• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pmpkn8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Pendleton Area
    Hello! I'm fairly new to the forum, and met a few of you folks at a couple of the 1500's. I'm hoping for some advice.

I'm new to carrying in the civilian world. I have 15 years of military service, and if not carrying open tactical, I've carried concealed with a shoulder rig. Now that summer is here I'd like to carry IWB but I feel like my weapon of choice is forcing me to print a bit more than I want to.

I currently carry an XDM 4.5 in .45 ACP (and there's really nothing about it I don't love aside from summer CC). In the winter/fall I carry in a highnoon shoulder rig or carry OWB in another highnoon setup. But as it's getting warmer I find it's a bit harder to carry the way I have been. I dress accordingly for my wear, and don't have a problem buying clothes around the situation, but in this instance it's getting to be a bit much. I feel like I'm wearing shirts that are far too large and it just doesn't look right. I'm not against buying another weapon if need be, so I'm looking for options. Now that you know what I'm most familiar with.

What I want is a .45 ACP with as many rounds as possible, as slim as possible, whatever that may be. With what I've been shooting, and renting, I am pretty confident that I need to be looking at a single stack,

I'm NOT a Glock guy. I don't like how they feel in my hand. And I didn't care for the ones I've shot.

I've shot an XDS .45, and I liked everything about it aside from just how aggressive the grip was, and how tight I could get the group with some rapid fire drills. I put about 200 rounds through one. I believe it's a matter of barrel length keeping me from really keeping it tight. I could keep it all in the target, but it wasn't consistent enough for me to be happy.

I've seen and handled a Kahr (don't remember which but it was .45 and was meant for concealed carry), but it seemed TOO plasticky... too cheap. The slide was ridiculously rough to release.

After handling one, my mind keeps telling me to just buy a SIG 227 carry, but the overall dimensions aren't much different than my current XDM, so I wouldn't be much better off than I am now. Yes I know it's a double stack, but I still tried that too.

So with what I've tried, I'm thinking something single stack with a 4" barrel. My biggest issue for printing seems to be with width of the grip. Anyone have any educated suggestions? Thanks in advance.

James

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    There are some great 1911 Officer frame / Commander barrel combos being offered by different manufacturers. Sig & Wilson to name a few...

I am probably more fluffy than you, but knowing basic stats can help with other carry / firearms suggestions.

With that, I typically carry a Commander 1911 or XD9 4-INCH in a Comp-Tac Infidel w body clip & add the C-Tac Strut for two points of contact / stability in around the 4 o'clock & utilize a 2nd layer cover shirt unbuttoned to allow access.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    When I'm carrying my EDC in .45 (a Taurus MilPro), I print like the dickens. Doesn't bother me at all. It's my homage to open carry. I just don't sweat it. In the summer I wear Hawaiian style shirts that have a bit of billow to them so no-one really notices, as far as I can tell. This is not Texas, printing is not illegal and most folks will never even notice if you do. Heck, I see folks open carrying and it's not a big deal for the majority of people, (well, except for the guy that was in Walmart once with the big old hogleg strapped into his cowboy rig, slung low. Everyone noticed that and most laughed at him). Don't sweat printing, unless you're carrying at work and it would be an issue. Then you might think about a much smaller calibre.

Pmpkn8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Pendleton Area
    I don't know how I forgot to mention it earlier but I'm very specifically interested in something that's .45 acp and no smaller. That's non-negotiable. I'm simply not interested in smaller calibers.

For what it's worth... I'm 5'6", 210 lbs with a little bit of a gut, and I do not have large hands. With a Pearce grip extention on the bottom of an XDS 5rnd mag I have a little wiggle room.

I've shot some 1911's but only full size models. I didn't mind them. I just didn't care for the how large of a frame they are, and extra material hanging off the back end. That beaver tail seems like it would be a pain to deal with. I know all that can be trimmed but that's extra $ to get it "right", when I'd like to have something closer right out of the box. If I could zap my XDM with a shrink ray I would. It's the best shooting, smoothest trigger most ergonomic and accurate weapon I've handled right out of the box.

As for "not caring"... thanks for the advice, but I'd rather not print than not care. I don't open carry for a reason. I know you can't avoid ALL printing, but I do my best.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I carry an M&P 45c in a Comp-Tac MTAC. Not a single stack, but conceals well with the small backstrap and flat base plate mag. I put the Apex FSS and a set of Ameriglo CAP sights on it. Probably not much smaller than your XDm compact, though.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'll suggest an M&P .45c. 4" barrel with a shorter, compact grip. I'm pretty sure it's still a double stack, I think they are 8 round magazines. I have a full size with a 4 1/2" barrel, the grip really isn't that wide, and I don't have overly large hands.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I don't know how I forgot to mention it earlier but I'm very specifically interested in something that's .45 acp and no smaller. That's non-negotiable. I'm simply not interested in smaller calibers.

For what it's worth... I'm 5'6", 210 lbs with a little bit of a gut, and I do not have large hands. With a Pearce grip extention on the bottom of an XDS 5rnd mag I have a little wiggle room.

I've shot some 1911's but only full size models. I didn't mind them. I just didn't care for the how large of a frame they are, and extra material hanging off the back end. That beaver tail seems like it would be a pain to deal with. I know all that can be trimmed but that's extra $ to get it "right", when I'd like to have something closer right out of the box. If I could zap my XDM with a shrink ray I would. It's the best shooting, smoothest trigger most ergonomic and accurate weapon I've handled right out of the box.

As for "not caring"... thanks for the advice, but I'd rather not print than not care. I don't open carry for a reason. I know you can't avoid ALL printing, but I do my best.

Sounds like you need the same gun you have but the 3.8 Compact XDM version with the proper holster. Sorry
    I mentioned outside .45 cal...I just was kind of scanning too fast the first time i read your OP.

