• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I know you said .45acp only, but I'm going to throw this out there for you. I have always been a .45 guy. I hate the feel of Glocks, and love the feel of .45 recoil. I never understood why people said it was too much. I usually carry a Springfield XD45c with the 10 round mag and 4" barrel. In the summer when I wore t-shirts, it would either print or slip out of my shirt. I'm 20 years old, so I get a lot of horrified looks. So I decided to change it up so it didn't become visible. I like larger calibers, so I bought a Ruger sp101. It's a snubnose, but still has large grips. It is 5 rounds of .357magnum. Conceals amazingly, deadly accurtate, the recoil is very manageable, and will get the job done if I ever have to use it. Just an option if you can rent one to try out.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    For me I think if I really liked the XDm full size then I would look at a XDm Compact for CC but I understand the width issue. You said you didn't like Kahr's for being to "plasticky" but Kahr also makes models in all steel (not in .45 though). Here is a link to a stainless steel Kahr .40 that looks to be pretty compact and thin.

Kahr K40 - Style # K4043, Kahr Arms Pistols

I have shot a buddy's XDS and thought it was a pretty sweet shooter, the suggestion of getting some Hogue grip sleeves might tame the aggressive grip texture that you don't like.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    If you have a gun you love and works well for you, stick with it and get a good holster. I carry a Glock 26, 27 and 30 in a crossbreed supertuck. You can adjust the height, and it doesnt print any more than any other gun with an untucked T-Shirt. I have also heard good things about the CompTac Monitor IWB holster. Both of these holster companies will be at the NRA show this weekend.
    I know people who carry full size 1911's and glock 17's with no major printing issues. I think the holster might be you solution.:twocents:

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    If you have a gun you love and works well for you, stick with it and get a good holster. I carry a Glock 26, 27 and 30 in a crossbreed supertuck. You can adjust the height, and it doesnt print any more than any other gun with an untucked T-Shirt. I have also heard good things about the CompTac Monitor IWB holster. Both of these holster companies will be at the NRA show this weekend.
    I know people who carry full size 1911's and glock 17's with no major printing issues. I think the holster might be you solution.:twocents:

^^I'll second this...

I carry a Glock 22 in a CompTac Minotaur (not sure what model a Monitor is :):) all day everyday. The only time i print is in fitted t-shirts or when im wearing a regular fitting tshirt and bend over (button up shirts or flannels are no problem)...but the only part that ever prints is grip, so i could easily hide a 23/27 no problem. That being said, Im 6'-5" and around 220lbs so my experience my vary from yours. :dunno:

If you are familiar and comfortable with the firearm you currently carry, Id suggest searching for the right holster/belt combo before the right replacement EDC.....unless you're just making excuses to validate buying a new gun....that i completely understand :yesway:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

I couldn't have said it better myself. I carry a full size 1911 and it conceals great WITH THE RIGHT HOLSTER.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have a few different holsters I've tried for my XDM, and I have an Incog on it's way to give that a shot. One of the biggest problems for me is that the 4.5 XDM is a bastard sized weapon and almost no one that I'm interested in will make a holster for it. I really wanted to give the Comptac Mtac hybrid a try because I've heard so many good things but that's no dice. As well as most others I've found. It's just an odd size/shape apparently. I do have a nice belt though for when i carry OWB. Thanks.

Its not an Mtac, but very similar, and they have a great reputation for quality.

SuperTuck® Deluxe | CrossBreed® Holsters - SuperTuck® Deluxe

I have tried a few holsters of this style (different brands though) and had great results concealing 1911s, Hi-Powers, Beretta 92s, ect... I have used this same setup with as little as a tank top and a pair of shorts and not had anyone the wiser.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Rockhopper- I think you might be right about the new agent. I think the barrel might be a little short for that caliber. I feel like that was my biggest issue for

dmarsh- The more I think about it, the more I like that option. But I know I'll kick myself if I don't pursue other options and at least listen to the options that other people provide.

mrjarrell- I completely wasn't thinking about revolvers... I've been on a semi auto kick and hadn't even thought about them. But honestly, if you are getting that small and losing capacity, why not look. That makes good sense. Thanks.

