I haven't seen here in Indiana. that I've seen down south. No Storm Shelter dealers. The dig a hole and drop it in shelters are pretty popular in the South. Can't figure out why they're not up here. That's a route I'd love to go, if there were a dealer somewhere near.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Having seen what an EF5 can do I would definitely put it in the ground. I wouldn't want to be the crash test dummy for one of those above ground ones that took a direct EF5 hit. I'm sure they can be built to withstand it but why tempt fate?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

I moved here from Kansas, and when I was looking at houses, I told the realtor it HAD to have a basement. Period.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Having seen what an EF5 can do I would definitely put it in the ground. I wouldn't want to be the crash test dummy for one of those above ground ones that took a direct EF5 hit. I'm sure they can be built to withstand it but why tempt fate?

The lab school for elementary kids at the UN of Kansas, has round SILO coatrooms between every two classrooms. They are designed to withstand an EF5 tornado.

In the 3 years I lived there, the town was hit twice, though not badly. One of the neighboring towns (Tonganoxie) didn't fare so well, hit twice in same spot one year apart....and hit hard.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The basement, by itself, is dangerous. The house is brought down on top of it.
    You need to strengthen one area of it.

I built an icf home with a safe room in the basement. This one withstood an f4 tornado and everything else around it was destroyed.

Picture Gallery - ICF Development
    Tornado.png

Top Bottom