• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We'd been talking about it for a little while now. I first broached the subject with her when she started asking questions about the rules about carrying handguns. Like, "can you really bring a gun into this restaurant, Wal-Mart, ... ?" I explained the legality of carrying concealed in Indiana and what my permit allowed me to do.

I then explained that to carry or have on your person a handgun anywhere outside your home or on private property was against the law. And, should I ever happen to leave a handgun in our truck, and she drove it without me and would get pulled over, she could get into some deep doo-doo.

So, we talked for a while, and today she went down to the police station to pick up the application. She said she felt a little wierd walking up and asking for it, and the clerk looked at her funny as well (she knows my wife, and was as suprised as much as anything).

We're going to work on her letter, and then get everything together to send off.

And it gets better...I thought she was just going to get it so that she was safe in the case of the example above regarding driving the truck. I said "since you'll have your permit, we need to get you a gun of your own." She actually thought that was an ok idea!!!! :rockwoot:

This is huge...she went from the "Why do you need all these guns" wife, to one that tolerated them, to one that actually didn't give me a bunch of trouble when I brought a new one home, to one that is actually interested in having her own!

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    RIGHT ON! Good for you AND her! I asked my fiancee to get hers for MY birthday... I thought it was a good idea, but shes on the fence.

+1 to you sir!

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I keep wanting my wife to get hers. I love the "birthday" idea. The biggest problem for my wife carrying is that she works at Atterbury. You can't carry there so the long drive from indy everyday is an unarmed one. We met in when we were on active duty so I know she has no problems with pulling the trigger but she thinks it's unnecessary to carry around civ's. Plus we already have the "ammo is a waste of money" talks.

She is asking more questions and wants to get out and shoot more often. I really can agree with you as far as leaving it in the car. I mean if we go somewhere I can't carry and I leave it in the car...... she drives away and then she is a felon.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    She is asking more questions and wants to get out and shoot more often. I really can agree with you as far as leaving it in the car. I mean if we go somewhere I can't carry and I leave it in the car...... she drives away and then she is a felon.

I think that is what sealed the deal for her. $135 (or whatever the final fees are, I can't remember) is a cheap price to pay to easily avoid a situation that could lead to a felony.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You are required to write a letter explaining why you are applying for the permit. All you need to say is that you are excersizing your 2nd Ammedment RKBA. The examples they gave me when I completed the application was things like you regularly carry large amounts of cash, use the pistol for hunting, etc.

But, all of that is just extra. The 2nd Ammendment is enough.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I just applied for my CCW 2 months ago (Morgan Co.) and didn't have to write any kind of letter at all. There was a blank on the form asking "reason for request" or something to that affect, but no letter necessary. Different rules in different counties?

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    My fiance is getting her LTCH this week. She exercises outdoors and with all the recent rapes and other crimes in the Bloomington area I thought it was time she had a gun. I sold two of my long guns and bought her a .38 revolver for Christmas - and I also bought her a blender just in case the gun gift was a bust. She loved it, and plans to carry (the gun, I mean).

No letter required in Owen county either.

oldschoolmuscle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2008
    where the green grass grows
    My fiance is getting her LTCH this week. She exercises outdoors and with all the recent rapes and other crimes in the Bloomington area I thought it was time she had a gun. I sold two of my long guns and bought her a .38 revolver for Christmas - and I also bought her a blender just in case the gun gift was a bust. She loved it, and plans to carry (the gun, I mean).

lol i wouldnt mess with a chick that had a blender with a shredder blade on it... haha:):

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You are required to write a letter explaining why you are applying for the permit. All you need to say is that you are excersizing your 2nd Ammedment RKBA. The examples they gave me when I completed the application was things like you regularly carry large amounts of cash, use the pistol for hunting, etc.

But, all of that is just extra. The 2nd Ammendment is enough.

No letter is required by law; "proper reason" is required. "Proper reason" is defined as "defense of ones self or of the state."

In most cases there is a blank on the form for reason, and I have always put "personal protection".

If the local authority is asking for a letter, I would put "My reason for applying for a handgun license is for self defense." and nothing more, and then take them to court if they ask for something more.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

Gosh, I thought it was a State thing, but it must be City/Co? I'm in Seymour / Jackson Co.

Top Bottom