• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    For the past few months I've been wearing a Timex from Wal-Mart. It did a fine job for what I paid for it but I'm tired if buying them.In my search for a replacement, I'm leaning two very different directions. My K.I.S.S. side is telling me to go with a simple WWII era GI style analog on a NATO strap. My prepper side says to get something like a ProTrek or G Shock with a compass and other doodads.Whatever I get has to be able to handle abuse.
    Any recommendations?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I got a Seiko automatic that I love...I will see if I can scrounge up a pic...They retail for about $140 but can be found NIB on Ebay for about $80...

Here is a pic...$80 is the price...

seiko-watches-mens-seiko-5-automatic-green-dial-green-fabric-snk805k2-p-40313.jpg

Rockhopper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Boonville

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I wore Luminox for years and swore by them (and still do), but the radio controlled Citizen Eco Drive I bought a few months hasn't left my wrist since I brought it home. It's always on time, right down to the second, and no more replacing batteries. I really wish they would make a titanium version with tritium though.
    Citizen Citizen Eco-Drive Perpetual Chrono A-T AT4007-54E Atomic Timekeeping

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    I ordered a Seiko form Amazon, and 3 months later it broke. Seiko would not honor the warranty and wanted more than I paid to fix it. Be careful where you buy your Seiko.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i have a tissot that loses about a second or two a month...very accurate...cost 210...a citizens (non eco drive) and its very accurate ...i prefer the tissot...i bought them at cost when i worked at kay jewelers 7 years ago...buy once cry once...

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have a lot of watches. I love watches!

You mention you want a watch for SHTF situations. And that's a good idea. Time is a vital element of navigation.
    And it's very useful for rendevous or figuring out the season.
    You can even use a watch as a compass. If the sun is out.

So toss everything that requires a battery out the window.

Self winding (automatic) are too expensive and require too much maintanance.

Buy a couple of wind watches. Put them in your safe. And you're good forever.

The other stuff is cool to look at. But for any real use, losing a minute or two a day is perfectly acceptable.
    Going dead because a battery wore out, or your Swiss movement got too much vibration isn't.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    a watch will not let you down when a cell phone will as most cell phone batteries last a day...whereas a watch battery last for 3-5+ years...i would get a citizens, seiko, bulova, or a tissot...i am sure you can find one of those to fit your budget...citizens has an eco drive that runs on light and they are very durable

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I haven't worn a watch in YEARS !!!!! I have a cell phone !!!!!

I do too... but there are places my watch can go that my phone can't, and I can look at my watch when I am using my hands for other things.

My budget is less than $100. It sucks to be poor.

Got my G-shock for less than that. Just shop them and watch for coupons, etc.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I wore Luminox for years and swore by them (and still do), but the radio controlled Citizen Eco Drive I bought a few months hasn't left my wrist since I brought it home. It's always on time, right down to the second, and no more replacing batteries. I really wish they would make a titanium version with tritium though.
    Citizen Citizen Eco-Drive Perpetual Chrono A-T AT4007-54E Atomic Timekeeping

I've been using this same watch for a little over a year now and I agree that it's awesome. It's very versatile in the fact that it looks good when you're dressed up, but not so fancy that it looks out of place with just jeans and a t-shirt.

No batteries, no need to set it. I love the Eco drive. I wear it everyday.

MSRP is.$625, but I got mine on ebay for about half that.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom