• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chriscrystle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Central IA
    Just got my concealed permit and I need a new gun. Well I always need a new but now i have a reason. Anyway I really like the Springfield Xd's. I just can't decide between the regular XD, XDM, the sub-compact or the new XDM 3.8 inch. What do you guys think. I want something that is easy to conceal. Even though Permits here in IA are technically a license to carry (open or concealed) you will get your permit yanked if you open carry. Thanks Chris

Also was leaning toward 40 cal

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Just got my concealed permit and I need a new gun. Well I always need a new but now i have a reason. Anyway I really like the Springfield Xd's. I just can't decide between the regular XD, XDM, the sub-compact or the new XDM 3.8 inch. What do you guys think. I want something that is easy to conceal. Even though Permits here in IA are technically a license to carry (open or concealed) you will get your permit yanked if you open carry. Thanks Chris

I just got the XD 40 subcompact and I am a huge fan. It is light and very concealable. I have read where may people complain about the heavy slide, but with a full magazine, the weight is distributed pretty evenly. Also, the trigger pull is smooth and easy.

You have a lot to choose from, but I searched for a month. You will find what is good for you.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My buddy has a real nice XD 9mm and we were at about 30-40 yards shootin at cans and with the whole mag only missed maybe 2 or 3... My vote is YES on the Springfield XD. fine piece of machinery. Deffinately gives glock a run for their money

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I am a glock guy. I don't have anything against the XD, it just doesn't fit me or my grip style.

You should handle as many guns as possible and even shoot a few if you can.

rwbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    i can't get used to the looks of the XDM's i'd go with the standard XD or a GLOCK. just my :twocents:.

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    XDs are great guns. I have run approx 500 rds thru my XD 45c without any issues. It is my EDC in a Crossbreed ST. It disappears when I tuck in my shirt.

Try to handle as many different guns as you can and maybe even shoot some if you can rent them at the range or shoot a friends'.

Also,don't be surprised if you end up with a collection. Why stop at just one?

ccrum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    I am considering the sub compact 40 xd for concealed carry and home defense as well, but I want to make sure my wife will be able to manage the handgun if needed. Would the sub-compact xd be a good choice?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I am considering the sub compact 40 xd for concealed carry and home defense as well, but I want to make sure my wife will be able to manage the handgun if needed. Would the sub-compact xd be a good choice?

I have my XD for CC, only. I currently have a 1911 for home, but I'm looking for a shotgun for the house. If my wife has to shoot someone, I want them down after the first shot. Or, at least cleaning their drawers after they get back out the door or window they came in.

Z71Gunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Brownsburg, IN
    I prefer Glock19. My first handgun was an XD40 service model. I carried it in a fobus paddle holster for about a year. I then swicthed to a Glock 17 9mm. Carried that IWB for another year. I've finally settled with a Glock19 9mm because it's a little easier to conceal than the G17 and not has bulky/heavy as the XD40.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I too like the Xd, I would also give a consideration to the FN. They are about the same size, but the FN is lighter. If you do not mind a hammer with decocker only. Also I give another vote to the M&P series. As others have said though, really do your shopping. Take the time, and find what fits you the best. It's not something you want to rush.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I absolutely love my XD9 service model. I am fighting desperately to hang onto it. I fits my hand well and it very simple to operate. I wish parts were a little easier to come by but it probably wont break anyway. Any XD you get should serve you well.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I personally do not like the XDM at all. I like the original XD much more, but that is just me. Like many have already said, handle as many as you can and get what feels best to you. Good luck with your decision.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    A few years ago I had an XD and did like it...ultimately I ended up getting rid of it and buying a G19 instead, in part because accessories (including holsters, magazines, etc.) seemed pretty tough to find for the Springfield at the time.

Is that no longer the case? I seem to read a lot of posts from people with XDs now, and the ads are all over American Rifleman.

At any rate, I really like my Glock; it just seems to "feel right" in my hand, more so than was the case with the XD. Personal preference, that's all.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    If concealability is your number one concern, I would consider single stack magazine options. If you are going to carry inside the waistband for extended periods, you will learn quickly to appreciate the thin profile of single stack weapons.

Some of the higher quality single stacks would be the S&W 3913, Sig P239, Walther PPS or the new Taurus 709 slim. These are nice compact guns that are excellent daily carry weapons especially in the summer time. The Sig and Walther both are available in 9mm or .40. There is also a .40 version of the S&W 3913 called the 4013 but those are scarce enough on the market to not even consider I think.

Lastly in the world of single stacks and thin profiles, if money is no option, look at the Kimber Pro Carry II 9mm. IMHO, I don't think a single stack 9mm is capable of getting any more gorgeous than that :)

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    +1 to the XD sub compact. I carried a XD sc 9mm for the last year. It's pretty easy to hide and I love the capacity for a sub compact pistol. It is also about the only sub compact gun that I ever enjoyed shooting at the range.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN

Also was leaning toward 40 cal

OK, I will assume that you are a) getting an XD and b) that it will be a .40.

Given that, your selection will be driven by the fact that a gun that is easy to shoot well and a gun that is easy to conceal may not be the same gun.

Assuming each of your options have similar triggers, a gun that is easy to shoot well will have a full size grip and a long sight radius. A gun that is easy to conceal will have a short grip and short sight radius.

Your gun should be the best compromise of both factors for you. Buy the gun that has the longest grip and longest sight radius that you can still conceal under the sorts of clothes you normally wear.

I have recently dealt with this dilemma myself. I originally selected a compact 9 MM as my EDC gun. I ultimately realized that a) it was difficult to shoot well and b) I could carry something bigger and still conceal it under my normal clothes.

Thus, I swapped out my compact for a midsize. It still conceals just fine, it is easier to shoot, a better option for IDPA, fits in the same holster, carries more ammo and shoots the bullets at a higher velocity. Totally a win!

Anyway, that is my take on your situation. Good luck with your purchase.

Top Bottom