• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    I have had a strong desire for some homemade lasagna for a while now. I know that most of you here enjoy good food and know your way around a kitchen pretty well. I thought I would ask for your suggestions for a good lasagna recipe. Thanks.

grumpe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    whiteland
    Well, I could tell ya but I'd have to kill ya! :laugh::D:bs:
    If you would like I have a recipe to use, just pm me. It's a lot of work, homemade, but very good. Hope ya like cheese!

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Lasagna

Ingredients

• <LI class=ingredient>2 tablespoons olive oil <LI class=ingredient>1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion) <LI class=ingredient>2 garlic cloves, minced <LI class=ingredient>1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed <LI class=ingredient>1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree <LI class=ingredient>1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste <LI class=ingredient>1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided <LI class=ingredient>1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves <LI class=ingredient>2 teaspoons kosher salt <LI class=ingredient>3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper <LI class=ingredient>1/2 pound lasagna noodles <LI class=ingredient>15 ounces ricotta cheese <LI class=ingredient>3 to 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled <LI class=ingredient>1 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling <LI class=ingredient>1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
    • 1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
    Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
    Heat the olive oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.
    Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water. Add the noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.
    In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
    Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one 1/3 of the sauce. Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    From my grandmother's kitchen. By far the best lasagna I have ever had, and I love me some Italian food. Takes awhile, but well worth it. If you want to double or triple the recipe, you can freeze it for a later time.

Cheese sauce:

• Melt 4 T butter in saucepan
    • Add 1 chopped onion
    • Add several chopped garlic cloves
    • Cook over low heat until onions and garlic are soft and transparent
    • Add 3 T flour to make the roux (a mixture of flour and fat that is cooked briefly and used as the thickening base of a sauce)
    • Add ¾ c. freshly grated parmesan cheese (sometimes I use a mixture of parmesan and romano or whatever I can find at the store
    • Slowly add 2 cups of milk (I use a blend of whole milk and ½ and ½ )
    • Cook on low heat, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken and comes to a boil – this takes a long time and your arm will get tired!

• Add 2 egg yolks – be sure to set your egg yolks out before starting the sauce so they come to room temperature – then when you are ready to add – first drop a little of the cheese sauce into the bowl of egg yolks and stir rapidly – so you do not cook the eggs when adding to the sauce – when you pour egg yolks into the sauce, again, stir like crazy with a whisk – so you don’t end up with chunks of cooked egg yolk in the sauce.
    • Return sauce to a boil for one minute – it should now be a very thick sauce

Meat Sauce for Lasagna:

• 1lb. meat (sausage, ground beef, veal, whatever your favorite)
    • 1 white onion, chopped
    • garlic cloves (as many as you like), minced
    • tomato paste
    • 1 can (28oz.) crushed tomatoes
    • dried herbs (I use an Italian blend) basil, oregano, etc.

• Sweat onion in large dutch oven with olive oil until translucent
    • Add garlic and meat
    • Cook until meat is browned
    • Drain, do not rinse.
    • Return to pot, and put healthy squeeze of tomato paste in bottom of pan
    • "Rust" the tomato paste and stir into meat/onion/garlic mixture
    • Add crushed tomatoes, fill up can with water and add to pot
    • Add dried herbs, cover and simmer.
    • Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickens (can remove/crack lid to help expedite this process).

Noodles:

• Prepare one box of lasagna noodles
    • I add a touch of olive oil and salt when cooking to prevent the noodles from sticking
    • Spread them out on wax or parchment paper to dry

Layer it Up!

• Rub some olive oil (just a little) in your baking pan – 9 x 13
    • Layer noodles, meat sauce, cheese sauce
    • Bake at 350 degrees for an hour or so – you may want to cover the edges with aluminum foil to prevent the noodles from getting crisp on the perimeter of the pan.

Tips:

• Make your noodles and meat sauce first and set aside
    • Cheese sauce takes a long time and needs your constant attention
    • When layering, you do not have to completely cover the noodles with meat and cheese – or you won’t have many layers
    • You can make this a day or two ahead and refrigerate – you may need to adjust your baking time up a little
    • Make sure your noodles are dry or you will have water in the bottom of your pan – soggy lasagna

Last edited:

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Italian Sausage Lasagna

Ingredients:
    1 pound bulk Italian sausage (remove casings)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes
    2 teaspoons dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 cans tomato paste (6 ounces each)
    10 ounces lasagna noodles (10 to 12 lasagna noodles)
    3 cups ricotta cheese
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded or thinly sliced

Preparation:
    Brown sausage slowly; drain off excess fat. Add garlic, tomatoes, basil, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and tomato paste. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, adding a little water if too thick. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling salted water according to package directions. In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Place a layer of noodles in bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or lasagna pan. Cover with a layer of mozzarella cheese then spoon 1/2 of ricotta mixture over mozzarella. Spoon 1/2 meat sauce over the cheese. Repeat layers. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in a 375° oven.
    Allow lasagna to set a few minutes before serving.

Top Bottom