• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robert1994

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Elkhart in
    Hey, where would you guys go to get a good shotgun? under $250... (for deer so 20ga) :ar15:Thanks
    Is New England a good brand? gander mountain has them for $220
    New England

Last edited:

sptland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Howe, IN
    New England or H&R makes a good gun for the $$$! My kids deer hunt w/an H&R and haven't missed yet!! 8 & 11 yrs old! -- I won't say the same for me an my remington! LOL!! Oh - and to answer your question - there is a place up in goshen - I believe about a block outside of the town square to the east - I haven't been there so I don't know the name - but I hear they have pretty good pricing.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Mossberg 54310 is a really nice 20 gauge deer gun. I have the 55100 which is the same gun, but in 12 gauge. They can be had for a touch less then $300 if you shop around. I ordered mine from 111 Guns in Clarksville for $309 plus tax.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    H&R slug guns are really accurate and fairly cheap, but I bought a mossberg 500 20 gauge with a fully rifled barrel and scope for $250 and have never had an issue with it, bradis might have some, I know the golden nugget pawn shop in Hope had a few slug guns when I went down there yesterday

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I have hunted with a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870SP both 12ga and both had rifled barrels with scopes on them. They both performed well enough for deer hunting in Indiana but I was always looking for something that was more of a tack driver ...something that would shoot very tight groups out to 100 yards. I now hunt with a H&R 20ga. that has a very heavy barrel probably the size of a 12ga or 10ga barrel that is bored to 20ga. I have a leupold VariXIII scope on it. It is the best tack driver I have found to date. I shoot lightfield 2 3/4" sabots. This is how I sighted my gun in. At 25 yards..I want it close to dead on or no more than 1/2" low...if you do this you will be about a 1 1/2" high at 50 yards and dead on at 100yds. I can keep my groups within the size of a golf ball at 100yds. For the type of terrian that I hunt most of my shots will be less than 100yds. I have only shot it a few times out at 150yds and had a 3 1/2" to 4" drop. I believe the balistics of the 20ga ( being a lighter slug) shoots flatter than a 12ga. You do lose some impact energy (not sure that is the correct term) shooting a 20ga over a 12ga but shot placement is more important.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    nef is owned by remington i have a pardner pump with 28 inch field barrel that i use for trap and have no issues with it. they are good to go:rockwoot:

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana

I too would look for a good used pump. I have a mossy 500 in a 20 guage with a cantilever slug barrel, and a 12 guage 870 with the cantilever rifled barrel also. Both love the lightfield slugs. I primarily use the 870, feels more solid, but I think the 500 is a little more accurate. Never had problems with either one though. Like others, I have heard good things about the New England slug guns.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I heard that H&R guns have had a problem with the barrel blowing up?

I saw a peanut stand, heard a rubber band,
    I saw a needle that winked its eye.

I saw a front porch swing, heard a diamond ring,
    I saw a polka-dot railroad tie.

I seen a clothes horse, he r'ar up and buck
    And they tell me that a man made a vegetable truck
    I didn't see that, I only heard
    But just to be sociable I'll take your word

You can't believe every thing you hear.

Last edited:

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    You could probably get a used 870 or mossy for that kind of money if you shop around.

This is what I was going to write.

I saw a peanut stand, heard a rubber band,
    I saw a needle that winked its eye.

I saw a front porch swing, heard a diamond ring,
    I saw a polka-dot railroad tie.

I seen a clothes horse, he r'ar up and buck
    And they tell me that a man made a vegetable truck
    I didn't see that, I only heard
    But just to be sociable I'll take your word

You can't believe every thing you hear.

Nice....umm..... poem... Jack :n00b:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    there is no way i would pay 220 for a newengland shotgun. i think there was one on here for 90 bucks not long ago.for 220 get a 870 or 500. decide where you like the safty and weather you need a exta round

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    I paid around $200 for my H&R Ultra 12 ga. Its a heavy gun (8 lbs), but with the heavy barrel I wouldn't be afraid to take 150 yard shot. I've also hunted with a 870, 1100, and 1187 remington, and my H&R is the most accurate of them. For the money you can't go wrong. You'll just have to get over only having one shot.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    This is what I was going to write.

Nice....umm..... poem... Jack :n00b:

You must not have kids you would hear Jumbo singing that by now.

It's one of those stuck in your head now moments for me when I hear or read somethinng silly starting with "I heard..." . Some times even a "somebody said..." will set it off.

Top Bottom