• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    I have a story I thought Id share. I live in the county. There are no houses that would allow someone to see my house.
    Wednesday I took my son to school then came home before I left for work. I dont always use my garage but on this day I did. I came inside and started doing some pre work on the computer. I had been home approx. a hour which made it roughly 9 am. I thought I heard a faint knock on the front door which opens to the living room where I was sitting. My new pup also thought she heard the noise. Some seconds later another faint knock. Remember my car was in the garage and the TV was not on. I peeked out the window to look at the drive way and a small blue 4 door car was parked with a girl behind the wheel and a guy in the back passenger side. I had a strong suspicion these 3 people were up to no good.
    I sat back down on my couch with .45 in hand and thought about my options. My first thought was wait and not answer the door. If it gets kicked in someone is going to have a very bad day. Then I thought "what if they are just scouting today and come back another day when I have not come back home before heading out for work." So this second thought prompted me to answer the door. So I answered the door,with gun on hip, after looking out the decorative glass on my front door and deciding this guy was not armed that I could see.
    The guy at the door was dressed in dirty old clothes, had a beard which was not well kept, and was probably in this late 20's to early 30's. I am 37. He made up some story about needing directions to highway 35. I assertively told him to keep heading straight down the road. He walked off my porch, got in the car and they left. I tried to get the plate number but couldnt see it.

At Thanksgiving dinner my Dad told my cousin-in-law, who is the police chief in the city, my story. He told my dad he wished I would have held them the police have been looking for these bums for a couple weeks.

As I recount the incident in my head I think of so many things I wish I would have done different. Never the less I thought this is a good pro 2nd amendment story.
    Thanks for reading. I would like to hear how you would have handled the situation.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    The issue is a judgement call only you can make and at the time. We also live on a dead end street, rural, closest neighbor about a 1/4 mile away. Red flags were going off, you caught them, and survived. We have had church people, out of work people, hunters asking to hunt, none of which I know or have seen before. It isn't out of fear that I answer the door with my S&W M10 Service Revolver, held low and behind my back. I can't expect my neighbors to assist in my security, although they are observant, and would call 911 if needed. Response time can be 10-15 mins, so you need to help yourself if needed.
    Asking for directions, to use a phone, or etc. seems pretty simple, but is a sure way to become a victim if not careful. I would not attempt to detain anyone, unless you had the training, and resources to do so. Better to be a strong witness, and keep your cell phone handy, on your belt. Stay alive. You did well.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I probably would not have answered the door. I'm not critiquing what you did; I just have determined that I have no reason to answer my door unless I'm expecting someone.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Gun on your hip? Seriously, just put a sign out side next time that says you have guns in the house (if you were carrying open). Keep concealed if at all possible.

Next time walk out there and get the plate number if possible. You just got cased and let the people go without so much as a hassle.

Hell get HD video of everyone of them and give it over to the police/sheriff's office. They are on your property.

Make them think you are nuts and will give them trouble. If you are going to answer the door don't be Mr. Nice guy victim, then they'll surely return.

Just remember these are the people that want to break into your house and steal your possessions. Don't take it lightly or give them benefit of the doubt. You sensed right when you thought they were up to no good.

Last edited:

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    I answered the door just to show them some one could be home even though no cars were present in the driveway.
    I know there is not way I could have detained anyone with what happened. They were innocent as far as I know. I think the chief was just saying he knows of the group and would like to catch them.

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    Gun on your hip? Seriously, just put a sign out side next time that says you have guns in the house.

Next time walk out there and get the plate number if possible. You just got cased and let the people go without so much as a hassle.

Hell get HD video of everyone of them and give it over to the police/sheriff's office. They are on your property.

Make them think you are nuts and will give them trouble. If you are going to answer the door don't be Mr. Nice guy victim, then they'll surely return.
    My pistol was not seen by the guy. My shirt and jacket were covering it.

Dunko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    I agree with LTScott14. You survived. Call it a 6th sense or whatever but I think most of us know when those around us are up to no good. I was tied up once at a pizza shop years ago and as soon as I walked in the door and saw the guy standing there the hair stood up on the back of my neck. The fact that you took the time to think about your options tells me you made a wise choice. Well done.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Gun on your hip? Seriously, just put a sign out side next time that says you have guns in the house (if you were carrying open). Keep concealed if at all possible.

I don't agree with this at all. If I am OC'ing, I will not cover up before answering the door. Especially in the OP's situation. The way I see it, if they can't see my truck in the driveway, and I come to the door showing they knocked on the wrong door, they will not come back another day, on the offhand possibility that I might not be there, just to find my other weapons.

Many, if not most, households have guns. BG's probably assume that & look for them anyways. They also are cowards that look for the easiest target. A house that has a guy home during the day who openly carries is not what anybody will consider an easy target.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Guys, why not ask who it is through the door instead of opening it. I never open the door until after I've asked and been answered reasonably. I stand by the side in case someone wants to try booting it down, and me with it.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Everyone is a Monday morning quarterback. You thought your way through it you did what you felt best. I am a firm believe in a small camera setup and dvr. One on the driveway one on the entry way and one on the rear or house and if one is needed inside or an addition exterior. Hide the dvr away.
    I obviously don't live far from you.
    I read your account and had the take pause.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    You did what you thought was correct at the time and under the circumstances. Since I wasn't there, I am not going to offer advice.

Thankfully all worked out well for you. These folks may have been casing your home for a later burglary. You let them know that someone was home. That, in and of itself is a deterrent.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    How/why did that officer want you to have detained the crew?

If I was going to rob a place, I'd give one heck of a knock to wake anyone who may be inside. I'd hate to Do a weak knock and find someone later. Just seems odd.

Top Bottom