• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Got this in my inbox from gunbroker.com newsletter.

Updating AR-15's Image

The National Shooting Sports Foundation is trying to rebuild the image of the AR-15 rifle and you can help. The NSSF has coined the term Modern Sporting Rifle to more accurately describe the AR-15 platform and is asking that shooters do the same. The NSSF asks you to be an informed gun owner and to use the following facts to correct misconceptions about these rifles.

If AR-15-style modern sporting rifles are banned, your favorite traditional-looking hunting or target shooting semi-automatic firearm could be banned, too.

´ AR-15-platform rifles are among the most popular firearms being sold. They are today's modern sporting rifle.

´ The AR in "AR-15" rifle stands for Armalite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. "AR" does NOT stand for "assault rifle" or "automatic rifle."

´ AR-15-style rifles are NOT "assault weapons" or "assault rifles." An assault rifle is fully automatic -- a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.

´ AR-15-style rifles look like military rifles, such as the M-16, but function like other semi-automatic civilian sporting firearms, firing only one round with each pull of the trigger.

´ Versions of modern sporting rifles are legal to own in all 50 states, provided the purchaser passes the mandatory FBI background check required for all retail firearm purchasers.

´ Since the 19th century, civilian sporting rifles have evolved from their military predecessors. The modern sporting rifle simply follows that tradition.

´ AR-15-style rifles are no more powerful than other hunting rifles of the same caliber and in most cases are chambered in calibers less powerful than common big-game hunting cartridges like the 30-06 Springfield and .300 Win. Mag.

´ And, they are a lot of fun to shoot!

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    I always called an AR-15 a rifle. That is all it is. Nothing more Nothing less. I hate when people think they are baby killing machines sent from the future.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    YOu beat me to it. I got the same email and was going to post it.

"modern sporting rifle" I like it.

Can we also change the terminology for what they call "cop killers" to "paper punchers"

"that's a right mean paper puncher you got there."

"these are unrestricted 'paper puncher' rounds"

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Seriously? You never use your firearms for sporting purposes?

Allowing the antis to force us to find "less scary" descriptions for our chosen arms is a slippery slope, IMO. It leaves the same bad taste in my mouth that I get whenever someone mentions the 2nd Amendment in the context of hunting or sport. That's not what it's there for. "Sporting purposes" are not why I keep and maintain proficiency with AR type rifles.

This isn't the first time a new term for ARs and such has been proposed. "Homeland defense rifle" I could almost get behind. "Sport/utility rifle" waters things down a bit, but OK. "Modern sporting rifle" is just silly.

I also have a problem with the fact that the NSSF has decided to come to the aid of AR-style rifles because some of their folks hunt with them; they day they do a similar press release defending AKs, HK-style rifles and other semi-autos of military origin, maybe I'll give them a bit more respect.

At the end of the day, though, it doesn't matter what we call these types of firearms; the antis and their lackeys in the mainstream media will still call them "evil baby-killing weapons of mass destruction," and the government will still maintain that "just because a firearm is used in a sport, does not mean it is 'suitable for sporting purposes' in the eyes of the law".

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Good thought, but Modern? The AR-15 is a very aged design. Sporting? Yeah, most folks (obviously not Shooter521) probably use their AR-15's for sporting purposes. This term will never fly. Folks just won't use the term. Heck, I can't even get myself to pronounce Garand right.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I think an AK is also a modern sporting rifle. All the AK's I've ever seen were used for sporting. Modern sporting rifles can be used for other purposes (e.g. homeland defense, homestead defense), but their most common usage is for sporting. I like.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Sporting? Absolutely!

I've got two AR-15s. Both have 24" varmint barrels. One is a .223, the other is a .204. They are both capable of shooting 1" at 100 yards but would not be anybody's choice for a self defense arm. I do have another lower which might end up with an upper more suitable for such use, though.

Perhaps some AR shooters are unaware that a very large number of AR-15s are used for purposes other than anti-personnel. They are legal for use on many game animals in many states and their popularity in prairie dog towns is growing rapidly as more shooters become aware of the long range accuracy potential. Ask formerly famous hunting writer and TV personality Jim Zumbo what happens when you decide to publicly lambast the AR platform as a "terrorist weapon" and declare it of no use for hunting. Can you say unemployment?

