• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Thank you so much for this post. I have to start looking into a light now....

I would practice holding it out away from the body while shooting one handed. I believe it is an old fbi technique. I do not know why I don't see it being trained much anymore as there is quite a bit of sound logic behind it.

I was originally taught it back in the early 90s along with the Harries (ice pick grip), and the Chapman (for lights with the on/off switch on the side). There is of course the one taught by Ayoob as well as the Rogers method. Some people are doing a method which involves holding the flashlight near the neck. It uses the ice pick grip and you hold the light below your ear by your neck/jaw line. Don't know why as it basically makes your head a target. At least with all the others (except the old fbi technique) it makes the target a bit lower enter which if you are wearing a vest doesn't seem quite as bad.

That's another thing I wanted to mention. Unless you are wearing a vest. I would think making your center a target would be a bad idea.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    An ultraviolet flashlight (445nm) is very effective at temporarily stunning people. Not that it would make or break this situation, but coupled with a strike bezel, they can be very effective close-range weapons.

JustAMom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Beech Grove, IN
    I wont be wearing a vest.... I will have to look up some kind of training. Do you think I have to figure out which way I will carry, before I look at lights? I am talking about the on off switch. I don't carry extra mags, so I think I will carry weak side.

Thanks for the reply, so much to obsess about ;)

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I wont be wearing a vest.... I will have to look up some kind of training. Do you think I have to figure out which way I will carry, before I look at lights? I am talking about the on off switch. I don't carry extra mags, so I think I will carry weak side.

Thanks for the reply, so much to obsess about ;)

I wouldn't think so. Most of the "methods" are adaptable to either rear button or side switch though I don't think there are a whole lot of "side switches" in tactical lights these days.

Whatever you choose I would definitely include the old FBI method in your practice. Besides being a good idea to be able to fire your weapon one handed if you needed to, it also puts the "target" light away from your body. I don't know about you but if I was in a situation, where firearms were in play, I would shoot at any "non-friendly" light pointed at me. Getting flashed in the face (THAT's WHAT SHE SAID - sorry had to do it before someone else did) doesn't prevent you from pulling the trigger while pointed at the blinding light.

As far as lights go I would find something with easily replaceable batteries. While I have had surefires and stingers (I still have my old surefire 8x from 95 and that things is tough... I've busted car windows with it and even had it in my fist while defending myself) I can't say how much I have grown to dislike propriety batteries and the cr123as. Now one of my main requirements are the ability to take either AA or AAA (pref AA) in small tactical lights and no bigger than C cells in others (I have a twin task UV stinger which is a c cell and is pretty nice for UV).

I am switching my m3x and m6 over to Insights AA gun lights. I bought one and it works great so far. Main reason is the AA capability. I still keep my other two (converted the m3x to led) as backups on my longarms.

Gun light. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IKTKDG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00[/ame]

For handhelds I have retired the surefire8x (still keeping it for nostalgia lol) and have switched to a Fenix (can't remember if it is the ld20 or ld22 one is 180 the other is 190 lumens) AA and a 4sevens Quark tactical (280 lumens). I just bought the Quark but have had the Fenix for a couple years now. It's been used quite a bit and is still going strong. The Quark is much brighter though so will be carrying that now.

Quark: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081ID4RO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01[/ame]

The Streamlight UV: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JVQE6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00[/ame]

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I wouldn't think so. Most of the "methods" are adaptable to either rear button or side switch though I don't think there are a whole lot of "side switches" in tactical lights these days.

Whatever you choose I would definitely include the old FBI method in your practice. Besides being a good idea to be able to fire your weapon one handed if you needed to, it also puts the "target" light away from your body. I don't know about you but if I was in a situation, where firearms were in play, I would shoot at any "non-friendly" light pointed at me. Getting flashed in the face (THAT's WHAT SHE SAID - sorry had to do it before someone else did) doesn't prevent you from pulling the trigger while pointed at the blinding light.