I went from EDCing the full size grip 3.8 to xds. The length of the grip is what normally causes printing.
    I don't feel like the thickness of the 3.8 really made that much difference. Honestly, I prefer the feel of the
    XDM 3.8 over the XDS but I have no problems shooting the S so I'm sticking with it for now.

Pmpkn8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Pendleton Area
    You know, I rented and shot a full size one of those M&P's this weekend and I REALLY liked how that thing felt in my hand. The grip on that, and the way the trigger wrapped around my finger felt amazing. I put two mags through it to get a feel and the sights were so far off it was ridiculous. I was so enamored by how it felt in my hand, I didn't bother to physically feel the sights. When my dad took his turn with it, he grabbed them and could push them back and forth. I gave up on it after that. So I took it back and I went back and rented the XDS... again.

I've been looking at Kimber, but they are pretty expensive, and I've not seen any for rent anywhere. I'd like to shoot one if I'm going to spend that kind of money.

I keep looking at the 3.8 XDM too. It's no slimmer, but with an inch less in length and height I might make up for the width. Plus I'd probably be able to use most of my holsters still. I don't know. I just feel like I've been looking forever and it's getting really frustrating.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I don't recommend it over one with a nice carry beavertail, but an old school Officer or Commander 1911 with the short flat tang grip safety is going to absolutely be the slimmest single stack .45ACP you're going to find.

Maybe a Colt New Agent (there is one in the Classifieds if you want to see it) might be an option. That's too short a barrel on a 1911 for me, but it might suit you.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    You know, I rented and shot a full size one of those M&P's this weekend and I REALLY liked how that thing felt in my hand. The grip on that, and the way the trigger wrapped around my finger felt amazing. I put two mags through it to get a feel and the sights were so far off it was ridiculous. I was so enamored by how it felt in my hand, I didn't bother to physically feel the sights. When my dad took his turn with it, he grabbed them and could push them back and forth. I gave up on it after that. So I took it back and I went back and rented the XDS... again.

I've been looking at Kimber, but they are pretty expensive, and I've not seen any for rent anywhere. I'd like to shoot one if I'm going to spend that kind of money.

I keep looking at the 3.8 XDM too. It's no slimmer, but with an inch less in length and height I might make up for the width. Plus I'd probably be able to use most of my holsters still. I don't know. I just feel like I've been looking forever and it's getting really frustrating.
    Familiarity with the XDM is the other thing I forgot to mention....

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    You mentioned that the grip on the XDs is too "aggressive". Have you tried a Pachmyer grip sleeve on it? I have one on my XDs and it makes the grip very comfortable. And if the grip is comfortable, maybe that will improve your accuracy with the XDs.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    After handling one, my mind keeps telling me to just buy a SIG 227 carry, but the overall dimensions aren't much different than my current XDM, so I wouldn't be much better off than I am now.

P220 Carry? Same gun, except single stack. I carry a full sized P220 regularly with no issues.

Pmpkn8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Pendleton Area
    Rockhopper- I think you might be right about the new agent. I think the barrel might be a little short for that caliber. I feel like that was my biggest issue for

dmarsh- The more I think about it, the more I like that option. But I know I'll kick myself if I don't pursue other options and at least listen to the options that other people provide.

mrjarrell- I completely wasn't thinking about revolvers... I've been on a semi auto kick and hadn't even thought about them. But honestly, if you are getting that small and losing capacity, why not look. That makes good sense. Thanks.

I know I'm sounding *****y, but I'm just trying to find the right weapon and weigh my pros and cons.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I agree with an earlier post, look at the MP45. Nicest shooting small .45 I have tried.

Me, I just carry a .38spl revolver in a pocket holster and call it good.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Has to be a .45, prefer a more slim profile than your XD, dont want to give up much in the way of capacity...

Sounds like you are asking for a 1911. If the beaver tail is what is holding you back, there are lots of options for then in many factory pistols. You like Sigs, from what I have read, might be worth looking into the P220 line as well. Both are excellent places to start.

Honestly, if it were me, and I already had a carry gun that I was happy with, I would look into a different holster setup, and figure out a way to keep what is familiar with me. Several companies make a good hybrid style holster for the XD line, and a heavy gun belt to keep things where they belong will go a long way in keeping an IWB pistol discrete.
    If money isnt an issue, all kinda ways to go, but the cheapest route, IMHO, would be to find a more accommodating way to keep your good friend with you throughout the summer months too.

Pmpkn8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Pendleton Area
    Has to be a .45, prefer a more slim profile than your XD, dont want to give up much in the way of capacity...

Sounds like you are asking for a 1911. If the beaver tail is what is holding you back, there are lots of options for then in many factory pistols. You like Sigs, from what I have read, might be worth looking into the P220 line as well. Both are excellent places to start.

Honestly, if it were me, and I already had a carry gun that I was happy with, I would look into a different holster setup, and figure out a way to keep what is familiar with me. Several companies make a good hybrid style holster for the XD line, and a heavy gun belt to keep things where they belong will go a long way in keeping an IWB pistol discrete.
    If money isnt an issue, all kinda ways to go, but the cheapest route, IMHO, would be to find a more accommodating way to keep your good friend with you throughout the summer months too.

I have a few different holsters I've tried for my XDM, and I have an Incog on it's way to give that a shot. One of the biggest problems for me is that the 4.5 XDM is a bastard sized weapon and almost no one that I'm interested in will make a holster for it. I really wanted to give the Comptac Mtac hybrid a try because I've heard so many good things but that's no dice. As well as most others I've found. It's just an odd size/shape apparently. I do have a nice belt though for when i carry OWB. Thanks.

Top Bottom