Yep, the AR can be a great self defense arm. It can be a great plinker. It can be chambered in a multitude of calibers. An OTC varminter will easily shoot 1 MOA and ARs are often used in competition. I'd even venture a guess that AR platforms are used more often for hunting and target shooting than for any other use, not counting LE of course. It is this very versatility that makes it a great sporting rifle. To say it is limited to any of the above uses is somewhat narrow minded. Whether it's "modern" or not is irrelevant.

All that said, I refuse to call them assault rifles and consider use of the term by the media as a sign of ignorance at best and a political stance at worse.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Allowing the antis to force us to find "less scary" descriptions for our chosen arms is a slippery slope, IMO. It leaves the same bad taste in my mouth that I get whenever someone mentions the 2nd Amendment in the context of hunting or sport. That's not what it's there for. "Sporting purposes" are not why I keep and maintain proficiency with AR type rifles.

This isn't the first time a new term for ARs and such has been proposed. "Homeland defense rifle" I could almost get behind. "Sport/utility rifle" waters things down a bit, but OK. "Modern sporting rifle" is just silly.

I also have a problem with the fact that the NSSF has decided to come to the aid of AR-style rifles because some of their folks hunt with them; they day they do a similar press release defending AKs, HK-style rifles and other semi-autos of military origin, maybe I'll give them a bit more respect.

At the end of the day, though, it doesn't matter what we call these types of firearms; the antis and their lackeys in the mainstream media will still call them "evil baby-killing weapons of mass destruction," and the government will still maintain that "just because a firearm is used in a sport, does not mean it is 'suitable for sporting purposes' in the eyes of the law".

Well..............screw it, ditto the above post of shooter521, it is like he is in my head.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    Originally Posted by shooter521

Well..............screw it, ditto the above post of shooter521, it is like he is in my head.

I disagree. I don't do "dittoes" and I don't want anyone in my head. Contrary to what some think, VERY, VERY few of us are "Black Ops" and 98% of what we do with our ARs, AKs etc. is "sporting".
    (Exceptions are when I engage in my anti-zombie drills, of course.;))

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I never claimed I was, either; please don't put words in my mouth. Thanks.

If I decide to mention something you claimed, it will be in a quote. You were not mentioned and unless YOU consider yourself "Black Ops" there is no reason for the comment to concern you. :dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    unless YOU consider yourself "Black Ops" there is no reason for the comment to concern you. :dunno:

I don't see anywhere in this thread where "Black Ops" were mentioned, so the only way I can see your comment relating to the discussion is as a veiled swipe at those of us who keep Black Rifles for reasons other than "sport". If I inferred incorrectly, I apologize.

And to clarify for some who might have gotten the wrong idea - I do use my ARs for sport, but to me that's just a means by which to maintain proficiency with them, rather than the primary reason for owning them. I see a big distinction there.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I don't see anywhere in this thread where "Black Ops" were mentioned, so the only way I can see your comment relating to the discussion is as a veiled swipe at those of us who keep Black Rifles for reasons other than "sport". If I inferred incorrectly, I apologize.

And to clarify for some who might have gotten the wrong idea - I do use my ARs for sport, but to me that's just a means by which to maintain proficiency with them, rather than the primary reason for owning them. I see a big distinction there.

"Black Ops" was mentioned by me three times including this reply to make a point (my point !). Also, I, too, keep my ARs for "other than sport" and I don't make "veiled swipe(s)" about anything. Unless I am making a joke, you won't have any trouble "catching my drift", so to speak.
    Have a nice day. ;)

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Well I don't see directly anything wrong with trying to give the AR a better image. The problem is, some people see an AR, an AK, an HK, ... and all they can think of is assault rifle. Most people who think that don't know the difference between a true assault rifle (ie. select fire) and what some law calls an assault rifle due to its evil features. They just have images and language in their head and when they see it, it's a bad or evil rifle. So, trying to associate some of these rifles with 'sport' or modern sporting rifle I don't think is a bad thing. At least it shows that there are other uses for these rifles.

Not sure though if it is really sportsmen's like what we do, are we giving the paper target a fair chance.:D

Top Bottom