As far as lights go I would find something with easily replaceable batteries. While I have had surefires and stingers (I still have my old surefire 8x from 95 and that things is tough... I've busted car windows with it and even had it in my fist while defending myself) I can't say how much I have grown to dislike propriety batteries and the cr123as. Now one of my main requirements are the ability to take either AA or AAA (pref AA) in small tactical lights and no bigger than C cells in others (I have a twin task UV stinger which is a c cell and is pretty nice for UV).

I am switching my m3x and m6 over to Insights AA gun lights. I bought one and it works great so far. Main reason is the AA capability. I still keep my other two (converted the m3x to led) as backups on my longarms.

Gun light. Amazon.com: Insight Weapon Light on AA QR Pistol Kit: Sports & Outdoors

For handhelds I have retired the surefire8x (still keeping it for nostalgia lol) and have switched to a Fenix (can't remember if it is the ld20 or ld22 one is 180 the other is 190 lumens) AA and a 4sevens Quark tactical (280 lumens). I just bought the Quark but have had the Fenix for a couple years now. It's been used quite a bit and is still going strong. The Quark is much brighter though so will be carrying that now.

Quark: Amazon.com: 4Sevens/Foursevens Quark Tactical QT2A-X/"X" AA² Black Finish / Cool White LED; 2XAA; 280 Lumens: Camera & Photo

The Streamlight UV: Amazon.com: Streamlight 51010 Twin-Task 3C 9-Inch UV Flashlight, Black: Home Improvement

Great advice, but I dont' agree with the lights chosen. For roughly the same money or cheaper you can get Streamlight lights with much higher lumen output and better battery life.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-TLR-1S-Mounted-Tactical-Strobe/dp/B005G4GBQ2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1"]Amazon.com: Streamlight TLR-1S Rail Mounted Tactical with Strobe: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88040-Professional-Tactical-Holster/dp/B007RB82CS/ref=sr_1_8?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1343489573&sr=1-8&keywords=Streamlight+flashlight"]Amazon.com: Streamlight 88040 ProTAC HL High Lumen Professional Tactical Light with white LED and Holster, Black: Home Improvement[/ame]

Sure, the batteries are CR123A's, but you can buy them online and in bulk all year round. The battery is what makes the light capable of putting out as much light as possible. The TLR-1 is cheaper and also has a strobe feature.

ETA: Here are your batteries. Not that expensive...
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/12-Pack-Surefire-SF12-BB-Lithium-Batteries/dp/B00063SN6E/ref=pd_sim_hi_17[/ame]

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Great advice, but I dont' agree with the lights chosen. For roughly the same money or cheaper you can get Streamlight lights with much higher lumen output and better battery life.

Amazon.com: Streamlight TLR-1S Rail Mounted Tactical with Strobe: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Streamlight 88040 ProTAC HL High Lumen Professional Tactical Light with white LED and Holster, Black: Home Improvement

Sure, the batteries are CR123A's, but you can buy them online and in bulk all year round. The battery is what makes the light capable of putting out as much light as possible. The TLR-1 is cheaper and also has a strobe feature.

ETA: Here are your batteries. Not that expensive...
    Amazon.com: 12-Pack Surefire SF12-BB Box of 12 123A 3 Volt Lithium Batteries SF123A: Electronics

Good lights, I like those brands as well. I just can't stand having to bulk order those batteries. I used to so I would always have some on hand but then I had to worry about shelf life. Especially at 2 bucks a battery. I finally got rechargeables for my m3x and m6 but still like the convenience of the AAs.

Though I will say at 600 lumens for the 88040 I would consider buying that and keeping a couple extra rechargeable cr123s for that in addition to my AA lights.

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    Dave Spaulding has a great story about shooting a SWAT warrior in the nuts while his magic force-field flashlight "blinded" Dave.

With respect to the author I fail to see how a flashlight will disable a lunatic's trigger finger, perhaps I am incorrect.

I'll bring Chompy along with me to the movies. Hope management and my fellow movier goers do not mind. Maybe I'll give him a squeaky mailman to play with.

Look, if we want to prevent Mad Man from going on shooting sprees, eliminate the no gun zones where they do their work. All this gaming the system and tactical shmatical stuff is only ignoring the real problem.
    This is the answer right here. One person returning fire probably ends this situation. Even with the body armor this guy was probably not prepared to be shot or even shot at.

Top Bottom