• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    I have been looking at a few guns, but I am intrested mostly in the Springfield XDM .45

Love the look and feel, and my brother in law shot a 9mm version for a competetion and loved it.

I also have recently shot my father-in-laws Sig p220 .45 and FELL IN LOVE!

I know the price point is different between the two, but as far as a carry gun (not concerned with size) and def shooting it at the range etc.

THoughts?

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    I have a taurus 24/7 .40 I carry now, and I have a blackhawk holster I use in the paddle form. I do need to get a good belt thou as my cheap retail store belts keep getting destroyed...

iSaladbar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I am a small framed guy and I used to carry a 1911 but it was just too big for my taste. If you are liking the XDM, you could also look into the M&P line. They are great guns. and come in all the calibers. compact or full size. They are just a little more ergonomic IMO

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The SIG P220 is one of the few pistols in .45ACP that can hold a candle to the 1911, in my opinion. I don't think there is anything wrong with the Springfield XDM (or the Glock, or the S&W M&P, for that matter), but I'd go with the 1911 (which is my primary), or if it really does call to you, the SIG (a P228 is my secondary). Life is too short to not own a 1911 and a SIG.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I have been looking at a few guns, but I am intrested mostly in the Springfield XDM .45

...I also have recently shot my father-in-laws Sig p220 .45 ...

... but as far as a carry gun (not concerned with size) and def shooting it at the range etc. ...

Another significant difference between the two is that the XDM carries 5 more rounds than the P220, or 55-62% more payload. Not something to be taken for granted in a carry/defensive handgun. I can think of several real-life situations where the first one out of ammo lost. Don't be that guy.

BUT, people buy guns for different reasons. Are you looking for more of a tool, or a gun that you can love and take pride in? What do you really want? What do you really want it for?

Maybe that will help you decide. Both are fine guns.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    If you like the Springfield and you are comfortable when shooting it then maybe that's what you should go with. I tried one and didn't care for it much. Gotta try the Smith M&P series before buying anything.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i'm a huge glock fan. that said, all that pretravel in the trigger makes it a ***** to get used to. however, once you do, no pistol ever feels the same. a glock is the only weapon that's ever felt like an 'extension" i know every shape, sound, and feel of any of mine.

tho, i'm sure anyone could say that of the firearm they've trained with the most.
    just my .02

JeepArn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Avon
    I have a XDM .45 compact that I carry. Love the gun, ease of carry and especially the way it shoots. I use a not so sturdy belt but with a cross breed super tuck holster and it goes unnoticed. Wouldn't object to a compact or mid sized 1911 but haven't found one I liked enough to come off the $'s for it. Hence the XDm at a rather affordable rate (ESP if you look around a bit and buy it used). Just my:twocents:

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I've enjoyed my XD .40, but it's getting to big, or just that I've gotten older and like the feel of a 9mm. While I love my Colt 45, it's a classic, beloved however, it's over rated. There are lots of choices now, and the use of composite material really adds to the list of wants. I say it comes down to fit and feel. I'm really looking at Sigs P250, or Berretta PX4 STORM.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I carry a sig P220 as my duty gun. You can find my review here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_real_world_reviews/243234-review_sig_p220r.html

If you get one, get the short reset trigger. Its fantastic.

I've never felt the need for the big capacity guns to feel well armed. 1911s and revolvers have served us for at least a century, I can get by with 9 in the gun and 10 round mags as spares.

I also feel better with a metal gun. It just feels better in my hand and the heft is reassuring to my mind, plus the weight sucks up recoil better.

Top Bottom