• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Awesome shockwave indeed! I'm assuming the blue plasma looking "flame" behind it is from the heat generated by the electromagnetic launch as well as the mach 5 velocity?

I'm a mechanical engineer, so using explosives to launch projectiles makes good sense to me. All this electro-magnetic magic is where I get a little foggy. :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Awesome shockwave indeed! I'm assuming the blue plasma looking "flame" behind it is from the heat generated by the electromagnetic launch as well as the mach 5 velocity?

I'm a mechanical engineer, so using explosives to launch projectiles makes good sense to me. All this electro-magnetic magic is where I get a little foggy. :D

The photo is four years old and it's from the EM railgun demonstrator at the lab where it was developed, not from the prototype being delivered to the Navy this week. I don't know what the blue flame is. Railguns generate a TON of heat, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if it were contaminants on the round burning off.

Here's a reverse-angle shot of (I think) the same cannon all but destroying itself when the round is fired:

http://www.gizmag.com/us-office-of-naval-research-electromagnetic-railgun/11035/

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Meh...think about starting an electric motor...it's just like that, but instead of spinning around an axis, it goes in a straight line....but very, very fast.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    just imagine where this will lead years from now. people will have battery operated pistols. could be a very bad day if you pull it only to realize your s/o robbed a battery to feed the remote control.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    just imagine where this will lead years from now. people will have battery operated pistols. could be a very bad day if you pull it only to realize your s/o robbed a battery to feed the remote control.

This could lead to a whole new green energy industry...solar powered rifles! SolendraColt.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Sounds great. No explosives needed. Just cannonballs with no powder. One little emp will be able to take out an entire destroyer.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

If I had access to youtube while at work, i would find the video, but a guy made a "rail pistol" so to speak and it used to to send the bullet at empty cans. Granted I doubt it had enough umph to kill a guy, but im sure it could put a hurtin on some one.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I watched a couple of years ago I think it was. Where NASA decided to launch small satellite into space with a rail gun. The satellite disintegrated on launch. The electronics would not take the tremendous amount of G forces.
    Since it elementary electronics, I'd think they should be able to gradually increase the velocity to reduce initial G forces. It's the same principle as your door bell rings. A plunger is pushed through a energized coil and the magnetic field pushes the metal away. I'm told The fastest gunpowder made only explodes at about 5,500 fps and the rail gun should do 186,000 miles per second. This is a huge difference.
    Just think, we could eliminate bullet drop while hunting or shooting and if we always had a good backstop for bullet stop.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    . I'm told The fastest gunpowder made only explodes at about 5,500 fps and the rail gun should do 186,000 miles per second. This is a huge difference.

A rail gun cannot accelerate a projectile to 186,000 miles per second. That's the speed of light. The amount of energy required to accelerate an object with mass even to an appreciable fraction of the speed of light would be more than the total available on the planet Earth.

Top Bottom