• ...and so much more!
  • nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    A few years ago, I owned a couple Handi Rifles. Sold them, and moved on to bolt actions. Recently, I got the inkling to pick one up for fun. Almost bought one in S&W 500, but couldn't justify the ammo costs for a range toy. Cabelas has a good, jacketed round for $1.60/rd, but you have to buy 200 rounds! :xmad:

A couple months ago, I was browsing the local gun show, when something caught my eye. It was a short barreled Handi. Sign said "Talo 357 Handi"

From the factory, 357 and 44 mag barrels are 22", no sights, and a scope rail. This one was 18&3/4" barrel with Williams sights. Since I like 'unique', I ended up buying it;

DII_8131w.jpg

I revisited the H&R forum, and found that Talo sold 200 .357 and .44 magnums a few years ago. But that the extra barrels that H&R had were gone. I called H&R, and was that they had some. Sent the receiver and stock, and two weeks later got it back with a 44mag barrel;

DII_8207w.jpg

:rockwoot:

Due to old eyes and bifocals, I changed the top part of the rear sight to a ghost ring from Midway for $5 each.

DII_8155w.jpg

DII_8166w.jpg

Got both sighted in a couple nights ago. :rockwoot:

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I have an older H&R handi in 44 mag with rifle sights, do u know if they have .357 barrels available? Am I reading your post correct that the 2 barrels are interchangeable on the same receiver?

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I have an older H&R handi in 44 mag with rifle sights, do u know if they have .357 barrels available? Am I reading your post correct that the 2 barrels are interchangeable on the same receiver?

The guy I talked said they had a few of the Talo 18 & 3/4" barrels available, even though they're not listed here;

H&R 1871 - Barrel Accessory Program

The barrels are interchangeable, but you have to send your stock and receiver in to have it fitted.

There are 2 types of receivers, SB1 and SB2. SB1 receivers can only be fitted with 357mag,44mag, and shotgun barrels. SB2 receivers can be fitted with any shotgun or centerfire barrel. Up until 2007, the 44mags used the SB2 receivers, since then, they come on SB1s. Either way, you're good to go. But if yours in an SB2, it gives you more options if you so desire. ;)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The Talo specials are great. Short Handi rifles. 357 44 mag perfect for short barrel. The firesight front glows for you.

I just always wondered why the rear sight is so far forward on those guns. I would have rather had the rear sight further to the rear.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    The Talo specials are great. Short Handi rifles. 357 44 mag perfect for short barrel. The firesight front glows for you. .

Mine didn't come with the firesight. Probably just as well since I had to file it down to use the ghost ring. I did paint the rear of the blade bright yellow, btw. ;)

Thanks Nipprdog! Hate the factory rear sight on my .357, this will make life ALOT easier at the 100 yard range!

Is yours a Talo, with the sight like mine, or does yours have one of the rear sights where the scope rail goes? I had to file my front sight down a little(5/32") to use the ghost ring. It could be used without filing, but the ghost ring stuck out halfway on the base.

Top Bottom