• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    So, when I was a kid, my father bought two Stevens model 954 .22lr semi auto, magazine fed rifles. These were made by Savage for Stevens. Fast forward 15 years, I was looking for a fun little plinking rifle and host for a suppressor, which is still to come. I remembered the Stevens and called my dad. Went and picked it up and could tell it had sat in the case the entire 15 years.

After a thorough cleaning and test firing to ensure function, I got to work. I traded some brass I had laying around for a Simmons 3-9 scope. After finding some rings that lift the scope so I can still see the irons, I mounted the scope and shot it to ensure it would hold zero.
    picture.php

I then sent the barrel of with Corey of SSNFA to be threaded. A few weeks later, the barrel was back and looking great!
    picture.php

So then it was time for paint. I stripped the gun down and started with the stock. The stock was in good condition, so I sanded it down and hit it with flat OD green Krylon. I know its not the most durable, but it will work fine for this application. Shortly there after, my duracoat came in. I went with "tactical black". This is in duracoat's ultra-flat line of colors. I had a vacation coming up where I would be gone almost a week, so to keep me from re-assembling it too soon, I sprayed the receiver, barrel, scope, and all the small parts before I left inculding the trigger and magazines. I returned home from my vacation and began assembly. I learned a valuable lesson, if it was hard to get a part into a spot before duracoat, it will be extremely hard after duracoat. I had to sand some off on the barrel to get it to fit in the receiver again. Re-assembled and am now ready to go shooting!
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Now all I need is a suppressor! Enjoy INGO!

mattdennis3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Lebanon
    Nice job. Looks sweet. Each time I see a thread it makes me get the itch to take on a project like this. Soon maybe. Can't wait to see it with the can.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Nice job. Looks sweet. Each time I see a thread it makes me get the itch to take on a project like this. Soon maybe. Can't wait to see it with the can.
    The project worked for me because it didn't cost me much. I already had the rifle. I traded for the scope. $75 for the threading, $45 for the duracoat, and $5 for the krylon. I couldn't be happier. Well, I guess I could be happier, I could have a can on there, but soon!

Top Bottom