I know I'm sounding *****y, but I'm just trying to find the right weapon and weigh my pros and cons.

Understood, I take my time when I purchase a new one too. Maybe you would be good with the XDS 45. with a Rubber talon grip on it?:dunno:
    I'm sure they will eventually have the 4.0 in .45 also.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Don't worry about "printing".
    Remember, people are stupid. They don't pay attention, and if they did they would think it was a cell phone or something.
    If they were concise enough to know you had a handgun, they are probably another "gun person" and would probably applaud you.
    I carry a Glock 23 IWB with a t-shirt and it's fine.

Pmpkn8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Pendleton Area
    Comp-tac is ridiculous. The XDM is a very popular model of .45. They don't offer the Minotaur in ANY shape or form for it. I was used to that with the 4.5" barrel. They gave me some excuses about it not being that popular, and if I really wanted it, I'd have to spend about $3500 for the R&D to get them to have the right molds and everything. Really?

I'm over them.

I've been eyeballing the crossbreed holster for a while, but my concern was a full sized pistol in a half sleeve kydex sheath, and having the pistol being pushed out of the holster.

And the more I think about it, the more I feel like I'll probably end up going with the XDM 3.8". It's smaller and will fit in the holsters I already have. I'm familiar with the weapon already and if it shoots anything like the 4.5 barrel, I can retire my 4.5 to just target duty. Plus I really like the XDM trigger. Another plus that I was thinking about today is that I wouldn't be shifting from semi auto to a revolver and confusing muscle memory or learning new techniques.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Comp-tac is ridiculous. The XDM is a very popular model of .45. They don't offer the Minotaur in ANY shape or form for it. I was used to that with the 4.5" barrel. They gave me some excuses about it not being that popular, and if I really wanted it, I'd have to spend about $3500 for the R&D to get them to have the right molds and everything. Really?

I'm over them.

I've been eyeballing the crossbreed holster for a while, but my concern was a full sized pistol in a half sleeve kydex sheath, and having the pistol being pushed out of the holster.

And the more I think about it, the more I feel like I'll probably end up going with the XDM 3.8". It's smaller and will fit in the holsters I already have. I'm familiar with the weapon already and if it shoots anything like the 4.5 barrel, I can retire my 4.5 to just target duty. Plus I really like the XDM trigger. Another plus that I was thinking about today is that I wouldn't be shifting from semi auto to a revolver and confusing muscle memory or learning new techniques.

If the half kydex is a concern to you, check out Henry Hybrid Holsters...he makes a 2-double sided kydex "sleeve" on a leather backing. He's a member here (View Profile: amhenry - INGunOwners) and while ive never used his product, others that have give it :yesway::yesway:...if you like what you see, shoot him a PM and see what he can do for you

Here's his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HenryHolsters

A review done by the one and only esrice https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...review-henry-holsters-hybrid-iwb-holster.html

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN

I'm over them.

While I will admit that it isnt as secure as a Fobus holster, Both the Galco and DeSantis holsters I have had were more than secure enough to keep the pistol in them. The Galco was probably the loosest fit, and even in an officers sized holster, it will hold a Government size 1911 upside down out of the belt/pants. Figure the XDm is going to be much less generic in size (not nearly as many different slide release/safety combinations to accommodate for) and that it is a good bit lighter that a steel framed full size pistol, I cant imagine that it wouldnt be more than secure enough for all but the most acrobatic of users.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    WTS: Sig Sauer C3 commander 1911 in our For Sales - pay the $10 & become a site sponsor to have rights in the For Sales before having 50 "quality" posts

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu

I'm over them.

See, that wasn't so hard :):.

Pmpkn8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Pendleton Area
    See, that wasn't so hard :):.

Yeah yeah yeah. We'll see. I still need to get one in my hands. Which means probably having to run somewhere else to see about a rental. I know Highsmith doesn't have one.

I did check out the Henry Holsters. I shot him a message. Looks legit.

Last edited:

Pmpkn8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Pendleton Area
    FWIW if anyone was curious or cared, I went back to Highsmith and did end up buying the XDM 3.8" in .45. The XDM just shoots too well, and has too many pro's to not be viable. I'll probably still buy the XDS down the road... but I'm happy for now.

Top Bottom